Disc quality + laptop problems.

Jeboo

Here's a bit of back story.

I had a bunch of divx files that I encoded into mpeg2 streams for DVD.

Then, using a program I initially found called DVD Flick, I created the ISO image and the files in the VIDEO_TS folder, so that they were ready for burning to DVD.

I'm almost positive that it isn't a problem with the ISO file or the VIDEO_TS files, because when viewing both in VLC player there aren't any jumps or audio problems.

However, I did the following and encountered some problems.

Firstly, I tried writing the ISO file to a DVD-R (Sony brand). When I put in my DVD player, it recognised it as a DVD, which is all well and good. But when playing, occasionally the audio will fall out and go silent, and usually at the same time the video may freeze up a bit as well. I thought it may be a problem with my DVD player, so I tried the disc in my laptop, which wouldn't even read it properly (though this could unfortunately be a problem with my laptop, it was being temperamental with reading other data discs and burnt DVD's I tried prior to this situation). However, I do doubt it's a problem with my DVD, because everytime I rewind and try again, it happens in the same spot. And trying it with my PS2, which read the disc (albeit showing it in the wrong aspect ratio), the jumps were in the same spot. The discs are new, it's like it's a problem with the encoding process.

The exact same above thing happened when I tried building the VIDEO_TS folder to a disc.

It's worth pointing out that any drive errors in the logs at the end, could be connected to using my laptop, which doesn't have a disc tray but instead a feeding style one.

Attached are what I'm fairly confident are the relevant reports.

Oh yeah, and I'm running Vista SP2 (I think), 1.3.0.7 build 738 of DVD Flick, and 2.5.5.0 of ImgBurn.

If anyone knows why ImgBurn discs aren't reading properly in my laptop, as a side note, it'd be much appreciated (but not overly important). The main problem is the quality I seem to be getting on the discs. Cheers.

ISO.txt

VIDEO_TS.txt

Edited by Jeboo

If your drive isn't doing a very good job of burning the Sony discs, don't use them.

Try some Verbatim / Taiyo Yuden ones instead.

It might also be an idea to clean the drive with a cleaning disc.

Make sure you verify the disc - even if that means you have to remove the disc when it cycles the tray and then feed it back in again manually.

If your drive isn't doing a very good job of burning the Sony discs, don't use them.

Try some Verbatim / Taiyo Yuden ones instead.

It might also be an idea to clean the drive with a cleaning disc.

Make sure you verify the disc - even if that means you have to remove the disc when it cycles the tray and then feed it back in again manually.

Tried an Imation DVD-R that was lying around, tried verifying it (I burnt the ISO too). The same type of problems with skipping occurred, in the same places as well oddly enough. Attached is a report. It verified perfectly up until about 88%, then it started running into a lot of errors.

Burnt another Sony DVD-R, also tried verifying it (I burnt the ISO this time as well). This disc refused to verify properly, everytime I put it in the disc drive, it spun for a while, then said "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present - Tray Open)". It was like it wasn't even recognising that there was a disc in there. I did try the Sony DVD-R in my DVD player though, it worked, but with the same problems as before.

Edit: It's odd, because I've burnt CD's fine before (even though it's probably vastly different technology, but I dunno.)

I tried both of the above discs in my laptop. The Sony one didn't recognise.

The Imation one did however. The audio DIDN'T cut out where it had when played on the DVD player, but in certain sections it did slow down and speed up temperamentally, which is a problem.

In conclusion: the old DVD player and PS2 probably did no good at reading the disc in the first place, so I'm not sure about it. My laptop SHOULD be fine at reading and burning the DVD's, but it doesn't look like it is. I'll have to get a cleaner.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

ALTHOUGH, it is interesting that on both DVD's, they BOTH had audio/video problems during this part on multiple episodes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-zNyHC4ok&feature=related)

imationISOverify.txt

Edited by Jeboo

I 07:16:26 Destination Device: [1:0:0] TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A D300 (E:) (ATA)

I 07:16:26 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 3x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

I 07:16:26 Write Speed: 8x

Update your burner's firmware (remove any disc and close the tray before updating then reboot after it's finished) and try again.

I 07:16:26 Destination Device: [1:0:0] TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A D300 (E:) (ATA)

I 07:16:26 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 3x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

I 07:16:26 Write Speed: 8x

Update your burner's firmware (remove any disc and close the tray before updating then reboot after it's finished) and try again.

Cheers. :) I'll have to burn it in the morning but I'll reply again later with how it goes.

Right, so after updating my drivers, same problems occur on a newly burnt disc in the same spots. Also, couldn't verify the Sony disc this time either. And it still won't read in my laptop. Which probably means it could be a problem with the drive physically, but I don't know.

Recapping, the ISO seems fine on my computer. It's perfect. But there's certain errors when burning it to DVD.

Is there any possible explanation for why it always seems to jump up during scenes like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-zNyHC4ok&feature=related

Because it does it lot during the opening, it seems like it might jump up when it's trying to process a lot of images and or audio.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.