Unable to turn on BD-R defect management

Number Cruncher

I don't have a common burner (it's one of the few IDE BD-RE writers that handles BD-R DL), so that may be part of it.

In ImgBurn, turning on the drive's defect management feature (by clearing the "BD-R Verify Not Required" check box) does not turn on the drive's defect management, as it still burns at full speed. In Nero, checking the "Defect Management" check box does work, as the drive burns at about 70% speed when the box is checked.

Drive is Plextor PX-B900A, firmware is 1.01 (the latest; there ever was only one firmware update released for the drive).

Changing that option manipulates a flag (funnily enough, called 'Verify Not Required') in every 'Write' command (see MMC specs), nothing more.

It's probably not the same thing as Nero's 'Defect Management'.

To me, 'Defect Management' is the spare areas stuff that you configure when formatting BD-RE. I don't know how it relates to BD-R media.

Yeah, I've been unsure of that as well. It almost seems to me that "Defect Management" for BD-R implies that if you write to a BD-R or BD-R DL and there are defects (dust or fingerprints for example) that could stop the burn, then it will somehow be able to skip those sectors and save the expensive BD-R DL. But I have no idea. I have in fact had BD-R's with visible defects on them that fail burning in Nero at the defect, even with "Defect Management" checked.

I mistakenly thought that "Defect Management" in Nero was the same as "BD-R Verify Not Required" in ImgBurn. So thanks for clarifying that!

When I do leave the "BD-R Verify Not Required" box unchecked, I am still able to burn at 2x speed when specifying 2x speed, so I had thought that it wasn't working. Checking the "defect management" box in Nero does slow the write down to about 60% of full speed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.