Deletion of Incorrect Layer Break Flags in ISO image?

fordman

ImgBurn analyzes and presents options for insertion of a layer break flag into ISO images that don't already have a flag. However, will it delete incorrect flags when it inserts a correct one?

For example, if there is a layer break flag that was OK for a PTP image in the main VTS within the ISO, and ImgBurn finds a valid cell for a layer break flag conforming to the OTP requirements, will it delete the original PTP flag when it inserts the one for the OTP burn?

Or, if I want to make sure the original one is deleted, should I re-author the DVD with PGCEdit, even if ImgBurn finds a valid LB point for OTP?

Yeah it'll try to.

Do remember there is no real flag for a layerbreak and the one we take to mean the layerbreak could actually mean other things.

As such, proceed with caution and keep an eye on the 'SPLIP' (or something like that!) column in the 'Potential Layer Break' window.

Yeah it'll try to.

Do remember there is no real flag for a layerbreak and the one we take to mean the layerbreak could actually mean other things.

As such, proceed with caution and keep an eye on the 'SPLIP' (or something like that!) column in the 'Potential Layer Break' window.

Thanks,

Yes, I realize it's really a non-seamless playback flag. I have one that has it in the main VTS of the image, and it was meant as the pause for the true layer switch, as it's the only one shown in the almost 2 hour VTS. Unfortunately it does not match the requirements for the OTP layer break (sector/16 calculation), and ImgBurn finds that a cell approximately 4 cells earlier DOES match the requirements. Further analysis shows that this was a PTP image, so I assume that is the cause of the difference. Anyway, I'd prefer to just burn the ISO (and toss the .MDS) instead of reauthoring to ensure I don't get two non-seamless flags. It sounds like ImgBurn will do the job! ImgBurn has already succesfully burned a few PTP images to OTP DVD+R DL media, but the original flags did meet the OTP requirements, so there was no worry.

Edited by fordman

OK, I burned it as is. ImgBurn 1.2.0.0 seccessfully inserted a flag at cell 29, but did not remove the original one that was at cell 33.

This was a simple one where there was only one flag in the whole VTS, so I figured if ImgBurn could do it, it would be successful on this. However, I'll reauthor with PGCEdit from now on to be sure.

Suggestion: if the ISO could be prepared by ImgBurn first, with the option of not continuing the burn after it is altered, one could mount it and examine the changes made before burning. This would be especially helpful since DVD+R DL media does not support test mode.

Edited by fordman

Bugger!

Ok, it SHOULD have removed it and I just went to check my code so I could then explain when it wouldn't remove it.

Seems I did a bit of a copy + paste error and was comparing a value to the wrong value of something else. I've have now corrected this.

btw, if you enable program debug mode (F6), you can see more about what's going in. When that 'Potential Layer Break' (just via the 'Display IFO Layer break' option) window comes up, if you actually select an item, it will perform a logical update of the ifo - i.e. it won't actually write it back to the file but it'll show you what it would have changed if it had.

Try it, I'm sure you'll see what I mean ;)

Bugger!

Ok, it SHOULD have removed it and I just went to check my code so I could then explain when it wouldn't remove it.

Seems I did a bit of a copy + paste error and was comparing a value to the wrong value of something else. I've have now corrected this.

btw, if you enable program debug mode (F6), you can see more about what's going in. When that 'Potential Layer Break' (just via the 'Display IFO Layer break' option) window comes up, if you actually select an item, it will perform a logical update of the ifo - i.e. it won't actually write it back to the file but it'll show you what it would have changed if it had.

Try it, I'm sure you'll see what I mean ;)

Great! I already got rid if the ISO, but I'll try your debug exercise on the next of this type I encounter. That could be awhile, as this was the first time I found this. Other PTP images have either had no valid break points and needed to be reauthored, or have had one at a cell that could directly correspond to a valid OTP one. This "behind the scenes" info looks like it would be great - is there a way to enable it all the time? I found the debug mode for I/O, but that's apparently not the same as the program I/O.

I decided to not re-author with PgcEdit as the old invalid flag at cell 33 occurred right at a "fade to black" scene change, so the momentary pause wouldn't be noticeable anyway.

Thanks for looking into it and not just assuming that I was doing something wrong. Your willingness to respond quickly and check your own code is very satisfying to the end user!

F6 is a hidden gem and no, it can't be enabled all the time. That's by design more than anything. These things are useful for debugging stuff and seeing what's going on without making the log all messy to 99% of the users.

I did email you earlier (to the email registered on this board) - incase you don't check it all that often ;)

F6 is a hidden gem and no, it can't be enabled all the time. That's by design more than anything. These things are useful for debugging stuff and seeing what's going on without making the log all messy to 99% of the users.

I did email you earlier (to the email registered on this board) - incase you don't check it all that often ;)

Yes, I enabled it for a routine burn of an .ISO/.MDS and there didn't seem to be much other than without debug on, so I expect that the detail is mainly seen when errors occur. I think I did notice that with debug on, the log showed exactly which VOB the layer break would occur during.

Yes, my e-mail server stuck your e-mail in my junk e-mail folder even though you had my address in the TO line! I've added you to the safe list, so that shouldn't happen again. I reponded affirmatively, by the way.

Thanks for everything,

Ford Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.