Need a DVD DL or single layer, which is it?

djmasturbeat

okay so i can probably do something in vob blanker to get rid of 1 MB, but when trying to burn something, I get 2 contradictory messages for the same image:

imgburn7.png

imgburn6.png

like i said, i can probably remove a meg, but i am curious why the discrepancy, and whether it would be okay to just go ahead and hit okay for the single media w/o the bother of vobblanker or some similar program in the future.

fwiw, here are the 3 media types i use for DVD at most times (sometimes I use Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x speed, if available, these listed are 8x):

Disc ID: MCC-003-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Disc ID: MKM-003-00

Book Type: DVD+R DL

The first picture talks about -R/-RW media, not +R as you are trying with.

- media holds some extra MBs compared to + media on single layer discs.

Overburning with +R media is likely to fail as there normally are no more sectors to use than announced on the package.

Another option is to mount the image and do a new build for +R DL media so you get the layer break where you want it to be.

If you used another program to "shrink" it down in size, it sounds more as an issue with that program oversizing.

no i didn't do any shrinking but i guess i am just going to have to use vobblanker to do just that, since it is somewhere just under 1 MB too big for a single DVD+R -- which is a huge waste of a DL media. The original media is single layer -- but since it is factory pressed it can hold a bit more data from my understanding, so to backup to same i need to blank a bit.

thanks for the reply. i pretty much figured that i would be having to blank out a bit of unneded space, just found it curious

part of why it stumped me was that for some reason i was thinking (incorrectly) that DVD-R was the smaller of the 2 single density media... thanks for setting me straight on that misconception of mine.

But where i buy my disks, i don't think there are any Verbatim DVD-R, so it is a moot point for now anyhow, since i never use anything else other than Verbatim, since i started lurking in these forums a long time ago.

please close this thread if you wish

Edited by djmasturbeat

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.