NOT enough space on this disc to burn the image

Allen Cain

I have an interesting problem using:

1) DVDFab (to rip ENTIRE DVD's)

2) Nero Recode (to burn "main movie to DVD" image)

3) Imageburn (to burn the dvd to a single-layer disc)

After I verify the burn is okay, I delete the original - and save the image [only] to conserve drive space.

On certain "projects" I get an error from Imageburn indicating: "There doesn't appear to be enough space on this disc to burn the image".

I am totally confused for several reasons, and will note that:

A) The image file size is less than 4.7GB (as displayed by "properties")

B) My burns work 99.9 percent the rest of the time - perfectly (with verifications from Imageburn)

C) This error seems to occur with newer "projects"; this seems to be a recent development - but I have only just begun to use "images" (to save space)

D) When I do not use Nero Recode, and use DVDFab to create the image (to DVD-5) it works perfectly.

Is this some sort of wierd "copy-guard" issue? It is not a big deal, I prefer to use Nero Recode [high quality mode] but DVDFab seems to do the job.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance; Allen, San Francisco Bay Area - California / USA

(I have submitted this string to DVDFab, Imageburn and Nero.)

(In case this matters to someone: Lite-on burner; Taiyo Yuden media; Windows XP)

Edited by Allen Cain

Your problem is not with ImgBurn. :unsure:

I would suggest that you wait for a reply from the transcoding programs that you mention in your posts and post here, with a failed logfile as we always request, if you have a problem with ImgBurn; since we really do not encourage or assist with ripping problems, as your post suggests. :thumbup:

Thank you for the reply - No doubt it is NOT coming from Imageburn - it rocks. I was hoping someone knew something about this... The "error" from Imageburn comes from a window that pops up that reads "There doesn't appear to be enough space on this disc to burn the image" and shows the blank space available on the (single layer) media (about 4.7GB) and then the image has a much larger file size displayed (compared to the [explorer] properties of the file). I will provide the exact numbers (file sizes) on a later date.

It is like Nero Recode is adding an "invisible" file to the image.

The fact that the Nero image does not work but the dvdfab image does... I am confident Imageburn is doing it thing as it is supposed to. Thank you - Allen

"I would suggest that you wait for a reply from the transcoding programs that you mention in your posts and post here, with a failed logfile as we always request, if you have a problem with ImgBurn; since we really do not encourage or assist with ripping problems, as your post suggests."

Edited by Allen Cain

It would have been much easier if you'd provided exact details in your first post of the error box that popped up - don't tease us by saying you'll post them later! It's good practice to not post until you have all the details to hand.

Either press CTRL+C when it's on the screen to copy its contents to the clipboard and then 'paste' into a reply or just get a screenshot.

btw, the image needs to be 4.37GB in size, not 4.7GB.

It would have been much easier if you'd provided exact details in your first post of the error box that popped up - don't tease us by saying you'll post them later! It's good practice to not post until you have all the details to hand.

Either press CTRL+C when it's on the screen to copy its contents to the clipboard and then 'paste' into a reply or just get a screenshot.

btw, the image needs to be 4.37GB in size, not 4.7GB.

Will do: it is a pleasure/honor getting a reply from you; I have followed your work since before DVD "Decrypter". Will provide more details, sorry for the incomplete posting.

Do take note of the maximum that LUK specified. It is 4.37Gb, or around 4,700,000,000 bytes on a DVD5. This is because a Gb is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes.

Regards

Do take note of the maximum that LUK specified. It is 4.37Gb, or around 4,700,000,000 bytes on a DVD5. This is because a Gb is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes.

Regards

Understood: I will also point out that I consider myself an advanced user, and again my burns work perfectly 99 percent of the time. This "anamoly" comes from Imageburn seeing an "invisible" file or file(s) that recode is somehow producing or associating with a DVD image that Imageburn "thinks" is larger than it is. Was that confusing? So I swear it is not a "settings" issue. Next time it occurs I will take screen-shots and "Lighting UK" showed me how to "display" the error using a "control" command.

So I will be able to update this post in the near future but due to the infrequency of this issue, it might be a while.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Allen

Edited by Allen Cain

Nero Recode is notorious on either oversizing or undersizing the amount of desired MB you specify in the settings. :(

Cynthia is right on that!

I stopped using recode because of that,,,,

i went back to DVDShrink,,

• 4 weeks later...

So here it is; again - this happens with "new" projects: Properties tab indicates image is x amount (in Windows); imageburn "sees" something else. As stated previously, Nero appears to be adding "invisible" files. I used dvdfab to complete the image and it "fit" just fine. Thank you for everyones help - Allen Cain, San Francisco Bay Area (California). (Images should be here/available.)

post-20255-1244121706_thumb.jpg

post-20255-1244121736_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I don't see what you're pointing out?

You've loaded an nrg file there, not an ISO.

nrg files have a header/footer which accounts for the difference between the physical file size and the size reported by ImgBurn when you load said nrg file.

Whichever way you look at it, the file is too big for the disc.

Always nice to hear from you lightning; excuse me, I am relatively new at this. So why does Nero seem to work 99 percent of the time? this only happens with "fresh, out-of-the-box"

projects; which is why I thought it was some unique copy-guard. Thank you for your time, and all of your expertise!

Target size - yes, that is what is driving me nuts (in addition to the fact that it works 99 percent of the time and fails only, only on new "projects").

I would, at this point, keep track of the "studio" to see if there is a correlation. At this point I think I am going to switch to "Clone" DVD; I hear it is faster and more reliable than Recode - input?

I may even start "ripping" to an image using DVDFab (as opposed to ripping with Fab and recoding to an image using Nero); DVDFab does a fantastic job ripping, but the image "burns" are glitchy - even after verified by Imageburn.

Hmmmm...

Edited by Allen Cain

I also received this error but under different circumstances. I created DVD-DL files from an MKV with AC3 audio (7.01 GB / 7,358,522 KB) using TFM (The FilmMachine). Everything comes out OK and the result is a VIDEO_TS folder (8.59 GB / 9,229,989,888 bytes) containing the following:

64168381.jpg

I load the files into (AWESOME!) ImgBurn and hit the calculator button resulting in this:

69980918.jpg

I hit "Yes" and I get the final message:

91637564.jpg

Which I have been reading about how to fix this but I think I have a size problem to fix first. Finally this is what the ImgBurn calculation shows:

86247957.jpg

So, assuming ImgBurn is calculating this properly, I guess I have to go back to the creation of my DVD-DL files to straighten this out. Any input?

Although it likely will not help with this situation, I have read that DVD-R blanks are MARGINALLY larger and that images created for them will not always fit on a DVD+R blank. I post in the hope that this might help someone, sometime.

GG

================

On certain "projects" I get an error from Imageburn indicating: "There doesn't appear to be enough space on this disc to burn the image".

I am totally confused for several reasons, and will note that:

A) The image file size is less than 4.7GB (as displayed by "properties")

B) My burns work 99.9 percent the rest of the time - perfectly (with verifications from Imageburn)

C) This error seems to occur with newer "projects"; this seems to be a recent development - but I have only just begun to use "images" (to save space)

D) When I do not use Nero Recode, and use DVDFab to create the image (to DVD-5) it works perfectly.

Is this some sort of wierd "copy-guard" issue? It is not a big deal, I prefer to use Nero Recode [high quality mode] but DVDFab seems to do the job.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance; Allen, San Francisco Bay Area - California / USA

(I have submitted this string to DVDFab, Imageburn and Nero.)

(In case this matters to someone: Lite-on burner; Taiyo Yuden media; Windows XP)

looking at what youve posted, its purely a case of your coverting/authoring program not making the project within -R size specs.

If you dont have the option to set the project output size in those programs, try something else instead, like convertXtodvd or similar, then burn it with ImgBurn, or TMPGenc dvdauthor and ImgBurn

Likewise, if you use RW discs, the total allowable size is smaller than 4.37 as well

I use DVD-Rs; I think Lightning got it right - Nero (NRG) files add a HEADER/FOOTER that is making the file too big to burn.

I still do not understand why my projects work 99 percent of the the time, but I am moving on from Nero anyway.

Thank you for the response - Allen

No, I didn't say the header/footer made it too big, I said that's why the file size according to Explorer is different to what ImgBurn says.

The over-sized image is due to an issue in Recode where it doesn't quite compress enough to meet the target size.

So if you make the target size a bit smaller, even when it's over-sized it'll still fit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.