ERROR "invalid or unsupported image file format

noeinstein

WinXP-SP3, 1.5GB mem., Celeron, plenty 'o space, TSST Corp. (Samsung) SH-S202N DVD RW drive, Memorex DVD-R single layer disk.

I'm having a similar issue as momof4 is having. I tried to drag and drop the file into the Imgburn drop zone but then i get an error "invalid or unsupported image file format". The difference is that I downloaded Win7 RC from a file-hosting site, and, of course, the ISO's came in parts(001,002,003,etc.). Now I realize that the ISO extention is associated with IzArc. Also, the files end in .iso.001, .iso.002, etc.

Since I'm burning to a Recordable DVD(I don't have any RW's & I only have 3 left/no $), should i rename the files one at a time, removing the numerical extentions? Should I dis-associate IzArc? Please help? :unsure: And thank you in advance!

ImgBurn.log

Edited by noeinstein

Using WinRAR, find and select the .001 file then go to Tools -> Show Information. What does it say there? If it says RAR volume then use WinRAR to extract the ISO image from the archive.

I've not installed WinRAR yet, but when I look at the properties of any of those numerical files, they say 001 file, 002 file,etc., respectively. Do you suggest I install winRar? Im wonderin if my file types sre messed up?

Edited by noeinstein

Using WinRAR, find and select the .001 file then go to Tools -> Show Information. What does it say there? If it says RAR volume then use WinRAR to extract the ISO image from the archive.

I used WinRar,opened Tools>Show Info, and the ratio is 100%, & also it says ISO 13346 UDF Archive. It does not say RAR volume. I've viewed the files using WinRAR from the numbered archive files and found that they do indeed exist. Since the ratio is 100%, should I be able to burn the files as they are without unpacking to use them as a bootable disk? Gateway E4000 - XPSP3 - IE8 - Samsung TSSTCorp SH-S202N DVD RW Drive - Memorex DVD-R disk.

Well, then it's the original ISO image split in an unconventional way. You'll have to join the files with copy /b 001+002+003+etc win7.iso or maybe Create DVD MDS File (look in ImgBurn's Tools menu) and add the numbered files in the correct order :)

Well, then it's the original ISO image split in an unconventional way. You'll have to join the files with copy /b 001+002+003+etc win7.iso or maybe Create DVD MDS File (look in ImgBurn's Tools menu) and add the numbered files in the correct order :)

copy/ b? If that's a command/command line switch, I don't know exactly how to do that...but I did try browsing for my files using ImgBurn>Tools>Create DVD MDS File...& the program doesn't recognize them as existing files: ex: I browse to the folder where the files are and it appears to be empty according to ImgBurn. I do know that ImgBurn is associated with the ISO file type. Any other suggestions, or will you explain how to join the files into a single .iso? Your help has been extremely appreciated, esp. since it's so late.! Thank you!

7-zip should handle split files automatically... and take care of any compression too - even if it's not actually compressed but just packaged in a different container format.

You'd have saved yourself all this trouble if you'd just download direct from Microsoft, would you not?!

You can use the create dvd / mds file features too if you so wish, just drag + drop the files from an explorer window or change the 'file type' to 'All Files' so they show up in the standard 'open file' dialog box.

it sounds like you have the original ISO file from somewhere, that has been split up by someone using a hard drive thats formatted as FAT32 :rolleyes: .

FAT32 limitations are that its unable to handle files larger than 4GB in size.

Winrar would have opened/extracted these files ( as mmalves said) by opening winrar from the start>programs menu and selecting the lowest numbered file to open/extract , ie: file .iso.000 or .iso.001, the resulting output would have been a file called 'something'.ISO . ( something being win7 or windows or similar).

It sounds like you have .ISO associated with IzArc software, when you install winrar it will try and take over the association from IzArc . I would disassociate ISO from IzArc and in winrar, make sure the ISO box is unchecked in

OPTIONS > SETTINGS > INTEGRATION

then of coarse re-associate ISO files with ImgBurn

7-zip should handle split files automatically... and take care of any compression too - even if it's not actually compressed but just packaged in a different container format.

You'd have saved yourself all this trouble if you'd just download direct from Microsoft, would you not?!

You can use the create dvd / mds file features too if you so wish, just drag + drop the files from an explorer window or change the 'file type' to 'All Files' so they show up in the standard 'open file' dialog box.

Yes sir, I would've saved myself all that trouble--you're definately right. However, i'm glad it happened this way, giving me an understanding of how to handle iso files and such. I appreciate your help. I will try 7-zip soon. Thanks a lot!

it sounds like you have the original ISO file from somewhere, that has been split up by someone using a hard drive thats formatted as FAT32 :rolleyes: .

FAT32 limitations are that its unable to handle files larger than 4GB in size.

Winrar would have opened/extracted these files ( as mmalves said) by opening winrar from the start>programs menu and selecting the lowest numbered file to open/extract , ie: file .iso.000 or .iso.001, the resulting output would have been a file called 'something'.ISO . ( something being win7 or windows or similar).

It sounds like you have .ISO associated with IzArc software, when you install winrar it will try and take over the association from IzArc . I would disassociate ISO from IzArc and in winrar, make sure the ISO box is unchecked in

OPTIONS > SETTINGS > INTEGRATION

then of coarse re-associate ISO files with ImgBurn

I remember that about FAT32. I understand your explanation of the iso situation. Now I realize that I didn't extract the files before burning them to dvd!! And it's probably why when I try to boot the new drive from that dvd, that I get a "cannot find NTLDR" error>restart. That's what I get for trying to troubleshoot issues when I'm tired! But thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

it's the original ISO image split in an unconventional way. You'll have to join the files....and add the numbered files in the correct order :)

Yes, it all makes sense now. Mmalves, your help has been greatly appreaciated. I believe this particular issue is resolved(fingers crossed). Thanks again! All you guys Rock. I couldn't hardly beleive it--everyone jumps in to help--even the creator!! I will definately be donating to the program. Thank you LIGHTNING UK for making this a free program! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.