Compatibility with Apple SuperDrive

Whopper Jr

Requesting a booktype that supports MacBook Pro SuperDrive. I am using BootCamp to run Windows Xp Express SP3 and I need to booktype DVD+Rs to DVD-R, but it doesn't appear to support my SuperDrive. I've burnt unsuccessful backups of games that I own, and apparently the issue is that my DVD+Rs are not properly booktyped. If there is an alternative solution that won't cost me a grip then please answer and disregard suggestion. Thanks.

The booktype function has to be implemented in the firmware by the drive's manufacturer and/or the OEM (in this case Apple). ImgBurn supports the booktype commands from all major manufacturers, but your burner (more specifically its firmware) has to support it too.

Please post a log from one of those unsuccessful burns and maybe we can find something that can be done :thumbup:

I just bought a 5 pack of 8x Verbatim DVR-Rs to go with MacBook Pro SuperDrive which is 8x. I want to make backups of one of my Wii games. I burned at both 4x and 2x, but when it reached 100%, the disc ejected and it told me to do something manually and that sometimes it ejects on slim burners or something. The attachment is an error log.

I don't know if you even have a Wii, but when I load the game through the disc channel, it shows the game, and when I press start it goes until the Online ESRB Ratings screen and then goes black and nothing happens. I think it might be the laptop. I'm just really confused.

ImgBurn.log

Edited by Whopper Jr

You should let the Verify process finish, as that what ensures the disc was correctly burned. You can also use the Verify mode of ImgBurn to check the disc against the source image. If it goes OK (no errors/miscompares) then it's a good burn and it's your Wii that's unable to read the disc.

If this is the case then you could get better help from a Wii forum :unsure:

You should let the Verify process finish, as that what ensures the disc was correctly burned. You can also use the Verify mode of ImgBurn to check the disc against the source image. If it goes OK (no errors/miscompares) then it's a good burn and it's your Wii that's unable to read the disc.

So once the disc pops out and gives the popup message, I should pop it back in and press O.K. and it will automatically do a verify? The game is 4.3GB and the discs are 4.7GB, and it looked to me like it was starting to burn the ISO again to the remaining space. I'll burn another...I don't think it's a Wii issue, other people have used the same method with positive results, I think it's a Mac issue. I'll try again and let it continue to verify or whatever.

Ok I verified it with positive results, I think it's the burner, HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N SB00 (ATA) that for some reason makes unreadable copies for the Wii. Still, when I finally did some research and figured out it was an LG-Hitachi model, I still can't booktype DVD+R to DVD-R, it says after Current Setting: Unknown (FAILED!)

Reason: Invalid Command Operation Code

Perhaps the IMGBurn version 2.5 does not support this driver currently? The MacBook Pro is like 2 weeks old.

In the meantime I'll try to get ahold of some friends who have different externals to use.

The drive doesn't support the booktype commands then (the manufacturer has to implement this in the firmware). Check with Apple for newer firmware for your burner, and if they don't have it, then you should ask them to add this feature.

I recall seeing this same problem with all slim LG burners ever since GSA-T20N, maybe even before :unsure:

The drive doesn't support the booktype commands then (the manufacturer has to implement this in the firmware). Check with Apple for newer firmware for your burner, and if they don't have it, then you should ask them to add this feature.

I recall seeing this same problem with all slim LG burners ever since GSA-T20N, maybe even before :unsure:

Ok, will do. Thanks for your replies.

I don't know if you have a section for games, but I found a pretty useful site to verify whether or not your drive/DVD combination works with the Wii (and it appears mine doesn't!). This may help with other noobs who have little to no idea what they're doing (lol).

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/Wii_DVD_compatibility_list

So as usual this is a Mac problem, not a Wii or IMGBurn problem, so I'm going to try and get my hands on a working model.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.