Separate burning speed for DVD & CD

Moe

Could we have ability to set fixed (until we change) burning speed separately for dvd & cd?

I almost always burn at same speeds (I believe most people do) regardless of maximum I'm capable of.

Awesome program by the way!

A few enhancements & ImgBurn will be the only burning program needed on my pc's.

Moe

I know what you mean Moe but I don't think that would work too well in practice.

It's obviously simpler from my point of view to just add another drop down box, but that then clutters up the GUI a bit.

It also then brings in the possibilty of people accidently changing the wrong box for the media they're burning.

If I was to combine them into 1 box via code and display the right box depending on the inserted media, people are bound to change the value with the wrong media in the drive, eject the disc and insert the right one, only to find the speed they'd selected had vanished and been replaced by whatever they last selected for that media type. The speed for the other media would then also be wrong.

I hope you see where I'm going with this ;)

• 3 months later...
I know what you mean Moe but I don't think that would work too well in practice.

It's obviously simpler from my point of view to just add another drop down box, but that then clutters up the GUI a bit.

It also then brings in the possibilty of people accidently changing the wrong box for the media they're burning.

If I was to combine them into 1 box via code and display the right box depending on the inserted media, people are bound to change the value with the wrong media in the drive, eject the disc and insert the right one, only to find the speed they'd selected had vanished and been replaced by whatever they last selected for that media type. The speed for the other media would then also be wrong.

I hope you see where I'm going with this ;)

I was just coming to ask for this also. I think it would be easy to implement. Two boxes would be a bad idea in fact.

Internally there should be four speed variables, CD, DVD, CD-RW and DVD-RW. Note the type of media loaded and display the speed last used with that media type and prefix the speed with the media type. If no media is loaded you see whatever was last used. It would also note the type of file picked and would switch between CD and DVD based on it's size if there was no loaded media.

Take the incident that prompted me to post: I had been burning CD's at 24x. I finished, the next day I was burning DVD's. I forgot about the speed setting and tried to burn at 24x. Of course it cried foul and burned at the limit of the media, 8x.

What should have happened is that when it saw the 4gb .iso or the DVD+R blank it should have switched to the last speed I used on such media, 4x.

I was thinking on these lines too

What about instead of cluttering up GUI's and having extra confusing (to some people) extra tick/drop down boxes some sort of import system through like a (dos based example) .bat file ?

Ie if the files not there imgburn runs as per normal

if the file (MyDefaults.imgburnfil) has been made and edited by the user ie Burn speed for say TYG02 on a Pioneer A10XL or whatever then ImgBurn loads this as the default for that media ?

You could have defaults in the file for DVD, Cd and different media and speeds that you prefer :rolleyes:

just a thought :P

if the file (MyDefaults.imgburnfil) has been made and edited by the user ie Burn speed for say TYG02 on a Pioneer A10XL or whatever then ImgBurn loads this as the default for that media ?

This was thought of and discussed long before DVD Decrypter bit the dust. i.e. Having a config file in the program directory that could be changed (or copied for config backup purposes) instead of using reg_keys. After much sulking (quite a bit actually), what eventually convinced us that it was a bad idea and Lightning_UK was right was the fact that people have an irritating habit of playing with (or modifying things) they don't understand - particularly config files. To include a modifiable config file for ImgBurn is just asking for trouble.

Personally, if you feel the need to set different write rates with different media (I've never bothered to do it yet and I've burned hundreds of CDs and DVDs), your best option might be to use the command line to set different write speeds depending on your task.

eg..

imgburn /mode isowrite /start /src k:\ps2.mds /dest f: /speed 4x /deleteimage yes /close

imgburn /mode isowrite /start /src c:\stuff\cd.bin /dest e: /speed 32x

imgburn /mode isowrite /start /src l:\dvd.iso /dest f: /speed 12x /deleteimage yes

Save them as a .bat file somewhere (after reflecting the correct drive letters), and you're laughing.

As I said though, I've never bothered. With up-to-date firmware, a decent drive and quality media you can't go wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.