ImgBurn not burning ISO- gets stuck on lead in

2talll

I just went out and bought a new batch of Verbatim DVD+Rs and tried burning a DVD but I've tried 5 different DVDs and I get the same errors. There MUST be something wrong with the burner since I had the exact same problem with an entire box of Fuji DVDs a couple months back. Is it even possible to have 2 ENTIRE 50 packs of DVDs from two seperate companies have the same problems?

Could the settings have changed when I updated my Drivers firmware or re0installed the ASPI levels? How can I check, and what do I look to switch?

Here's the error I got when i tried again: (I've tried 10 different disks and 4 different ISO files and I get the same thing.

I 22:16:51 ImgBurn Version 1.3.0.0 started!

I 22:16:51 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 22:16:51 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:16:51 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:16:51 Found 1 DVD+RW!

I 22:17:07 Operation Started!

I 22:17:07 Source File: E:\TAMARA.ISO

I 22:17:07 Source File Sectors: 1,977,416 (MODE1/2048)

I 22:17:07 Source File Size: 4,049,747,968 bytes

I 22:17:07 Source File Volume Identifier: TAMARA

I 22:17:07 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink

I 22:17:07 Source File UDF Revision: 1.02

I 22:17:07 Destination Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N 1.19 (D:) (ATA)

I 22:17:07 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MCC-004-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x)

I 22:17:07 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104

I 22:17:07 Write Mode: DVD

I 22:17:07 Write Type: DAO

I 22:17:07 Write Speed: 2.4x

I 22:17:07 Link Size: Auto

I 22:17:07 Test Mode: No

I 22:17:07 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 22:17:07 Filling Buffer...

I 22:17:08 Writing LeadIn...

W 22:17:14 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:14 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 22:17:20 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:20 Retrying (2 of 20)...

W 22:17:26 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:26 Retrying (3 of 20)...

W 22:17:33 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:33 Retrying (4 of 20)...

W 22:17:39 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:39 Retrying (5 of 20)...

W 22:17:45 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:45 Retrying (6 of 20)...

W 22:17:51 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:51 Retrying (7 of 20)...

W 22:17:57 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:17:57 Retrying (8 of 20)...

W 22:18:03 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:03 Retrying (9 of 20)...

W 22:18:09 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:09 Retrying (10 of 20)...

W 22:18:15 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:15 Retrying (11 of 20)...

W 22:18:21 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:21 Retrying (12 of 20)...

W 22:18:27 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:27 Retrying (13 of 20)...

W 22:18:33 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:33 Retrying (14 of 20)...

W 22:18:39 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:39 Retrying (15 of 20)...

W 22:18:45 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:45 Retrying (16 of 20)...

W 22:18:51 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:51 Retrying (17 of 20)...

W 22:18:57 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:18:57 Retrying (18 of 20)...

W 22:19:03 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:19:03 Retrying (19 of 20)...

W 22:19:09 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

W 22:19:09 Retrying (20 of 20)...

W 22:19:16 Retry Failed - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

E 22:19:19 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Unknown (Write Error) (0x0C, 0x80)

I 22:19:19 Synchronising Cache...

I 22:19:20 Closing Track...

I 22:19:21 Finalising Disc...

E 22:19:22 Failed to Write Image!

E 22:19:22 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:02:14

I 22:19:22 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

EDIT: Here's the info from the imgburn main screen:

HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N 1.19 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,295,104

Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes

Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Edited by 2talll

that particular media supports write speeds up to 16x this is what my drive reports for the same ID

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.1A (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,295,104

Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes

Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

that your drive only supports 2.4x and 4x is a problem with the drives firmware and write strategy.What drive is it. and is the firmware up to date .You can see if you need a newer firmware by going to TOOLS ,DRIVE, CHECk FOR FIRMWARE UPDATE or by right clicking on the drive in the destination box of IMGburn

PS does this drive happen to be in a Dell computer if it is you might have to go to Dell for firmware .

Google your drive there seems to be a lot of people asking about it in particular the firmware or the firmware update

Here's the drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N 1.19 (ATA)

It's in an HP laptop. I just upgraded the firmware directly from HP when I was having trouble with the drive (something erased the ASPI layers) but the genius at HP failed to read that part of my email and said it was the firmware.

However, I have burned about a dozen dvd's since the firmware update and reinstalling the aspi layers.

I think I'm just going to return the dvds and see if it was just a bad batch. (Knowing my luck lately, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the one lucky enough to get two bad batches in my last three purchases.

You don?t need ASPI. Take my word for it. ASPI is old and redundant. Your problem may be a corrupt SPTI driver. Download the CloneDVD demo (which installs the ElbyCDIO driver) and change the interface used in the ImgBurn settings from SPTI to ElbyCDIO and see how you go. Grab CloneDVD from here:

http://www.elby.de/products/clone_dvd/index.html

Shamus,

If it's the SPTI- would that also cause the drive to not burn CD's as well? Someone on another message board said to try burning a CD- Tried twice with no luck. It gets a couple minutes into the process, when it starts writing the burner starts making clicking noises similar to when it's trying to read a scratched DVD, and then it says it cannot complete the CD writing process.

Also, anyway to fix the SPTI without CloneDVD? I used that program last summer so wouldn't I need to pay for it this time since I used the 30 day trial then?

CloneDVD is needed just to install the ElbyCDIO device driver.

Think of it this way. (I?ve just finished a 14 hour shift and I?ve had a beer or 2 so stay with me). :)

Think of burning a DVD like driving a car. You car needs to travel down certain roads to get where you want to go. Yes? Imagine SPTI is a road you need to use and it?s full of potholes, bumps or that it?s flooded (broken) etc.. What you need to do is find another road so you can get where you?re going. By installing the trial version of CloneDVD you provide another way for your drive to talk to the software using the ElbyCDIO driver. Just like having a different road you can drive your car on. Information sent to and from your drive is sent via a different driver. Like taking your car on a different road. If you install the trial version of CloneDVD - by default - you also install another ?road? that ImgBurn can use to talk to your drive. (I?m trying to make this simple so I hope this makes sense).

So....... install the trial version of CloneDVD (which will still only have the 30 day limit) but, most importantly, it will install another way for this software to talk to your drive.

Same problem with switching to ElbyCDIO driver. Even tired CloneDVD, same thing- it says writing stopped- media write error.

ANy other ideas?

ANyone know if the drive in an HP 5070us laptop is replaceable? Someone told me it's not.

Edited by 2talll

I just went out and bought a new batch of Verbatim DVD+Rs and tried burning a DVD but I've tried 5 different DVDs and I get the same errors. There MUST be something wrong with the burner since I had the exact same problem with an entire box of Fuji DVDs a couple months back. Is it even possible to have 2 ENTIRE 50 packs of DVDs from two seperate companies have the same problems?

Yes , if its the same dye used on both brands .Could be your writer doesnt have a firmware write strategy that can handle these discs/dye

have you tried any other discs off friends , just to eliminate the dye on the discs you have already used ?

ANyone know if the drive in an HP 5070us laptop is replaceable? Someone told me it's not.

most laptop drives are replaceable, BUT usually at a crazy price .

if your considering changing , it would work cheaper to buy an external writer ( providing you have USB2.0 or Firewire)

Shamus , whats a "Hoon" ? :o

I think what I'll do is take a quick trip to the local staples and buy a small package of DVDs and try, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll just be the media since I was just burning without problems Wednesday.

If not there's a computer shop on the way to Best Buy- I'll stop in and see hom replacing the internal drive is. I'd rather have an internal seeing as I already have a external hard drive, mouse and sometime and memory card reader in the USB 2.0 ports at a time. And since I do a lot of CD burning at school I don't exactly want to be carrying an external around everyday.

(That reminds me- the CD burner worked fine Thursday cause I have to burn pictures for a friend at work. Would a drive just DIE all of the sudden?)

I'll then take a look at BestBuy for an external burner that does both CDs and DVDs. Any suggestions?

Edited by 2talll

Just got the email from HP and the drive it replaceable, but the drive is $300 and then who knows how much to have it installed. Are they serious????

(That reminds me- the CD burner worked fine Thursday cause I have to burn pictures for a friend at work. Would a drive just DIE all of the sudden?)

I could fill a small room with the hardware that?s died on me over the last 20 years. From blown cpu?s (they smell disgusting when they melt) to dead HD?s and motherboards. Welcome to the wonderful world of computers. Great, innit? :lol: As Lightning_UK! suggested, a new drive is a good idea. They?re dirt cheap these days.

If you want an internal drive, grab a Pioneer. They?re a lot more friendly. That?s my opinion anyway.

Here's the drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N 1.19 (ATA)

the 4040 part of the drives description makes me believe its an LG drive .Check out this site www.videohelp.com it may help you make up your mind, the consensus was the drive is a piece of crap sorry. It appears that there are some hacked firmwares for it .When it comes to HP stick with their printers and leave everything else alone

Read on another thread about someone having trouble that they shoud try "crossflashing" their firmware with liteon firmware to fix the problem. He did it and it worked.

Would it work for my drive?

Now it gets weird-

I had an older CD I had a few pictures on so I put that it and tried using DeepBurn. I hit the wrong folder in My Documents, but anyway, it was able to burn the Word, Excel, and BMP images in that folder.

So I tried burning pictures, but got a HARDWARE ERROR: TRACK FOLLOWING ERROR. When I tried burning and ISO image onto DVD I got MEDIA ERROR: (12,128).

How could it burn files, but not ISOs and pictures?

Now it just got weirder- so I go get some Maxwell DVD's (I know they're not the greatest but all Staples has is cheap stuff) and the DVD burned with no problems- other than it only going at 1.2x rather than 2 or 2.4x like it normally does.

Haven't tried a CD yet, but now I have no idea what is going on. Is it possible that something could have happened to the DVDs and CDs at Best Buy to make them all not work? (Something like being rubbed on the security thing, or something??) Or is it possible that the Verbatim DVDs came from a defective batch and that Fuji CDs AND DVDs are just not compatible with my drive since the last batch of DVDs taht didn't wrok were Fuji and the CDs that don't work now are Fuji are as well.

Edited by 2talll

if your considering changing , it would work cheaper to buy an external writer ( providing you have USB2.0 or Firewire)

Shamus , whats a "Hoon" ? :o

I did just that after nothing but problems with my Laptop writer and haven't looked back since. My burns have been 37 for 0 (no coasters) with the exception of a couple not verifying. :)

@Shamus....that's a word i haven't heard in a very looooong time, in fact not since i was in Brisbane a more than a few years ago =))

it goes back to the drive and its firmware ,the firmware is a set of instructions that the drive uses and part of it is support for different types or brands of media, if the media is recognized by the drive you should have no problem if its not you might get an error .You might want to clean the laser for the drive they have a cd you insert that has a couple of soft brushes that will clean the lens

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.