Multisession for backups

NickM

The reasons for the developers not to (personally) want multisession options for writing DVDs has been mentioned before in other threads [1]. I'd like to open this topic for discussion on other users requirements and hopefully get good reasons why or why not to have multisession capable burning in ImgBurn.

For my purposes, I create backup sets to an external drive which after a set period of time (not a set size of information) I wish to archive these to CD. I then create an encrypted volume with TrueCrypt and transfer this to DVD. Once the next period of archiving comes, it would be logical to add this to the same backup disk (and duplicate disk).

For me, it is not about using a DVD like a pen drive and burning changed files, but adding volumes to the same archive set. I find it hugely wasteful having to burn new DVDs every time I wish to shift of the backup sets, and not suitable to leave files around until they reach a size to suit the size of the burn. This argument is much like using a filing cabinet once then buying a new cabinet for every year's files when there is plenty of space in the existing cabinet.

Other views?...

[1] http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6087

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.