LG GH22NS40 22X SATA DVD

Big Big Nose

Purchased a LG GH22NS40 drive and was just wondering if anyody had any views about this item. I've been having problems with this item which can be viewed here . I know is has a Renesas chip and was just basically wondering if thats good or bad or generally if the drive is good or crap? It's going back anyway as i think its faulty however if its crap i'll get a refund. >_<

Thanks All. =)

Edited by Big Big Nose

well i just read the link in the thread you posted above, and its not clear if you have tried any other media apart from the Maxell ones.

This should have been your first move really, as media is the culprit 99% of the time.The fact your maxell discs use ritek dye isnt a good sign to start with

I find LG to be a decent average type of drive ( had 3 of them so far) and they all work fine still. One of them dates back about 4 years now and is highly reliable.

Have a look here to see how the results for Maxell with F16 dye are ......... there not brilliant tbh. Just because they worked with a previous drive is no guarantee they will work on another drive

Maxell F16 media review

It is a process of elimination, media/firmware/player , youve already got the latest firmware so the next cheapest easiest one to do is media.

As suggested in that other thread in post #2 by mmalves , try better quality discs. Thats not to say your burner isnt faulty, though trying other media could eliminate the drive is at fault

well i just read the link in the thread you posted above, and its not clear if you have tried any other media apart from the Maxell ones.

This should have been your first move really, as media is the culprit 99% of the time.The fact your maxell discs use ritek dye isnt a good sign to start with

I find LG to be a decent average type of drive ( had 3 of them so far) and they all work fine still. One of them dates back about 4 years now and is highly reliable.

Have a look here to see how the results for Maxell with F16 dye are ......... there not brilliant tbh. Just because they worked with a previous drive is no guarantee they will work on another drive

Maxell F16 media review

It is a process of elimination, media/firmware/player , youve already got the latest firmware so the next cheapest easiest one to do is media.

As suggested in that other thread in post #2 by mmalves , try better quality discs. Thats not to say your burner isnt faulty, though trying other media could eliminate the drive is at fault

I would just lile to thankyou for replying to my post so prompting.

Yes, I know i have crappy media and i totally agree to the fact that using different media would have been the next step to go but I had not coastered one disc up until the point of trying them out on the new drive and i hadn't coastered a single one on the older drives in which i own. And I also have to agree with your statment that 995 of the media is the problem but in the case i don't think it was the case.

Today i recieved my new drive from ebuyer all nicely packaged as you expect it to be. I then went ahead and installed the drive into my personal machine, i again tried the same iso and same maxwell media in which i had used previously and the disc image wrote first time without fail. The drive therefore seems to have been at fault all along. I'm happy now the problem is resolved somewhat with the drive giving off positive read and write speeds. However, i am still ticked off with ebuyer and hopefully they can replace the coastered dvd's in which were created and amyve something else for the four previously returned item but that's another story.

Being a student, I am not able to afford the best and most expensive media which verbs to me do come across as being. When i purchase media, i always go for the least expensive and the most economic and this is mainly due to the fact of me being a student. Also, the availibility of verbs is not the most readily available in my area and due to the fact of me living in the uk. Even though they are not impossible to get hold of it is still just not worth the hassle in my opinion and ussualy when i buy media its becuase i've cleaned out and again i can't afford to stock up. As long as the image writes to the blank media then i have no reason to change my media, not unless i have a whole phase of coasters in which that case yes verbs would be my next move, however, i hope that doesn't happen.

To push on however, i have now finished with the maxwell media and have moved onto immitation media as this is what came discount with my drive. They also have been fine with my drive but only time will tell if they're up to the job.

Thankyou once again

Matt

P.S what volvo do you own? =P

yes, to read the link you will need to register, its only a normal forum where you dont have to give to much personal info.

Glad your sorted with the drive . i did say Thats not to say your burner isnt faulty though.

My perosnal opinion with media is "you get what you pay for" , although i concede that not everyone can afford to buy the higher end of the quality scale. I do say its a case of find a brand that works on your personal set up, ie burner/firmware /standalone player.

Fortunately on the 2 occasions i have purchased from ebuyer, everything worked with no problems.

As for Verbs in the UK , they are readily available online , and probably cheaper than buying in a store.check out svp.co.uk online/mail order, Most of the european beta team have used them and had good service from them. The dual layer mkm-001's are getting harder to get hold of though.

As for what volvo i own now , i dont anymore . it used to be a truck though, an FL10

Editted to apologise for spelling, not to correct any mistakes though :rolleyes:

yes, to read the link you will need to register, its only a normal forum where you dont have to give to much personal info.

Glad your sorted with the drive . i did say Thats not to say your burner isnt faulty though.

My perosnal opinion with media is "you get what you pay for" , although i concede that not everyone can afford to buy the higher end of the quality scale. I do say its a case of find a brand that works on your personal set up, ie burner/firmware /standalone player.

Fortunately on the 2 occasions i have purchased from ebuyer, everything worked with no problems.

As for Verbs in the UK , they are readily available online , and probably cheaper than buying in a store.check out svp.co.uk online/mail order, Most of the european beta team have used them and had good service from them. The dual layer mkm-001's are getting harder to get hold of though.

As for what volvo i own now , i dont anymore . it used to be a truck though, an FL10

Editted to apologise for spelling, not to correct any mistakes though :rolleyes:

Yes thankfull still not happy about it though, wasted so uch time so hopefully something additional will be supplied for everything. Yhe, hopefully i'll be able to fid my ideal media. Thanks for the info however much appreciated.

So your into the trucking industry? Yeh its just that my parents own a S80 atm and we used to have a Volvo 850 GLT which and still is in my opinion so beautifull.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.