Burning effectively stops with LG GH22NS50

smukherjee10

I see. Thanks a lot.

But I also have two SATA HDDs. Do I need to connect them using the card since it seems like a problem with my motherboard's bus? In that case I'll have to buy the 3114. Or is it OK to leave them as they are? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Edited by smukherjee10

As you said, I tried getting that model of PCI to SATA card. However, in India, there did not seem any shops which were selling the ones with Sil2512 or Sil3115 chipset. Only one model seemed to be available and was manufactured by Enter (http://www.entermultimedia.com/pci_satacard_2port.html). Having no choice, I bought it. It turned out to be Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card. When I first installed it, while booting it said:

"Detecting...... No Device found! BIOS is not installed."

Then it proceeded with normal booting. Next I installed latest drivers from the CD provided. After that it gave a new device called "Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor Device" which has no drivers for it. According to Seagate support (Maxtor & Seagate are one now), it'll disappear when external device is connected.

After shutting down the machine, connecting the drive to it, while booting, now it shows:

"Detecting...........................

Warning: The BIOS did not find proper hardware configuration. Please check system again!"

After that it simply won't proceed with boot. I had to disconnect the SATA cable to make the message go away and restore the previous "BIOS not installed" message. At least I can boot into Windows then.

I read somewhere just now that this card does not support optical drives at all. Is this true? Please reply ASAP as in that case I'll have to return the card. Ad if that is not the case, what's the fix for this? Thanks in advance.

I see. Thanks a lot.

Also that mix-up was a result of me typing carelessly lol.

BTW I am curious about one thing. I saw that 2 of my SATA ports on Motherboard were Red & the other 2 were black. Can you tell me the difference or a place where I can learn more about them?

Edited by smukherjee10

Sorry I have already checked there. But its very very sketchy. All that's written there (along with a diagram showing where the ports are located & the significance of the 7 pins, which are same for all the 4) is:

"Serial ATA Connectors (7 pin SATA1,SATA2,SATA3,SATA4):

These connectors are for the SATA signal cables for Serial ATA Hard disk drives."

Wait, for "Hard disk drives" Only? What does that mean? Does it mean that Optical Drives are not compatible or something? I don't understand. If only the whole manual was a bit more detailed.... Please help.

Edited by smukherjee10

• 2 months later...

Sorry if I am bumping this thread, but my question is related to this.

Actually I was thinking if replacing the SCSI drive with an ATA drive, as my LG ATA CD Writer has no problems writing CDs and the problem seems to lie in my motherboard not supporting SATA optical drives properly. Can this work? Is this worth a try?

Edited by smukherjee10

I know it would be a lot cheaper. Exchanging this one for an LG IDE costs me around 15$.

Even then, it is quite a hassle to buy online from eBay in India. Also there are no retailers here who keep this particular product. So I don't have much choice.

Nevertheless this will work, right?

Just got a brand new LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 2.00 (ATA) by exchanging it with the LG GH22NS50 SATA one for 15$.

And it works perfect. Apparently my motherboard ASUS P5RD1-VM supports RAID + SATA, which the former DVD writer does not like (I guess that's the reason LIGHTNING UK! told me to get the non-RAID card).

Also I apologize I have not said this earlier, but a million thanks to LIGHTNING UK! and others who have helped me. And more infinite number of thanks to LIGHTNING UK! for making such a great program (After all, Imgburn was the ONLY software which could write most, about 90% of the DVDs successfully using the previous drive and it helped me a lot.). Not only for that, it is THE best burning software available.

Also I have a question for LIGHTNING UK!. I would like to post the details of this error, how to resolve it, and everything I've learned from all this. This would help other users facing the same problem. The question is, should I do it in a separate post in this thread, or make a separate thread for this?

I'm not sure you really need to say anything else do you?

I mean, this thread already covers us saying that your SATA drive didn't like being on the RAID controller.

You were then given the option of buying a non RAID PCI card type thing - the Silicon Image card - and using the SATA drive one that... you didn't want to go that route.

The other option (which doesn't apply too much these days since PATA support was dropped from all Intel chipsets years ago and not everyone still makes drives with PATA interfaces anyway) is to get a PATA drive instead... which is what you ended up doing.

If you think you have more to add, just put it in this thread. Google is good at finding stuff so long as people know what they're looking for and know how to search properly!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.