Burning a Xbox360-game stops at 20~30%

goodiegood

i dont understand this..

i have now wasted 3 DVD+R DL discs just to try burning 1 single game.. each time it has just stopped.

first it didn't bother to start burning at all. it didn't go past 0%. the second time it stopped on 22%. the third time it stopped at 27%... the 'time elapsed' counter keeps on counting the seconds and minutes, but the % doesn't move at all. i've tried writing at 2.4x speed the first 2 times, then on 3x speed the last time. it just stops burning. i cannot even eject the dvd-rom now... it's locked. that happens every time i try burning. i must reboot the pc before i can eject.... i fail to understand what's the big deal... why cannot it just work?

some useful info:

- the burner, pioneer dvr-216d, is brand new. bought it today

- i use the .dvd-file when i choose the file i want to burn

- i am currently on a windows xp pro sp3

- no anti-virus running

- using the .dvd-file when i start burning

- my dvd+r dl are by verbatim

- i've got a amd phenom2 x720 cpu with 3.5gb ddr2 ram

- i am using the newest imgburn downloaded from this site

- i have tried burning at both 2.4x and 3x speed

what i haven't tried doing yet, is to burn a regular dvd+r and see how that goes...

perhaps the entire dvd-burner is defect, huh? if so, then that sucks... would have to get a refund etc.. gee...

any other suggestions, perhaps?

Edited by goodiegood

3x speed

Sounds as your drivers are reporting something odd. I have the same burner but no such speed on my Verbatims.

Can you post a log from one of those less good burns?

:)

is your firmware up 2 date?

yep, i updated it right after i installed/plugged the burner.

3x speed

Sounds as your drivers are reporting something odd. I have the same burner but no such speed on my Verbatims.

Can you post a log from one of those less good burns?

:)

hmm... i see... so... do you reckon it can be something wrong with my discs or the burner itself?

unfortunately, i've got no logs from my less good burns..

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the SATA controller where the burner is connected to.

hmm.. not sure how i update the sata controller. the sata controller where i connected the burner to hasn't been in use before. the burner is the ports first hardware. how do i update just that sata controller then...?

also, i tried burning some other console games (ps2 and ps1) with regular dvd-r's and cd-r's (all discs from verbatim) by using dvd decrypt. that went all good, actually. but then i tried burning the same ps2 game on another verbatim dvd-r disc with imgburn... it stopped at 1%......

so, i went through my entire computer, uninstalled ALL image burning programs (apparently i had a few installed), all virtual driver programs and ran ccleaner to clean out some registry stuff before i rebooted the pc.

now i have just re-installed imgburn 2.4.4.0 downloaded from main site.

EDIT: ok... so i just tried to burn another ps2 game using a dvd-r (verbatim) after i've removed all the other burning applications, and wohooo! NOW it managed to burn the game! i left the burning speed on 'automatic (AWS)'. it burned the ps2 game successfully on 11x speed. perhaps i could give a try with another DL disc now?

EDIT2: riiight... so i started to burn a xbox 360 game yet again (following all the stealth patching instructions etc), chose the .dvd-file and then hit the burn button. it started to burn. it worked pretty well until 66%, which is when it stopped working again........... :( i don't get this.... it just won't handle DL discs, huh? now i am getting even more frustrated... 3rd DL disc that goes down the drain.................... "/%#&"/%&/!

Edited by goodiegood

now that your drive picks up media at the correct speeds 2.4x 4x 8x 10x etc use 2.4 or 4x.

Scan all the hard rives for errors and tick box to auto fix folder file system errors only.

what you mean? where is this box that i have to tick/enable for scanning the harddrives?

i will first try to figure out the stuff before i try burning again... i don't want to waste more DL discs... =/

Use SIW/Sandra/etc to find out which SATA controller you have then use Google to find out the manufacturer's website from where you can download the latest driver.

where do i find the SATA controller? am i in the correct location here?:

http://bildr.no/view/406605

I mean check all your hard drives for errors in windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

this bit Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.

Click Properties, and then click Tools.

Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,

Use one of the following procedures:

To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

maybe change sata cable / change the port and see how sata is setup in bios - if AHCI mode or AUTO then maybe try emulated IDE.

i see... well.. ok.. i ran the check for all my discs/drives, but it didn't find any errors from what i could see...

the only thing i can do now, is to change the SATA-cable that's connected to my burner and to the SATA-port, and maybe even change the port.

do you reckon that i should change the AHCI mode to emulated IDE if it's on AUTO?

any other things i could try out before i try burning again, perhaps?

Did you ever work out what controller your drive is on?

Which chipset does your motherboard use - or which motherboard do you have?

no, i didn't. i am not sure where to look for that in SIW... i posted a picture above.. where do i find the controller?

not really sure about the chipset, but the motherboard is GA-MA790X-UD4.

here you can view my full hardware list:

http://www.elgen.net/Hardware.html

hope that can give you the info you need.

Ok, I guess the only driver you can install is the one off Gigabyte's support page.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...st=xp#anchor_os

i.e. this one - http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Drive....0_xp-novga.exe

Oh and try to turn off any ahci / enhanced ide modes in your bios.

You might just find it's a problem with your drive though. Do you have access to any other PC's you could try it in?

Drivers wouldn't normally just stop it working for DL media, they'd stop it working for everything.

ah. thanks for those suggestions.

i'll try installing that driver you suggested and then i will try and look for those ahci/enhanced ide modes in my bios and turn them off.

sadly, i don't own another pc that i could try it on..

there's another thing i could try... i am quite sure that when i got my SATA HDD (Seagate), after few weeks, it started to act quite so weird and disfunctional. i switched the SATA HDD (at that time i had 2x IDE HDD's and 1x SATA HDD) to a different SATA-port on my motherboard AND i changed the SATA-connector cable with a new cable and after that, it worked brilliantly. this was on my old PC. i bought a new pc about a month ago. the HDD still works goodiegood now with the same SATA connector cable, BUT THE PROBLEM i guess is that i've got 3-4 SATA-ports on this motherboard.. i've probably used the wrong SATA-port for the burner AND/OR i've used the sort of defect SATA connector cable... so i will try and change both the port + connector cable after i've done the steps you've mentioned.

do you reckon that could be an issue, perhaps?

alrighty...

i went through all the above mentioned things, and here's what i've done for now:

- updated BIOS with @BIOS-program to the one's that i was linked to

- i switched out the old SATA connector cable (the one that goes to the burner) with a new one, but i DID NOT switch SATA-ports yet!

- i went into the BIOS and checked for the AHCI.. it was set to 'NATIVE IDE' while the 2 other options were 'RAID' and 'AHCI' - so i didn't bother to touch that... is it ok?

- i reinstalled ImgBurn (newest version downloaded from imgburn.com) and checked that no other burning apps were installed...

- i burned a ps1 game successfully by using a verbatim cd-r at 4x speed with imgburn. no probs there. it stayed at 3.9~4x speed all the time.

here's the latest hardware scan: http://www.elgen.net/Hardware.html

do you got other pointers or should i try giving the xbox360 burn another try, huh?

Edited by goodiegood

fakkkkk!

i didn't work. it's probably the burner that's defect then... either that or the DL discs are defect, although i've got singaporean Verbatim DVD+R DL discs...

it stopped again. this time at 85%...

what do i do now?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.