ImgBurn ISO burned to DVD+R DL can't be read by player

Frankenstien

OK ... this Blu-Ray stuff is a relatively new foray for me so I've probably made some sort of obvious coaster-creating blunder, just not sure what exactly.

Back in DEC09, I started backing up Blu-Ray discs to WD MyBook Home 1GB eSATA HDDs, initially using AnyDVDHD 6603 and ImgBurn2500 to create ISO's.

It didn't take long to figure out that HDD storage space was going to be an issue, considering Blu-Ray burners and BD (& BD DL) writable media were (and still are) non-economical.

Lately, I've poked around looking for a way to compress my backed-up Blu-Ray ISO's to DVD+R DL media and decided to try BD Rebuilder 0.34.07 Beta.

What I've done is mount a given ISO with Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.0 and set BD Rebuilder to:

Encoder: 'x264 Encoder', Output Options: 'Target Size BD-9 (DVD-9)' & 'Write to ISO file (with ImgBurn)'

The BD-RB encoding/compression/ISO Read/create process took 13 1/2 hours on my HP a6400f PC running Vista HP 32-bit.

The ImgBurn2510 ISO Write to Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R DL (Made in Singapore) media took another 44 minutes.

The burned disc cannot be read in my (home entertainment) Pioneer Blu-ray Disc Player BDP-121.

I'll attach the ImgBurn2510 ISO Read/Write logs so that more experienced eyes can possibly pick out what may be wrong.

Another approach to utilizing the backed-up Blu-Ray titles would be to simply play the mounted ISO images back in s/w.

I have CyberLink PowerDVD 8 - it came bundled with a Lite-On iHOS104 BD-ROM drive, however, there is some sort of conflict with the HP a6400f's integrated Intel GMA 3100 graphics chipset driver that I have been unable to resolve as yet. I'll try installing PowerDVD 8 to a Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 -S03 laptop which uses an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 graphics adapter to see if that works, as far as Blu-Ray s/w playback is concerned.

Thanks, FFF

imgburn(25).log

ImgBurn(26).log

Also ask this in a forum that deals with BD Rebuilder: it could be that your Pioneer player needs the files in a certain specific format or something like that.

As for playing on the computer, have you tried VLC Media Player or similar players?

Sometimes players won't play from discs that look like 'DVD-ROM' discs.

So you may have to disable the automatic booktype stuff in ImgBurn and get it so your disc is left looking like a DVD+R DL disc.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but it *might* be.

mmalves ... thanks for your post ... re: BD Rebuilder forum, it's Doom9's Forum - my forum searches over there didn't yield any easily identifiably relevant info and I have to wait 5 days to post a new thread (new member policy). The non-readable disc has the same files/file structure as the mounted ISO image, it's just that the files are compressed - the technicalities of which I am not familiar with, yet, other than that the encoding is x264. I'm not familiar with VLC Media Player, so looked it up but have yet to d/l, install and test. I'm surprised something like SMPlayer doesn't support Blu-Ray. The PowerDVD 8 install on the Toshiba laptop went sideways after a protracted full re-install update to the base install and a failed 2nd (full re-install type) update d/l, so, I'm 0 for 2 with it. I contacted CyberLink for help with that, so, we'll see.

LUK ... thanks for your post and insight ... you may have something there vis-a-vis Booktype - in the AnyDVD HD 6.6.8.3 status window, the mounted image says 'Media is a Blu-Ray disc.' and the burned disc says 'Media is a DVD. / 'Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)'. Do you believe (or know?) that the BD Rebuilder invoked ImgBurn ISO create session would rely on the ImgBurn setting for Booktype? (info stored in ISO or MDS file?) Or would this be something to change prior to the ISO Write? And, is the relevant ImgBurn Booktype setting on the Settings, Write, Page 1 tab and labelled: Auto 'Change Book Type' (*)?

Thanks, FFF

Edited by Frankenstien

... bump and update ...

CyberLink came across with PowerDVD 9 Ultra (& an Update to it), which now plays BD media on the Toshiba laptop but is still failing with an 'Error code: 0012' (graphics driver non-support [or conflict]) when attempting to play BD media and a BSOD when attempting to access 'Configure PowerDVD settings' > Information (tab) > 'Querying hardware support...' on the HP a6400f Desktop PC. Well, some progress made on that front I guess and a further inquiry with CyberLink pending.

LUK, if you have time, I'd still be interested to know your thoughts on my last follow-up Q.'s

Thanks, FFF

Edited by Frankenstien

I expect BD Rebuilder just uses the command line to tell ImgBurn what to do... and there isn't one that disables the 'auto change book type' bit.

So if it's enabled when you load ImgBurn on its own, it'll be on when BD Rebuilder loads it.

Yes that's the setting you'd need to try disabling and hope your drive doesn't automatically change it to DVD-ROM anyway.

Like I said before though, this might not be an issue for your player in the first place.

OK LUK ... thanks ...

Since I'd hate to waste more DL media testing the DVD+R DL vs. DVD-ROM Booktype theory with my particular Blu-Ray player, I'll pursue the BD Rebuilder (Doom9 Forum) angle and get back to this thread if I can nail down the read/playability issue.

Thanks again, FFF

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.