Innocuous Error Message

grampaw

New (actually Scratch and Dent) Computer from Dell - loaded with tons of software, most of which I have no clue what is, so I'm methodically uninstalling. And of course adding the software I'm familar with, such as ImgBurn.

Anyway, when I run ImgBurn, I get the following message. I just ignore it since the burns are normal and verify. I'm just curious why I get the message. Dosn't matter if I first start ImgBurn, then put DVD blank in, or do it in the reverse order, I always get this same message.

I 16:53:05 ImgBurn Version 1.2.0.0 started!

I 16:53:05 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 16:53:05 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:53:05 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 16:53:10 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom0'

E 16:53:10 Reason: The device is not ready.

W 16:53:10 Errors were encountered when trying to access a drive.

W 16:53:10 This drive will not be visible in the program.

I 16:53:10 Found 1 DVD?RW!

I expect something else running on that PC already has control of the drive and has 'locked' it so nothing else can use it.

Follow the post in the FAQ about finding out which other program is accessing your drive and why 'lock volume' fails with an 'access denied' error. You might then find out what's causing it.

It involves using 'Process Explorer'.

The two "E" and "W" messages disappeared and the log looks normal now. ImgBurn now finds the DVD writer instantly.

I was going to do the recommeded diagnostic to find out why the DVD writer had a delayed recognition, however, I wanted to first setup the computer with my preferred software. The computer came with Sonic MyDVD LE loaded, which includes a Roxio stuff - DLA packet-writing app could be the problem.

Anyway, I figured I'd leave the Sonic stuff on for now. I'm not a Roxio fan - buggy and intrusive software, nor do I care for Nero - bloated and incredibly bizarre interface. I like NTI CD/DVD Maker verion 7, - nice interface for music, photos, video, and even shrinks DVD files. And their packet writer, FileCD, is not intrusive.

So I loaded that software, and LOL, some setting must have gotten changed somewhere, since now ImgBurn finds the DVD writer immediately.

you are more than likely right about the packet writing software, first thing i would have done with that pc was to make a ghost image of everything on there, or look for the hidden partition and backit up, then delete it, which would probably void your warranty, then reinstall xp if they gave it to you, which i doubt, if you got the sticker on pc, i would phone them up and demand the cd they installed xp with.

You paid for it, or find a mate with the corp edition and install then just put in the programs you use and like.

Edited by dontasciime

Dell didn't give me the WinXP MCE disk with the "Scratch and Dent" package. It did, however, come with a 3 year onsite warranty (Dell classified it as a business computer) which I will use if things get too screwed up. First time I contact Dell support I'll try to get a CD, however. They only charge $10 more with an original order.

So I do a lot of restore points when loading up new software. I also generally don't uninstall unless it's necessary. I don't really care if it's a clean system, I only care if the system works. Roxio software is a real problem since it generally neither uninstalls nor updates correctly - so the plan there is to just ignore it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.