ImgBurn won't recognize DVD drive?

jek2211

Hey I am having difficulty getting ImgBurn to recognize my DVD Burner in my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. I just recently started burning Dual Layer discs for playing on a modded XBOX 360 and had burned several without any issues. Now all of a sudden, my drive is not recognized and appears as 'unknown'. I can still play and burn regular DVD/CD disks, but it won't let me do anything with a DL one.

Here is the message of what I get every time I open ImgBurn up now:

I 19:04:19 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 19:04:19 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6002 : Service Pack 2)

I 19:04:19 Total Physical Memory: 3,658,876 KB - Available: 2,484,068 KB

I 19:04:19 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:04:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:04:19 Found 1 Unknown!

Also, my drive (TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H) has the latest firmware available from Dell's support site.

Any ideas to what's going on?

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.0.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: [None Found]

Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

When I first put the disc in, it makes a noise. The best I can describe it as is a 'grinding', but I know there is no damage being done. I assume this is just my drive moving the head of the laser back and forth in an attempt to read the disc. It always makes this noise no matter what kind of media I am using (CD,DVD,etc.), but for the Dual Layer discs it seems more prolonged and seems to be louder (which might just be in my head). The first few burns went by with no problems about a month ago, but now it takes forever (anywhere between 5-10 min) to even recognize a disc is in my drive.

My laptop was purchased during the summer of 2008, and my drive's manufacture date was somewhere in 2007 (I can't recall the exact date).

Edited by jek2211

I reinstalled Windows about 3-4 months ago, but have had no problems/issues of any kind. I did not manually do anything to the drivers, but I did do the automatic Windows search for the newest ones.

The drive's firmware version is DW10. Which is the newest available.

Wipe out the ide/atapi controllers as per the DMA post in the FAQ, that might fix it.

That seems to have done the trick for now. At least my drive is being recognized. I think I got a poor batch of DL DVD's as well which is complicating my problems even more.

Thanks for the help and if more problems show up I will come here first. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.