OTP Versus PTP...help with ImgBurn Error

HereToday

I am a new user of ImgBurn and need some help with next steps. Let me first say that I am a long time user of DVDD so I am familiar with the interface and settings.

I have an .ISO/.MDS combination that I created using DVDD and want to simply burn using ImgBurn on a DVD+R DL. When I start the burn I get a pop-up warning that states the following:

Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_01)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the 'DVD-Video specification' criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue anyway?

Well...I'm not the type into continuing without understanding everything. Where did I go wrong? I thought the layer break info was in the .MDS file but I am now thinking that the original was a PTP and the target is an OTP so I need to make some changes but I don't know what/where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading for an hour or so already so if I've missed a thread that explains please just point me to it.

TIA

You'll need to either extract the files from that MDS/ISO combo and rebuild it using PgcEdit, or do the same via mounting it within DAEMON Tools.

I saw this recommendation to mount the image via Daemon Tools before and tried it. It didn't work because PGCEdit needs to modify the source files (IFO/BUP anyway), and it cannot do that with a virtual DVD-ROM because it is read-only.

Am I missing something? Is there perhaps a way to have PGCEdit copy the needed modifications to the hard drive, and then make on-the-fly substitutions into the rebuilt image?

Good point, I forgot about that ;)

Ok so you'll need to extract them.

Thanks for the confirmation, though I was hoping it was possible!

I imagine PGCEdit could likely be modified to compute the needed changes, write just the modified files to a temporary directory, and then insert those changed files into the image as it is being built... I think this is sort of how RecordNow Deluxe does it for recording on the fly while setting the layer break - it doesn't touch the source files.

Thanks for the assistance LightningUK and fordman :) . I have now gotten past the ImgBurn error message and am burning using a PgcEdit created .ISO with PgcEdit launching ImgBurn.

Now I have another question/problem (!)

During burning I keep getting the following warnings:

W 14:59:15 Failed to Write Sectors 133888 - 133919 - Write Error - Recovery Needed

W 14:59:15 Retrying (1 of 20)...

I 14:59:15 Writing Image...

W 14:59:24 Failed to Write Sectors 138272 - 138303 - Write Error - Recovery Needed

W 14:59:24 Retrying (1 of 20)...

I 14:59:24 Writing Image...

W 14:59:34 Failed to Write Sectors 143008 - 143039 - Write Error - Recovery Needed

W 14:59:34 Retrying (1 of 20)...

I 14:59:34 Writing Image...

W 14:59:43 Failed to Write Sectors 147136 - 147167 - Write Error - Recovery Needed

W 14:59:43 Retrying (1 of 20)...

I 14:59:43 Writing Image...

This is just a small paste from a much larger list of these. I have burned about 5 discs and one didn't have any of these and the other 4 are rife with them. I think it may be bad disks (I'm using some Memorex DVD+R DL's that are RITEK D01-01). I am going to buy some Verbatim next.

Question is this...If it always just gives 1 retry and then continues can I assume that my disk is usable? Does this mean that error recovery worked? Or should I just ditch the disk any time I get a write error of any sort?

I think you're right about these discs. They're junk.

Now I'm getting the following:

W 15:44:59 Failed to Write Sectors 4082224 - 4082255 - No Seek Complete

W 15:44:59 Retrying (1 of 20)...

I 15:44:59 Writing Image...

I count about 60-70 errors in total. Ritek just lost my business for good :angry:

I imagine PGCEdit could likely be modified to compute the needed changes, write just the modified files to a temporary directory, and then insert those changed files into the image as it is being built... I think this is sort of how RecordNow Deluxe does it for recording on the fly while setting the layer break - it doesn't touch the source files.

Err! It is not sufficient to overwrite the files in the ISO, because the files must be moved, by inserting some gaps between them. This is how the layer break cell is properly anigned with the start of an ECC bloc. Moving the files requires a full rebuild of the ISO image.

Anyway, even overwriting the files at the same position is not a piece of cake.

I think he/we were talking more about you just using those as the source files - i.e. rather than having to actually extract them and taking up another 7gb of space.

Then of course you'd have to write the new ifo files to a temp directory and merge them back in (logically of course!) with the remainder of the (read only) source files from the mounted image, ready for mkisofs to build a new iso.

LIGHTNINGUK,

I have two additional questions now that I have gotten a little further (I now understand PgcEdit's usage, at least from a newbie standpoint :)). To impose a little more on your question answering goodwill:

1) I created three .ISO's using the exact same method and the first one gave me the error in my original post that started this thread. I have gone back and used ImgBurn's 'Display IFO Layer Break Information...' on all three and only the first one gives the error. The second and third have layer break information reported back. Why would this be? Furthermore, do the second and third need to be "corrected" via PgcEdit or not since they report layer break info?

2) On 3 disc's now I have gotten a failure during the Leadin portion of the write during sectors 32-63 and ImgBurn fails on all 20 attempts. The disc is still empty so I can cycle the tray and try again but inevitably the later burn errors occur. Is this most likely bad discs or somethings else entirely? I have ImgBurn set to use SPTI - Microsoft. I'm thinking maybe I should try another I/O interface.

Thanks for all the help thus far...still learning.

Ok. Verbatim disc this time. Still got the same error as before. Here's the log:

I 21:56:45 ImgBurn Version 1.3.0.0 started!

I 21:56:45 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:56:45 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:56:45 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:56:45 Found 2 DVD-ROMs, 1 DVD?RW and 1 Unknown!

I 22:02:12 Operation Started!

I 22:02:12 Source File: E:\DVDupe\Stargate SG1\SG1_S1_V1_PGCEDIT.ISO

I 22:02:12 Source File Sectors: 4,125,719 (MODE1/2048)

I 22:02:12 Source File Size: 8,449,472,512 bytes

I 22:02:12 Source File Volume Identifier: SG1_S1_V1

I 22:02:12 Source File Application Identifier: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR © 1993 E.YOUNGDALE © 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING

I 22:02:12 Source File Implementation Identifier: mkisofs

I 22:02:12 Source File UDF Revision: 1.02

I 22:02:12 Destination Device: [3:0:0] PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A 1.09 (G:) (ATA)

I 22:02:12 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-001-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x)

I 22:02:12 Destination Media Sectors: 4,173,824

I 22:02:12 Write Mode: DVD

I 22:02:12 Write Type: DAO

I 22:02:12 Write Speed: 6x

I 22:02:12 Link Size: Auto

I 22:02:12 Test Mode: No

I 22:02:12 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 22:02:12 Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: 2062864 (VTS_01, PGC: 1, Cell: 1)

I 22:02:12 Optimal L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,062,864

I 22:02:12 Optimal L0 Data Zone Method: IFO Cell Boundary, 'SPLIP' Flag Not Set

I 22:02:12 Filling Buffer...

I 22:02:12 Writing LeadIn...

W 22:02:41 Failed to Write Sectors 32 - 63 - Invalid Field in CDB

W 22:02:41 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retry Failed - Invalid Field in CDB

W 22:02:41 Retrying (2 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (3 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (4 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (5 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (6 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (7 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (8 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (9 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (10 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (11 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (12 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (13 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (14 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (15 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (16 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (17 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (18 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (19 of 20)...

W 22:02:41 Retrying (20 of 20)...

E 22:02:47 Failed to Write Sectors 32 - 63 - Invalid Field in CDB

I 22:02:47 Synchronising Cache...

I 22:02:48 Closing Track...

I 22:02:49 Finalising Disc...

E 22:02:54 Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Empty or Partially Written Reserved Track

E 22:02:54 Failed to Write Image!

E 22:02:54 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:41

I 22:02:54 Average Write Rate: 0 KB/s (0.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 0 KB/s (0.0x)

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I've shutdown AnyDVD.

I think my drive is bad. I've now burned a Verbatim coaster.

Anyone have any drive recommendations? I keep getting weird errors during verify like:

W 23:13:31 Waiting for device to become ready...

W 23:13:32 Device Not Ready - Unable to Recover TOC

W 23:13:32 Retrying (1 of 3)...

Or

I 23:14:33 Verifying Sectors...

E 23:15:27 Failed to read Sector 0 - Servo Seek Error - Target Not Met

E 23:15:27 Failed to Verify Sectors!

E 23:15:27 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:53

When I see Servo Seek Errors I start thinking hardware problems.

Don't know if I want to buy another Plextor though...I bought this one because everything I read lead me to believe they were the best. Now I'm not sure.

I must admit, what you're seeing there, specifically the 'Unable to recover TOC' error message, is exactly what I kept getting when my PX-716A broke the other month.

I just filled out an RMA form on Plextor's site and they sent me a new drive.

I assume you've tried burning at 2.4x too? (Even though 6x should be fine with that drive).

Dunno about Pain; but I went through about an hour with Plex on the phone when they decided mine was stuffed and RMA'd it also, the unit was almost a year old and I've had the new one for about a month without a problem yet.... <_< In the States you have to go through customer service to RMA it, they give you a number that is good for 30 days and you simply UPS it to them in Southern Ohio. :thumbup:

Err! It is not sufficient to overwrite the files in the ISO, because the files must be moved, by inserting some gaps between them. This is how the layer break cell is properly anigned with the start of an ECC bloc. Moving the files requires a full rebuild of the ISO image.

Anyway, even overwriting the files at the same position is not a piece of cake.

Sorry, r0lZ! I did not mean to minimize the effort this might take. I use your PGCEdit tool and love it. I think my analogy to what RecordNow Deluxe was a poor one, given that it modifies VIDEO_TS file collections on the fly, and not ISO images.

Now that I see your reponse, I see that it might be more than difficult - I agree that it is impracticle if not impossible!

The only reason that I was suggesting such a feature might be nice was for those images that require reauthoring, but I do not have the empty space to receive the extracted files. One other advantage would possibly be the ability to keep the file dates and times the same as in the original image. That was one of the best features of DVDD - the image looked the same, even the volume serial number!

In that vein - would it be possible to add a method in PGCEdit to stamp all files with a specific time and date when creating an ISO (or recording directly withing PGCEdit)? Programs like Nero or RecordNow provide a method to either keep original dates and times, or change them to a specific (or current) date and time. Currently I go through a rather convoluted methodology of launching PowerDesk (which supports changing file dates/times) right before selecting my layer break position, change all the file dates/times to the desired figures and then change my system clock to the same date and time (this ensures that even the . and .. directory entries as viewed from a command prompt match).

For single layers the method is easier. I use PGCEdit to fix up the files, then use PowerDesk to change the file dates and times (even the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories themselves) and then make the ISO with ImgTool Classic. It manages to maintain the file dates and times even without changing my system clock.

Thanks,

FordMan

Edited by fordman

You'll need to either extract the files from that MDS/ISO combo and rebuild it using PgcEdit, or do the same via mounting it within DAEMON Tools.

I saw this recommendation to mount the image via Daemon Tools before and tried it. It didn't work because PGCEdit needs to modify the source files (IFO/BUP anyway), and it cannot do that with a virtual DVD-ROM because it is read-only.

Is it really true that there is no way to use Daemon Tools to mount an ISO13364 (UDF) image file RW? :o That's a grave dissapointment for me, since it is a very useful thing. (Though not for DVDMovie in connection with Layer Break issues, I know that.) Very easy to do on Linux or Solaris, with built-in support for loop-back mounting udfs.

I was planning to get and install the lastest Daemon Tools on my Win XP at home to be able to do stuff like that on that computer as well, but then I should perhaps go look elsewhere for this functionality?? :angry:

Grmpf.

/M

Indeed, if you need to edit the contents of an image, DT is not the tool for you.

I believe people use things like UltraISO.

Right. Fair enough, I'll use UltraISO then... I have it, just not installed it yet. ;) I suppose the purpose of DT is slightly different, it's meant to be an aid/tool for playing games 100% from HD with the images of CD's (& DVDs?) being put as files there. I guess the author(s) feel no need or point in that context to have antything RW...

Cheers,

/M

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.