Image may be too big to fit??

Blaine33

I've been trying to backup one of my DL DVDs, as I have with countless others using ImgBurn, but this one has me stymied! With AnyDVD running in the background, I attempt to build a DL image of my disc, but...the log speaks for itself:

I 14:41:07 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 14:41:07 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 14:41:07 Total Physical Memory: 2,088,044 KB - Available: 1,468,376 KB

I 14:41:07 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:41:07 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:41:07 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI iHAP322 8 UL19 (E:) (ATA)

I 14:41:07 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 1.03 (G:) (ATA)

I 14:41:08 -> Drive 3 - Info: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D 1.18 (F:) (ATA)

I 14:41:08 -> Drive 4 - Info: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112L 1.24 (I:) (USB)

I 14:41:08 Found 1 DVD±RW and 3 DVD±RW/RAMs!

I 14:42:07 Operation Started!

I 14:42:07 Building Image Tree...

I 14:42:09 Checking Directory Depth...

I 14:42:09 Calculating Totals...

I 14:42:09 Preparing Image...

W 14:42:15 User accepted that image may be too big to fit on the target DVD media!

E 14:42:21 Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

E 14:42:21 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:14

Ironically, the full disc backed up perfectly with CloneCD and a trial version of DVDFab 6. But try as I may, ImgBurn can't/won't do it. Truth be told, the DVD is a bucket of protection scheme worms, according to AnyDVD (and Windows Explorer sees the contents as 20GB -- protection at work here).

Summary for drive I: (AnyDVD 6.6.3.0)

PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-112L 1.24 07/08/08PIONEER

Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.

Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Size of first Layer: 1972176 sectors (3851 MBytes)

Total size: 3759184 sectors (7342 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: UP_IN_THE_AIR

Media is CSS protected!

Video Standard: NTSC

Media is locked to region(s): 1 4!

Found & removed structural copy protection!

Found & removed invalid cell pieces!

Found & removed bogus title set(s)!

Found & removed invalid VOBUs!

RCE protection not found.

UDF filesystem patched!

Autorun not found on Video DVD.

Found & removed 24 potential bad sector protections!

Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

What am I missing here? Any settings that need to be changed since I updated to 2.5.1.0?

Looking forward to a solution, I can't live without ImgBurn:)

when u say --> I've been trying to backup one of my DL DVDs

you mean you want a 1:1 exact copy of it?

or you want to backup it up to a Single Layer DVD?

No, I want to build a 1:1 exact copy of it and burn to DL.

well why dont you just use ANYDVD to transfer your DVD DL content to your Hard Drive

or rip to image??

2e367ug.png

and then Burn it using ImgBurn??

That's a thought, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I've done that in the past, but only with a few stubbornly scratched discs. Will report back.

PS: DVD Decrypter (still a trusty tool on occasion) gave me the same read error as ImgBurn.

Edited by Blaine33

No, I want to build a 1:1 exact copy of it and burn to DL.

Then why are you using the Build mode? You should be using Read mode then burn it with the Write mode.

Because the Read mode creates an ISO image without any compensation for layer breaks. And as I mentioned several times, I'm trying to backup a DL disc.

Because the Read mode creates an ISO image without any compensation for layer breaks.

The Read mode creates a .iso image file and also a .mds file which contains the source disc's layerbreak position, so yeah, it's a perfect copy of the original disc.

Because the Read mode creates an ISO image without any compensation for layer breaks.

The Read mode creates a .iso image file and also a .mds file which contains the source disc's layerbreak position, so yeah, it's a perfect copy of the original disc.

Live and learn:) I suppose this would extend the discussion beyond my initial issue, but what circumstances determine the use of the Build mode vs. the Read mode? I've always used Build for single and dual layer backups and until this particular DVD, never ran into a problem. I need to do more than just use ImgBurn intuitively...research always helps...LOL

BTW, I just used AnyDVD to Rip Video DVD to HD and finally ImgBurn sees it as a "normal" DL disc in the build mode...no issue with size and lack of layers.

Edited by Blaine33

It would have helped to see the actual error box that popped up at the start.

Like how big did it think the files were in total and how big did it think the disc in the drive was?

Is the layer break option in the settings still on 'Calculate Optimal' ?

Were you trying to build an image file or burn directly to disc?

It would have helped to see the actual error box that popped up at the start.

Like how big did it think the files were in total and how big did it think the disc in the drive was?

Is the layer break option in the settings still on 'Calculate Optimal' ?

Were you trying to build an image file or burn directly to disc?

I was trying to build an image file (to my hard drive) as I've done countless times in the past -- and subsequently burn to disc with ImgBurn. The two screen captures show the error boxes. No.2 came up after I said "yes" to No.1. The drive (via Win Explorer) saw the DL disc as 20GB!! But when I ripped the files to hard drive using AnyDVD, ImgBurn saw the files as their usual 7+GB size. Yet oddly enough, after ripping & burning the DVD with CloneCD (perfectly, I did some sample viewing of the movie to make sure) ImgBurn STILL saw the BURNED DISC as "too large" -- as did Windows Explorer (20GB...again). But using ImgBurn's Read mode, all is well and it's a "normal" DL rip & burn.

I attribute it to the copy protection scheme -- it's a pretty new release. I haven't done enough of my homework to differentiate between the advantages of Build vs. Read mode, but Read seems to overcome the issues I've had with this disc.

post-33074-126903426482.jpg

post-33074-126903427238.jpg

Ah all makes sense now.

Read mode is basically the same as CloneCD. It uses the physical media size rather than individual file sizes and reads every sector on the disc rather than every byte of each file.

Yes, that seems to be the case. And here I've been using Build mode for ages...what do I know? Still, it's a pretty curious protection scheme. I guess I won't need CloneCD anymore :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.