What means that warning (v. 2.5.0.0)

gogol

Hello

Since I have installed the version 2.5.0.0, I get the following log, when I start the program:

I 19:09:27 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 19:09:27 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 19:09:27 Total Physical Memory: 3.406.248 KB - Available: 2.696.200 KB

W 19:09:27 SPTD can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.

I 19:09:27 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:09:27 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:09:27 Found 1 DVD

Hi and welcome to the forum, gogol! :)

From the Settings guide:

It also checks if the driver sptd.sys from Duplex Secure Ltd is present in the system. This driver is used by Deamon Tools and Alcohol 120%. This driver can slow down I/O and basically limit the top speed of your drive when reading/verifying (for some drives on some machines).

For people that just want a basic virtual drive, Virtual CloneDrive is a better alternative. Even if you have uninstalled Daemon Tools and/or Alcohol 120% the driver might still be present in your system and in such case you need to uninstall it through the 'SPTD setup file'.

If you don't face any odd slow reading speeds - it shouldn't case you any problems to have that driver (SPTD) installed.

No. I also have Patin-Couffin installed and I don't get that message, so you most certainly still have that driver on your system even if you have uninstalled a program such as Daemon Tools. The uninstaller doesn't remove the driver, you need to run the SPTD setup file' installer and in one of the windows check mark that you want to remove the driver.

http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads

@Cynthia

Actually there aren't any problems with the speed of my drive, but I think I will test virtual clone drive.

Thanks for the tip.

This is an example from my own issue with the SPTD.sys driver on my Vista system - for my My Pioneer 115 (PATA), that had problems to get the read speed working as it should (The Pioneer 216 (SATA) in the same system had no such issues). Same disc used in both examples.

The main thing with having the warning row in the log, is to easier help members that are posting logs about slow reading speeds and gives us/you a hint that it could be this driver that is causing the issue and to actually see if the driver is present in the system or not.

With the driver installed:

post-20-1248809418_thumb.png

With the driver uninstalled:

post-20-1248809423_thumb.png

Hello Cynthia

basically it's a real good idea, to give that kind of information in a log file. But on the other side a warning should be a hint for an acute 'dangerous' system-status (which could potentially cause a damage). When I recognize a warning, it is the urgent call for me to act and to solve the problem (in order to avoid futher problems).

But in this case there isn't a real problem at all (except the possibility, that the SPTD-driver can slow down I/O of my drive).

Therefore I think it would be better, to use another icon for this kind of information - maybe a blue orb with a white 'i' within, to show, that the log-entry is for informational purpose (nevertheless the log-entry could help to solve problems, but it wouldn't be so irritating at all).

Greetings an thanks for your efforts

Gogol

The same discussion about the 'Warning' status has been for this little fellow - but at the end of the day it's still the author who writes the code - so it's up to him.

W 19:13:06 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

:)

Your'e right Cynthia

Moreover I have deinstalled the Daemon-Tools, so that the problem doesn't exist any longer.

I think this thread could be closed - there's nothing else to say isn't it?.

Thanks again and have a nice day

Gogol

There is an old sticky in the Deamon Tools Forum on how to solve uninstall issues with the SPTD driver - but the link is stone dead.

http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f26/how-remov...-tools-v4-6992/

Post a thread over at their forum, as it's their program you are having issues to uninstall, they should know better how to fix your issue.

According to Daemon T sptd is installed for ver 4.0 and above. I'm running 3.47 and also got the sptd warning.

I noticed in the changelog for 2.5 that ---"Changed: The SPTI device enumeration method now defaults to 'Device Interface' on XP SP2/2003 SP2 + IMAPI v2.0, XP SP3, Vista and newer.

I previously selected/defaulted to "Device Class" (running XP sp3) Which one should I set it to and will it affect the sptd warning ?

If you have SP3 - then you have the IMAPI 2.0 update in the SP3 update - so 'Device Interface' is the default one. It handles the locking of drives better than the other options - you can see what program that is that is locking your drive if ImgBurn can't lock it.

The only way to disable the 'SPTD' warning (except uninstalling the driver) is to disable the setting 'Interfering Programs' in the tab 'General' in the settings.

SPTD has been with Daemon Tools for ages - so it's there in ver 3.x also if I recall it right.

SPTI and SPTD is not the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally.

This was why I've been having those reading/verifying problems for as long as I can remember!

After I uninstalled Daemon Tools AND the driver I finally get perfect graphs!

Thanks LIGHTNING UK! for the warning in ImgBurn!!!!!

Edited by John_Anderson

The only thing that worries me with v3.47 is that it's pretty old now and I'm not sure if it's safe to use/stable on the newer OS's.

There must have been a reason for them changing to the Duplex Secure thing in the first place - although I expect that was to do with DT being able to hide itself.

Of course 3.47 can't emulate newer types or drives but it's certainly a better / more complete virtual drive when compared to Virtual CloneDrive (which just rejects lots of I/O commands).

I'm sorry, what I meant was multitrack images with multiple files, here's a example:

FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 01).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 02).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 00 00:00:00
INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 03).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 04).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 05).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 06).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 07).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 08).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 09).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 09 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 10).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 10 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 11).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 11 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 12).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 12 AUDIO
FILE "Descent II (USA) (v1.0) (Track 13).bin" BINARY
 TRACK 13 AUDIO

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.