ECC Boundary Question

ron spencer

Hey LUK!!! Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does imgtool ensure that that the Layer Break point is set to an ECC Block boundary and therefore adjust the start sectors of all the files accordingly when used on its own? With PGCEdit as a front end it will, but how about ImgBurn on its own when user had the proggy figure out the layer break?

LBs must be at a cell boundary. If the disk is authored with correct padding, then the cell boundary will also co-incide with a 32k block.

This is not a function of IB, which, AFAIK, burns images, and does not create them.

So, continue to use PgcEdit to create your image and IB to burn it.

Regards

No, it can't / won't change the filesystem of the image so that the layer break can be positioned in a nice place.

What it will do is read the IFO files and try to find as many potential positions for the layerbreak - before then displaying them in a box where you can choose the one you want to use.

To see what the program finds within an image without actually burning it, right click on the 'sectors' text within the 'Source' box when you've selected a double layer image. You should get a context menu come up and the rest is pretty obvious ;)

So ImgBurn will pad where appropriate then? or will it ensure that all files are written at the correct offsets and there is no padding between them.

the reason I am asling this is because the use of ImgBurn and PGCEdit has come up at the DVDLab forum:

http://www.mmbforums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12227

sorry I am admitting here that this is a cross post at Doom9 as I am not sure if you will post this concern I originated to rOLZ.

Doom9 link is:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=720112#post720112

Edited by ron spencer

No, padding is in the filesystem - and as mentioned above, I don't touch that.

The image must be created properly in the first place.

If you don't burn from an MDS, ImgBurn will scan the IFO files to find potential places for a layer break.

By that I mean it'll look in the IFO files for cells that start on an ECC boundary and are within the acceptable LBA range.

thanks LUK!!!!

If you go back to the original DVDLab forum post by jberry who posted this issue in the Gear forums, you will see a response from Tom Vaughan (at the Gear forum), the guy who writes Gear.

He says:

"jberry,

You are looking at 2 different descriptions for doing the same thing. In both cases, the VOB is moved by the appropriate number of sectors in order to align the chosen layer break point with the start of a new ECC Block.

You have to use GEAR's method when you use GEAR."

so I guess both methods are correct.

This may come up again as burning dual layer can be tricky...maybe you should sticky this or something...save yourself a hassle later

Edited by ron spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.