Computer won't read game discs

I'm trying to make backup copies of my Wii games so I can play the copied discs and keep the originals in good shape. The problem is, my computer won't even read game discs! I have a laptop with Windows XP and a CD/DVD-RW drive. When I put a normal CD in the drive that I've just used to save files on, the part of the keyboard directly over the CD drive vibrates and I hear a slight noise--it feels and sounds exactly like a disc spinning at very high speed--and then the Autoplay starts loading the files. When I insert a Wii disc, either nothing happens at all, or it vibrates for a few seconds like the disc is only spinning a few times and then stops. Either way, there's no indication anywhere that there's a CD in the drive and if I click on the D: drive, there's nothing there but an empty screen. When I run ImgBurn, I get an error message saying "Device not ready (could not recover TOC)" and can't get any further.

Just out of curiosity, I tried a GameCube game and got the exact same response. I don't remember the exact speed of my CD drive, but it was fairly high for a laptop, and I have no trouble loading even memory-heavy games like SimGolf, so I don't think it's anything physically inadequate or wrong with my computer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.