burning 4x media at 1x, is it possible?

nyder

I need to burn some disk at 1x or 2x, but they are rated like 4x or 8x.

While I notice I can set the write speed to 1x, the write rate is still at 4x.

So my question is, is it really a 1x disk or a 4x disk that I wrote?

Am I able to burn disks at 1x or 2x when they are rated higher?

thanks

Yes. You can burn at any speed you like but obviously if it is faster than the drive/media combination can accurately burn at, you are going to make coasters.

If you manually enter 1x in the Write Speed scroll down box on the right when you are in Write mode, that is the speed it will burn at. If you are setting that at 1x or 2x, I don't see where you are seeing that it is writing at 4x. Perhaps you can elucidate!

Note that this is incorrect - see below

Edited by brit0n

Sorry but that is incorrect.

You can *ask* as drive to burn at any speed you like but it'll just ignore you and go with the closest speed that it actually supports.

The supported write speeds are listed in the disc info box on the right.

The 'Write Rate' (i.e. actual burn speed) is mentioned on the main window during the burn.

Sorry but that is incorrect.

Don't be sorry - my apologies for getting that wrong. Didn't realise how recent the query was or I would have left it for you guys.

1. So when I attempt to "force" the write speed to 1x, in fact the drive/media combination may not be able to work that slowly?

2. And if so, ImgBurn (being smarter than the average burner) knows I am dumb so doesn't point this out and carries on with speeds the drive/media CAN support? Which is why when I tested after answering that question, with drive/media combo that I have AWS rated at 2.4x but I have "set" at 1x cos I don't mind how long it takes, I see speeds varying between 2.3 and 2.4? And does that suggest that the AWS rating of 2.4x is probably correct?

3. Back to the OP's question. Does that mean there is no way to "throttle" the write speed to the slowest possible or is that effectively what setting 1x is doing? Or will setting the AWS still allow ImgBurn to throttle back if it needs to? (and yes, I just re-read your excellent guide to AWS but I am still not sure on this point.)

(To explain why I am asking Q3, whenever I let a 2.4x rated DVD run at AWS of 2.4x, it won't auto-start in Windows and takes slightly longer to get loaded when I stick it in a regular DVD player whereas setting it to 1x seems to remove these issues.)

1. True.

2. Sounds as you don't use the log window. :whistling: There are tons of info in that log window.

ImgBurn reports this if you select an unsupported write speed.

I 17:23:28 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 17:23:28 Destination Media Sectors: 4,173,824

I 17:23:28 Write Mode: DVD

I 17:23:28 Write Type: DAO

I 17:23:28 Write Speed: 2x

I 17:23:28 Link Size: Auto

I 17:23:28 Lock Volume: Yes

I 17:23:28 Test Mode: No

I 17:23:28 OPC: No

I 17:23:28 BURN-Proof: Enabled

W 17:23:28 Write Speed Miscompare! - Wanted: 2,770 KB/s (2x), Got: 3,324 KB/s (2.4x)

2x wanted, but only 2.4x supported.

You also see the actual used write speed if you look in the last rows of a log - in the area on how long time the burn took. It also reports the average and max speed.

3. No. If the firmware/drive doesn't support a lower speed, it's not possible to force it to burn slower.

Okay, I understand. Guess I need to find an old DVD writer then.

thanks

or i guess old DVD's that only support like 2x writing, but i think the older dvd burner might be easier. lol

1. True.

2. Sounds as you don't use the log window. :whistling: There are tons of info in that log window.

ImgBurn reports this if you select an unsupported write speed.

I 17:23:28 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 17:23:28 Destination Media Sectors: 4,173,824

I 17:23:28 Write Mode: DVD

I 17:23:28 Write Type: DAO

I 17:23:28 Write Speed: 2x

I 17:23:28 Link Size: Auto

I 17:23:28 Lock Volume: Yes

I 17:23:28 Test Mode: No

I 17:23:28 OPC: No

I 17:23:28 BURN-Proof: Enabled

W 17:23:28 Write Speed Miscompare! - Wanted: 2,770 KB/s (2x), Got: 3,324 KB/s (2.4x)

2x wanted, but only 2.4x supported.

You also see the actual used write speed if you look in the last rows of a log - in the area on how long time the burn took. It also reports the average and max speed.

3. No. If the firmware/drive doesn't support a lower speed, it's not possible to force it to burn slower.

Okay, I understand. Guess I need to find an old DVD writer then.

I don't think that is a solution. Old burners will most certainly not support your 'modern' media like the Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67 very good.

Why is it important to burn at 2x?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.