New drive: Verify Failed! Reason: Layouts do not match.

HorseyBoy

Hi guys,

Just got a new external usb drive (an LG BE06LU10, running the latest firmware) and I'm getting this error after every burn: Verify Failed! Reason: Layouts do not match.

It's happened on one BD-RE (a TDK disc that came with the drive) and two Verbatim DVD-Rs. The weird thing is, the discs burn perfectly - no issues with playback anywhere.

I'm using Build mode, writing straight to the device, not an image file, and the latest log is attached below. I'm also running in a virtual machine (VMWare) on OS X.

I switched back to my internal drive and burned the same DVDs without any issues.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I searched the forums and it doesn't seem to be a common error.

I 17:47:43 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 17:47:43 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 17:47:43 Total Physical Memory: 523,760 KB - Available: 337,996 KB

I 17:47:43 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:47:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:47:43 Found 1 DVD

I 18:07:40 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20)

With that disc in the drive and ImgBurn in Write/Build mode, please copy and paste here the text shown in the Information box (look in the Device tab if in Build mode). Then switch to Read mode and again copy and paste here the text shown in the Information box.

With that disc in the drive and ImgBurn in Write/Build mode, please copy and paste here the text shown in the Information box (look in the Device tab if in Build mode). Then switch to Read mode and again copy and paste here the text shown in the Information box.

Hi mmalves,

Here goes:

Build mode:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BE06LU10 YE05 (USB)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,297,888
Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes
Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,495,103
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Read mode:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BE06LU10 YE05 (USB)

Disc Information:
Free Sectors: 2,297,888
Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes
Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,495,103

Edited by HorseyBoy

That's strange: the drive isn't returning the write descriptors asked by ImgBurn (notice it doesn't show the Supported Write Speeds). I would guess that this could be a bug with VMWare's USB driver, and this limitation could also contribute to the Layouts do not match problem.

Are you using the latest version of VMWare?

That's strange: the drive isn't returning the write descriptors asked by ImgBurn (notice it doesn't show the Supported Write Speeds). I would guess that this could be a bug with VMWare's USB driver, and this limitation could also contribute to the Layouts do not match problem.

Are you using the latest version of VMWare?

Hi mmalves. Speedy reply!

Yes, I'm using the latest version of VMWare, and you're probably right about it being a problem with the USB drivers.

Here's the info I get in Build/Write mode with the same media in my internal drive:

MATSHITA DVD-R   UJ-846 FB2U (ATA)

Disc Information:
Free Sectors: 2,298,496
Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Performance (Write Speed):
Descriptor 1...
-> B0: 0x01, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> EL: 2297888 (0x00231020)
-> RS: 1,385 KB/s (1x) - WS: 1,385 KB/s (1x)
Descriptor 2...
-> RS: 2,770 KB/s (2x) - WS: 2,770 KB/s (2x)
Descriptor 3...
-> RS: 5,540 KB/s (4x) - WS: 5,540 KB/s (4x)
Descriptor 4...
-> RS: 11,080 KB/s (8x) - WS: 11,080 KB/s (8x)

I've looked all around their support and couldn't find something that looks helpful to your case.

If you can, open a support request with VMWare and explain to them what's happening. Maybe they have a solution for this communication problem :thumbup:

I've looked all around their support and couldn't find something that looks helpful to your case.

Thanks, mmalves:-) I've been looking too. I couldn't find anything either.

I've also tried other WinXP apps (Burrrn and EAC) to see if I could them to report the disc write speed: no dice.

On the OS X side, Toast has no problem with the drive at all. It recognises the drive and the media (including supported speeds) just fine.

So it probably is a problem with the USB driver. What I don't understand is why it recognises the drive and otherwise just "works". I guess I'd expect it to either work or not work, not half-work:-)

Quick update:

Just for kicks I thought I'd throw an Audio CD into the USB drive in WinXP to see what happened. This was the result when I tried to open the drive in Windows Explorer (where it shows up fine):

E:\ is not accessible

The disc structure is corrupted and unreadable.

Obviously something weird is going on here.

I then found this thread on the Fusion support board, where someone describes the same problem. Unfortunately, no solution is offered.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/119997

A final update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. I actually think it's a problem with the OS X (host system) drivers that's passed on to the virtualisation drivers. Why do I think that? Well, I tried Parallels instead of VMWare and got the same result: exact same problem. Then I tried installing a Boot Camp partition (which was a far more painful exercise than it should have been) to give the drive direct access to the hardware. That worked a treat: ImgBurn works exactly as it should, the drive is recognised properly by WinXP. Problem solved.

As for the OS X drivers, even though it's not officially supported they should work with Roxio's Toast, and they do, but not properly. Running OS X my drive can't burn Verbatim media, and that same problem is passed on when I'm running in emulation. Running XP directly in Boot Camp I can burn and format the same discs just fine.

So, long story short: run Boot Camp:-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.