Hangs at Writing LeadIn...

Shinji Elric

I just upgraded my computer to Windows Vista Home Premium. Both my hard drives is getting full of Music, Videos, Games you name it. Well I'm trying to burn em all to DVDs and DVD-DL. Nero always says Operation failed and ImgBurrn hangs at the lead in part. It doesent lock yp my system just stays there and the timer on the program still goes. I just updated my firmware on my burner from KY04 ot KY06. I'm using a Sony DVD RW DRU-800A. It burned fine before in the past but now its being stubborn. Any ideas?

Heres the log

I have the program running under compatibility mode Windows XP SP2.

I 17:02:23 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 17:02:23 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 17:02:23 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,064 KB - Available: 1,505,716 KB

I 17:02:23 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:02:23 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:02:23 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Edited by Shinji Elric

Hi and welcome to the forum, Shinji Elric! :)

Does it work with single layer media?

I 17:04:12 Destination Device: [3:1:0] SONY DVD RW DRU-800A KY06 (F:) (Fibre)

Fibre sounds odd. Checked in the BIOS if there is something like IDE to set it to.

Yes it also hangs on SL disks. Heres the log for it.

I 18:02:55 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 18:02:55 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 18:02:55 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,064 KB - Available: 1,403,856 KB

I 18:02:55 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:02:55 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:02:56 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Sounds as it's time to send the burner to a final journey and get a new one. This model was released 2005 and they do fall a part after some time - at least mine ones have a bad habit of doing that.

If it was the HP DVD 1140i you was looking at - that one is a rebadged Lite-On iHAP422.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/crossflash-hp-1140i-278047/

The ones I could find at Walmart in this list

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Computers/Ac...atNavId=1021822

None of those DVD burners is in my taste.

I would go for a Pioneer 116/216 or 117/217 or an Optiarc either the 720* serie or the latest serie 724* (not sure if the later one is with IDE connectors - might only be for SATA). The Optiarc 722* serie is rebadged Lite-Ons and I don't like Lite-Ons.

But that's my opinion - I'm sure there are others with other experiences about what a good burner model should be.

I too have the same problem as OP. Whenever I try to burn an ISO to disc, the program hangs at "Writing LeadIn." Afterward, I call for an abort, but the program still hangs. Finally, I end up closing ImgBurn through Task Manager and while the program brute closes, the DVD drive's light (drive looks like it's reading data) is forever on until I reset my computer.

The funny thing is though -after I reboot I'm able to burn the ISO into a disc.

I can't figure out what is wrong. I hate to think that I have to do the above procedure just to burn an ISO into a disc.

Oh yah, it was also the same way when I burned ISO to disc when I was on XP. Now it's the same deal on Windows 7.

And now that you've hijacked his thread, would you mind telling us how your burner is connected? Latest driver for the controller? The OP's problem was an inappropriate adapter that was tampering with the communication.

And now that you've hijacked his thread, would you mind telling us how your burner is connected? Latest driver for the controller? The OP's problem was an inappropriate adapter that was tampering with the communication.

I have a SATA connected drive. The controller would be on the motherboard, I assume? If so, no, I don't have those drivers up to date -Gigabyte has not, to this day, upgraded them to 64bit.

My burner's firmware is up to date, however.

Log if it helps any:

(I don't have the log of when it was hanging @ "I 13:35:24 Writing LeadIn...", but I'm pretty sure it's all the same with the success log minus the parts after Writing LeadIn.)

I 13:35:08 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 13:35:08 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7100)

I 13:35:08 Total Physical Memory: 4,192,760 KB - Available: 3,059,096 KB

I 13:35:08 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:35:08 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:35:09 Found 1 DVD

Edited by Dagmar

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.