Need Help

vvdusen

Hi all! I have been having problems burning dvds. At first when I tried to burn my buffer kept fluctuating if I did anything while burning even just surfing the web. Thinking it might be DMA I tried to uninstall my IDE controller. Now when I burn the buffer stays full but it locks up and the dvd has burn marks on it. I tried two burners, changed IDE cable, upgraded firmware and no luck. Suggestions?

attachicon.gifBurning slowdown vvdusen, Please read the attached links thread, this sounds like your problem. Its actually a windows caching problem. This will be corrected in the next version of Imgburn, soon to be released. For present just make sure you have DMA set for all devices. :thumbup:

try burning at slower speeds .You can set the speed in IMGburn to whatever your drive and media will support .You're not going to get the best burns at 16X the scans and graphs seem to back that up try 12x or just vary the speed untill you get a good burn .Ps what media are you using Verbatim and Taiyo Yudens are the way to go,also what burner are you using

Now if I try to burn anything at 16x both Nero and Imageburn just freeze up. I have no idea what else to do.

I?m curious. Do you have your burner and HD sharing an IDE channel? Burning 16x for DVDs is something like 22 MB/sec. If your burner and HD (source and destination) share an IDE channel it means that 22 MB of data a second has to travel from the source drive down the ribbon cable to the cpu and then back up the same cable to your destination which can cause all sorts of problems. Sort of like forcing water through a hose in two different directions at once. As suggested above, slow down your burn speed to 4x and see what happens. As for Nero, nobody really uses it around here because it isn?t needed and it?s just something else to go wrong.

<Buffer underrun mode off>

I'm using Verbatim MCC 03 media. Weird thing is I had the problem with a new system build and a NEC 3550A. I tried switching to my old Toshiba SD-3572 and still the same thing. Also I noticed with the toshiba there were visible rings in the discs after burning. After a new install same thing. Then I switched back to the Nec and it burned perfectly. Thinking one of the issues was my Nvidia IDE drivers and I'm not to confident my toshiba burns the verbatims well. But what causes rings on the dvds?

If I remember right the rings were indicators of where the burn speeds changed, they jump in a series of progressions and the switch from 4x to 8x or x to x can produce the ring .This was covered a couple of years ago on the LUK's other forum if my memory serves me right

Polopony's memory is right on - the rings, actually different colored concentric parts of the disk, is where the writer changes does a step speed change, eventually ramping up in 2X steps to whatever burn speed you selected in the ImgBurn options.

Early on in the great speed race, when 8X blank media first appeared, I found that the change between 4X and 8X on the burned disk would frequently freeze a movie playback on various of my stand-alone players. I'm sure media has improved since that time, and it's probably not still a problem.

However I still continue to only Burn DVDs, either SL or DL, only at 4X - I figure it's one less chance for a playback glitch....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.