U.S Copyright law changing?

hajj_3

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-government-makes-jailbreaking-unlocking-and-ripping-dvds-legal

This means we would be able to remove copy protection from dvd's for non-commercial usage, therefore Dvd Decrypter would be legal if the law passes and macrovision can't sue you! Will you be adding the features dvd decrypter has into imgburn if the law passes? I'd love it very much :)

Edited by hajj_3

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-government-makes-jailbreaking-unlocking-and-ripping-dvds-legal

This means we would be able to remove copy protection from dvd's for non-commercial usage,

If by "we" you mean "film students, professors, and documentary film makers", then you're right.

Otherwise, no.

(It helps to read more then just the headline :) )

I don't live in the U.S.

I thought the reason you stopped dvd decrypter was because of macrovision's threat of lawsuits against you?

The law would allow certain people to strip the DRM, you could add a message saying if you are a documentary film-maker, professor etc then tick this tickbox to enable CSS removal.

I once thought about asking for some functions like IFO extraction, etc. from the other software. But, I never did because of the reasons already listed here in this thread and also that they don't belong in something called ImgBurn. Only functions related to burning images, like creation of cue sheets, would be in the software.

yeah i miss ifo extraction, thats the only reason i still have dvd decrypter installed, i use anydvd to remove protection but i use ifo extraction so i can rip movies from dvd's and encode them to x264 to store on my pc, would be good if that was enabled if anydvd or similar has removed the protection.

I'm bound by UK laws, not those of other countries.

:thumbup:

Jim44, let it lay where it is, it ain't gonna happen.

spinner

Huh? I was replying to hajj_3.

And, I support LUK!'s statement 100%.

I guess I'll go back to lurking.....

meh...no harm no foul.

Reading through the link it looks like a very badly written law to me - subject to too much interpretation. America's now gonna be full of film students or professors.

Jailbreaking Apple devices is now leagal but not allowed in the EULA. Strange. Without the suport of law how can the EULA be enforced?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.