Difference between UDF 1.02 and ISO 9660+UDF 1.02?

Gus

What is the difference between UDF 1.02 and ISO 9660+UDF 1.02?

Does the ISO 9660+UDF 1.02 format allow backward compatibility with the older standalone DVD players?

I just want to be sure, since I am more than certain that all current PC DVD players can read all formats.

Regards,

Gus

Yes, UDF (1.02) + ISO 9660, also known as a 'bridge disc', is used for compatibility with DVD-Video players, where they can optionally read just the ISO 9660 file system. Although most players read the UDF file system, the ISO 9660 still needs to be present as many DVD-Video players have poor firmware and rely on fixed offsets!

For compatibility reasons the ISO 9660 must use level 1 file name restrictions and must not include any extensions (e.g. Joliet). The UDF filesystem but be v1.02. I believe ImgBurn enforces these settings for DVD-Video discs.

However, UDF (1.02) + ISO 9660 (level 1) should not be used for data discs unless any programs on that disc have been written with short (DOS 8.3) file names in mind, because if a drive cannot read the UDF file system then they will fall back onto the ISO 9660 file system.

Therefore when creating a DVD-ROM project it is best to opt for pure UDF 1.02, or if you must UDF 1.02 + ISO 9660 (Level 2) + Joliet, though the latter gives you less flexibility on file name length.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.