COMPUTEX: Toshiba Claims Highest-Density Hard Drive

Shamus_McFartfinger

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125973,00.asp

Device is expected to be used in a new audio player designed to rival the iPod.

Steven Schwankert, IDG News Service

Monday, June 05, 2006

Toshiba today released a 2.5-inch, double-platter hard drive that it said features the highest density yet of any such component.

The disk uses perpendicular magnetic recording technology to hold 277.1 megabits per square millimeter, or 178.8 gigabits per square inch.

This density surpasses the current record, which Toshiba also holds, at 133 gigabits per square inch.

The drive itself is designed to hold 200GB.

Mass production of the disks will begin in August, the company said.

iPod Rival

The new technology may play a role in Toshiba's planned digital audio player to be developed in conjunction with Microsoft and Japan's NTT DoCoMo for the Japanese market.

Microsoft announced Friday it would work with Japanese partners to develop the device using a version of its Windows operating system, designed to take market share from Apple Computer's iPod.

The company did not provide a target release date for the product.

I think I must be the only person in the whole world without an Ipod or an mp3 player !!

Nope...me too. The kids have their own mp3 players, Mrs. Wheel has one that she got as a Mothers Day gift...and the Spinner still has his trustworthy 8 track with Quad Sound..... :blink::w00t::huh:

Nope...me too. The kids have their own mp3 players, Mrs. Wheel has one that she got as a Mothers Day gift...and the Spinner still has his trustworthy 8 track with Quad Sound..... :blink::w00t::huh:

I thought all those buggers were dead and buried! :P

Ah, memories, remember I was listning to the Bee Gees on one of those things going around Australia back in 1975, great sound for its time. :thumbup:

:P Just for a BRIEF while Shamus.......... until I sobered up........ :lol:

Too late now, mate. The credibility you've built up for yourself has been dashed by the image I have of you prancing around your lounge room wearing nought but 3 pounds of gold chain around your neck and a pair of undersized spandex trousers. Bopping along to the funky sounds of Saturday Night Fever whilst combing your chest hair and strangling your gonads with a pair of sequined tights just ain't normal.

I must now beat my head against the wall and listen to my favourite ABBA album in an effort to exorcise this demonic imagery.

must now beat my head against the wall and listen to my favourite ABBA album in an effort to exorcise this demonic imagery.

AHHHHH...now THERE was a group...I have all their 8 trax..... too bad they had intermarital troubles >_<

=))

The Bee Gees............. eeeekkkk Ken your dating yourself mate..... :&#39;( I was listening to them too...... :o:P

LOL!!! =)) =))

bee-gees.jpg

Oh my fuckin God shamus, where the hell did you dig this up from?

=))=))=))

must now beat my head against the wall and listen to my favourite ABBA album in an effort to exorcise this demonic imagery.

AHHHHH...now THERE was a group...I have all their 8 trax..... too bad they had intermarital troubles >_<

=))

I was stationed at RAF Croughton when they won the Euro Vision Song contest . Do they still have The Old Gray Whistle Test some great music on that show I never missed it :thumbup::thumbup: 2 thumbs up

I was stationed at RAF Croughton when they won the Euro Vision Song contest .

My club DropZone is only up the road for there at Hinton, around 18 months ago we had a trainee doing their AFF level 1. He opened his canopy at 5k and proceeded to visually locate the DZ, what he locked onto and then headed toward was RAF Croughton about 5/6 miles away as the crow flies. By all accounts he lined up and executed a perfect landing on the main runway only to be met by wailing sirens and fully armed, weapons drawn MP's.

He was stripped of his rig, spread eagled on the tarmac and handcuffed at gunpoint, then duly led away and questioned by the Military Police. 3 hours later when they were satisfied that he wasn't a threat to security was he allowed to contact the DZ, the CCI who was one step ahead of the off target lander dispatched a vehicle with the jumpers instructor on board to the base to help smooth things over. Needless to say he got back safely and still holds the club record for the longest off target landing and is still known affectionally as " Captain America " within the parachuting fraternity.......=))

The ipod is a brand of portable media players designed and marketed byapple computer. Devices in the iPod family provide a simpleuser interface designed around a central scroll wheel (with the exception of the ipod shuffle). The standard iPod model stores media on a built-inhard drive, while the smaller iPod shuffle and ipod nano use flash memory. Like most digital audio players, an iPod can serve as an external data storage device when connected to a computer.

An mp3 player is a small unit maybe the size of a flash drive that can hold upwards of 350 songs in mp3 format. The bigger the mp3 player gigs the more songs you can store on it. Usally comes with earbuds to listen with.

:drunk:

I was stationed at RAF Croughton when they won the Euro Vision Song contest .

My club DropZone is only up the road for there at Hinton, around 18 months ago we had a trainee doing their AFF level 1. He opened his canopy at 5k and proceeded to visually locate the DZ, what he locked onto and then headed toward was RAF Croughton about 5/6 miles away as the crow flies. By all accounts he lined up and executed a perfect landing on the main runway only to be met by wailing sirens and fully armed, weapons drawn MP's.

He was stripped of his rig, spread eagled on the tarmac and handcuffed at gunpoint, then duly led away and questioned by the Military Police. 3 hours later when they were satisfied that he wasn't a threat to security was he allowed to contact the DZ, the CCI who was one step ahead of the off target lander dispatched a vehicle with the jumpers instructor on board to the base to help smooth things over. Needless to say he got back safely and still holds the club record for the longest off target landing and is still known affectionally as " Captain America " within the parachuting fraternity.......=))

:lol: he's lucky he didn't land on an antenna out by the reciever site ,I spent two great years there getting loaded in Banbury ,well everywhere I guess and lived in a really old converted tavern in Long Crendon near Oxford still remember the address 21 High Street it was aptly named the local was only a few doors down :beer::drunk:

You know, getting back to The Bee Gees =)) back when there were 4 of them, they actually had some great tracks. When Andy, I think it was, went out on his own, the remaining Gees ;) took up disco and became a joke. Before that, though, they had things like Words, Tomorrow, I Can't See Nobody, and I Started A Joke which had a lot of depth and meaning to them. It's hard to imagine going from "'Til I finally died, which started the whole world living!" to "Stayin' alive! Stayin' alive!" :blush2:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.