CD-RW "Erase Now?" possible?

dbminter

Something I only just now thought of after encountering it. :) Can images written to CD-RW be erased before a burn begins like with rewritable DVD's? After trying to burn a single track, bootable data image to CD-RW that had data on it already but was not necessary, I had to cancel at the start because ImgBurn didn't detect enough free sectors on the disc. Which makes sense since the disc was closed and data was on it. But, with rewritable DVD's, ImgBurn asks you if you want to erase a disc that has data on it or not. With CD-RW, it seems that the only option is to stop, manually erase, and then restart the burn.

Can CD-RW be made to do like with rewritable DVD discs, or, is it limitation in the hardware/CD-RW design/software that makes it impossible or impractical? Hence why I've added here to suggestions. ;) If it was just an oversite, then, it makes a good suggestion. If it's limited by whatever, then, that can be discussed, too. :D

Thanks!

Sorry db, I think you're on your own on this one.

I just put a burnt cdrw in the drive and the program correctly says 'Ready (Disc Needs Erasing)' in the status bar.

Then once I'd selected my image and clicked 'Write', it said:

"This disc needs to be erased before you can write to it.

Would you like to erase it now?"

with Yes / No options.

If your drive didn't initially detect the disc as erasable (or where Current Profile = CDRW), that might explain it.

The feature to erase CDRW automatically is there if everything else is working ok.

Must have been a fluke, as I can't re-create it. Same image, same disc, same drives. Burned the disc in one drive, then, attempted to overwrite it in the same, which succeded. Then, put the disc in the other drive, burned it, succeeded, attempted to burn over the contents, succeded there. Then, swapped the disc back and repeated the first test again with the same results. Oh, well. :)

I'll try to remember. :lol: All I can recall from earlier was I got the same type of error as I had before in the past. That there weren't enough sectors available to burn to. But, that came up in a separate dialog, so, what might have been in the right display is anyone's guess. :)

I noticed the same problem - a CD-RW not that was burnt, and when I tried to burn another image onto it, it said the disc was too small! I erased the disc manually and imgburn burnt the disc on the second attempt.

I did notice that the Status was "Status: incomplete". The CD-RW was previously an AudioCD, and about to become a data cd.

Sorry for the limited information, but I'm at uni and am late for a hurry for class!

I believe my disc had been a CD-Audio burned to the CD-RW in question as well. In a previous test. Let me see if I can recreate the situation by using the disc, burning a CD-Audio image to it (Using a spoken word CD, since the title I recall from the disc was for one.) and trying the same test again.

However, I am more apt to wonder about the application that created the image or burned it, outside of ImgBurn. Based on the age of the disc I think was used, I burned the audio image with Alcohol.

pfeerick, do you have Alcohol installed or have you used it to burn images in the past?

pfeerick, do you have Alcohol installed or have you used it to burn images in the past?

dB,

I have used Alcohol 120% in the past, but it's not installed or in use at the current time. The disc in question was written using burnatonce.

Rgds,

pfeerick

I did try burning an Audio cd to CDRW and seeing how my program reacted.

It worked fine and asked if I wanted to erase before it would burn a normal data image.

The erase happens before the disc space is checked so I'm not really sure where your initial problem is coming from.

G'Day,

Finally pinned it down. The CD-RW was in unfinalised multi-session format. I accidently left Burnatonce in multisession mode, and so it didn't finalise the disc, and ImgBurn didn't offer to erase it. I also ran up Nero bloatware and created a multisession Data session as a test, and Imgburn also didn't want to automatically prompt to erase the disc. Hope that helps you, dB.

Rgds,

pfeerick

It might. :) I can't remember the exact circumstances of the creation of the audio CD I had burned on the CD-RW. It was nearly a year ago, but, I believe it was created in Nero. Nero didn't burn it, just created the image used as the source for the burn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.