cannot format medium - incompatible medium

plain

Hi All:

I have a Lite-on LH-20A1H DVDRW burner. I can burn iso`s which I have downloaded but when I ask ImgBurn to burn an iso it made or ask it to copy several folders to a DVD it is unable to do so. I get this error............

cannot format medium - incompatible medium

When I ask Nero to do it I get errors as well. When I ask Windows to do it I get a message telling me XP can`t read the disk and it is either corrupt or of a format unknown to XP. I`ve tried Imation DVD+R, Memorex DVD -RW, and Maxell DVD +RW, all to no avail. I`m going to purchase Verbatim tomorrow and try that but wanted to ask: Do you guys get the same results when the disks are not good enough? Burn iso but not copy folders or burn ImgBurn created iso? Very puzzling. I have worked on this all day, made sure DMA was enabled, uninstalled and installed controllers, enabled CD burning check mark in Windows etc. When I try to burn ImgBurn iso I get I/O errors on almost every sector. ????

Thanks for your perspectives. Maybe they will cut down on my time wasted trouble-shooting something I could not have fixed with the equipment at hand.

Plain

Thanks for your reply Lightning UK:

I tried again today so that I would have a log of what went on when ImgBurn became unhappy with my requests....

I checked out my media with the LiteOn disk checker and of course it says all is good. I`ve also tried different

speeds and asking ImgBurn to include long file names etc. It appears from the log ImgBurn can`t read sector 0.

So, since no one is preventing me from jumping to conclusions at the moment I would think my media is at fault.

I have also used a cleaning device (CD with brushes) on the burner so maybe that isn`t it. Anyway, it is kind of

you to reply and hopefully with you guys help I will learn something about how to copy folders to DVD.

Thanks, Plain

PS, I only included the part of the log after ImgBurn was ready to burn to disk. If you wish to see everything I will

clean up my personal information and send the whole thing. Thanks

Log090810offailedwriteoffolders.txt

Yeah I'd go for some better discs.

Have you tried upping the write speed? 4x might not be the best one for your current drive/firmware/media combo. Try 8x or 12x.

There's no difference between burning files or an iso, it uses the exact same code and the drive wouldn't know the difference (or care) anyway.

It's pure fluke if it works for one and not the other.

After trying different media I played a hunch and bought a new burner. That was the whole problem all along. I tried to update the firmware on the old one but it wouldn`t take so somewhere in the last 3 or 4 years I did something to toast it. Well, the new one works fine so I`m good. Just wanted to let ya`ll know the outcome. Thanks again for your help Lightning UK!.

plain

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.