ISO PROBLEM

the olde

Hi there

I am trying to get away from commercial software and use IMgBurn for the burning of the ISO.

Its a bit of a weird one, used CloneDVD2 to compress and make the ISO, however the ISO file is marked as

4760592 KB, but if you click on it or place the cursor over it it shows 4.54 GB.

The point being when I try to burn IMgBurn displays a message the file is too big for the disc.

Whats going on?

Nope, it's max 4,37 GB.

You should configure the program to set output file to max 4,35 GB or 4464 MB, that works best to burn your ISO to dvd.

That it shows 4,7 GB on the package means nothing, just like when you buy a new hard disc. Windows always 'wastes' a bit of the full capacity.

Edited by killjoy

a dvd+r can only get up to 4.47gb i think.

That is the problem, it tells you the file is to big.

thought it was 4.7gb? :'(

No, the problem is the misconception caused by the difference of whether you consider 1 GB to be be 1073741824 bytes (1024 x 1024 x 1024) as is used for RAM, or if it is 1000000000 bytes (1000 x 1000 x 1000) as is used for hard drives and other storage media such as DVDs.

The 4.7 GB that you are referring to is actually 4700 MB or 4700000 KB or 4700000000 bytes in storage media terms.

However windows treats all space (RAM or physical media) from the 1024 bytes per KB perspective, so when you float your mouse over a file that is truly 4700000000 bytes, you'll see that windows reports just less than 4.38 GB (4700000000 divided by 1024 three times).

So, you are truly oversized for the DVD media. Since the default for CloneDVD2 always worked for me, I assume you changed it to a custom figure? You'll have to go back to the default and clone again...

Edited by fordman

The 4.7GB displayed is in Bytes, 4,700,000,000 when you truly convert that back to GB it works out to 4.377.

It is not advisable to produce a file any larger than 4.35GB max, getting to close to the edge of the disk often ends in disaster.

Many thanks, will try to use shrink instead

As killjoy and I noted, it has nothing to do with your use of CloneDVD2. It has to do with the target value for the shrunken disc. I do recall that some movies (when I was still compressing them - use DL discs now) with DVD shrink would not get under 4.37 GB on the first try, and you had to shrink the output a second time. If you didn't change the default target size in CloneDVD2, perhaps that is what is happening to you.

Many thanks, will try to use shrink instead

As killjoy and I noted, it has nothing to do with your use of CloneDVD2. It has to do with the target value for the shrunken disc. I do recall that some movies (when I was still compressing them - use DL discs now) with DVD shrink would not get under 4.37 GB on the first try, and you had to shrink the output a second time. If you didn't change the default target size in CloneDVD2, perhaps that is what is happening to you.

I am not convinced there is something else going on with this movie file im trying to back up, its fairly new and just tried shrink with it, get an error straight away, but CloneDVD2 works fine?!! weird

convinced or not you cant get the size file you have 4.54 Gigs on to a 4.7 without compression and like its been said its really a 4.377 gig dvd5 single layer dvd . It would helo if when you quote a program giving you an error you poated a log or screenshot of the error

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.