Burning BD-RE DL

Eluder

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum, but have been using ImgBurn for years. I recently picked up my first BD burner (Pioneer BDR-205) and I am currently burning my first BD movie ever.

I simply ripped a copy of my The Hangover BD using AnyDVD HD's image ripper function and have proceeded to burn the ISO. My question is regarding the Zeroing Sectors process which occurs before the image is written to the disc. I am using a TDK BD-RE DL disc (brand new) and it had to be formatted first, which took no time at all, but then ImgBurn had to Zero the Sectors, which took over 90 minutes to complete at 2x. What exactly is this process and is it done before each write? If so, that will really make burning BDs an arduously long process. Thanks to any info you may provide.

Well technically it's not needed, I just do it because isn't that what you'd expect a full erase to do? (i.e. wipe the data that's already on it)

The 'format' command you NEED to send to the drive before it'll let you write anything to a new BD-RE doesn't zero the sectors so (IMO) that isn't enough by itself.

Well technically it's not needed, I just do it because isn't that what you'd expect a full erase to do? (i.e. wipe the data that's already on it)

The 'format' command you NEED to send to the drive before it'll let you write anything to a new BD-RE doesn't zero the sectors so (IMO) that isn't enough by itself.

Sorry, a little confused by your response... so is there any way to speed up the overall process of writing to a BD-RE, say disabling this zeroing sectors function?

It took roughly 3 hrs to do the whole thing, including writing the image, which is just almost not worth writing to a BD-RE.

Thanks.

As mmalves said, the format only needs to be done once. If you want to write to the BD-RE again you just go straight over the top of anything that's already on it - i.e. there's no additional formatting/erasing involved.

If you decide you want to blank the disc again (which is pointless unless you need to securely wipe something from it), I recommend you just use Discovery mode as that zero fills the sectors but you won't have to wait for the drive to finish with the 'format' command.

As mmalves said, the format only needs to be done once. If you want to write to the BD-RE again you just go straight over the top of anything that's already on it - i.e. there's no additional formatting/erasing involved.

If you decide you want to blank the disc again (which is pointless unless you need to securely wipe something from it), I recommend you just use Discovery mode as that zero fills the sectors but you won't have to wait for the drive to finish with the 'format' command.

Thanks! This worked out for me, I just burned the next image over the first burn and it didn't have to zero sectors again. Since I'll never burn anything that needs to be securely wiped on the BD-RE, I think that blanking the disc will be unnecessary for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.