Frequent hang on "Locking drive for exclusive access"

Darkfalz

Topic says it all. I'll admit right now that I'm using DVD Decrypter, but I would assume it's the same write engine.

This never used to happen, except when I had Windows Media Player open (which would obviously hijack my CD drives).

Now it's happening at least half the time I go to burn something. Nothing else is using the drive.

Worst thing is that when I try to cancel, DVD Decrypter doesn't respond (it totally hangs). Then I can force crash it, but it only closes the window, it actually stays in memory. So reboot is required.

I've now disabled locking, but I don't think I should have had to. Maybe this is/was a known issue and is addressed in ImgBurn?

There is no issue with ImgBurn/DVD Decrypter, it's a windows api call and it takes as long as it takes I'm afraid!

There is no way to abort the command once it has been issued. Either the OS replies or it doesn't - in your case, doesn't - in which case it hangs forever.

Are you sure nothing else is using the drive? Have you followed the info in the FAQ about this type of problem?

Nothing else using the drive. I know with Windows, you can never know what stupid things it's doing behind the scenes, but I even have Autorun disabled. It didn't used to happen and even when it did, I could just close WMP and it would work again.

So you did use process explorer to confirm this?

Maybe the command got muddled up.

Do have any odd filter drivers installed that could be stopping the command from reaching its final destination?

Maybe one isn't behaving itself properly.

Okay I found something called PxHelp20 and another thing called Pfc, both seem to have something to do with burn engines or somethimg.

Apparantly the first may have come from Winamp 5 even though I don't remember trying it out.

I'll do more Googling on the matter!

Edit: I've removed PxHelp20. Pfc seems to have come from Alcohol 120%. Not sure what installed PxHelp20. I'll see if it helps.

Edited by Darkfalz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.