Ask toolbar

isoman2kx

I registered simply to bring back up the issue of the Ask Toolbar option during installation for your program.

Lightning, you failed to answer this question properly the last time it was brought up. Your replies have been woefully inadequate on the subject and you seem surprisingly arrogant when any user brings it up. As if we're the bad guys insulting you with these questions.

It's incredibly irritating to see software developers sell out like this. Do you get a cut from Ask everytime you include them in the installer for your software? Why resort to this? You see how many threads people have started on this and everytime you dismiss it as something just optional and that we have no right to complain about it; we do have a right to complain about it. Try to rely on donations and your own income. It's not good practice to resort to tricks like having an option that says "I agree to the terms/conditions AND oh btw install Ask Toolbar"

Edited by isoman2kx

To clarify my point above, I meant to say how is your average computer user supposed to know that they don't have to check the I agree to these conditions/terms and install Ask Toolbar?

Your software is good, but it's not take it or leave it if you use deceptive practices like that.

Edited by isoman2kx

I don't like the ask toolbar either, but I don't care if LUK has it bundled in the setup since I can simply choose not to install it. It isn't compulsory to install it, so I really don't see what the issue is.

Besides what free program doesn't have such 'extra' items? Ever used Winamp? It's installer had the option to install 'links to free mp3s' and other 'associates', but notice the keyword 'option' to install, all you have to do is merely disable it if you don't want it installed.

Sorry but you're making a big deal out of nothing. If you really want the ask toolbar gone, consider 'donating' to the project.

To clarify my point above, I meant to say how is your average computer user supposed to know that they don't have to check the I agree to these conditions/terms and install Ask Toolbar?

How is it not obvious? Clearly I have the option not to install it.

post-35670-0-39901400-1289700438.png

post-35670-0-49647600-1289707208.png

Edited by Rincewind

I don't like the ask toolbar either, but I don't care if LUK has it bundled in the setup since I can simply choose not to install it. It isn't compulsory to install it, so I really don't see what the issue is.

Besides what free program doesn't have such 'extra' items? Ever used Winamp? It's installer had the option to install 'links to free mp3s' and other 'associates', but notice the keyword 'option' to install, all you have to do is merely disable it if you don't want it installed.

Sorry but you're making a big deal out of nothing. If you really want the ask toolbar gone, consider 'donating' to the project.

How is it not obvious? Clearly I have the option not to install it.

Do you see the nature of what it's come to though? I understand your points Rincewind and they are valid to a degree, but does it make much sense to uncheck the box that says "I agree to the license agreement" to your average user? It causes confusion and adds unnecessary ads. I've donated before but lightning UK has no removed them. It's certainly not a good start to encourage donations.

I don't use Winamp, so I can't testify to that.

Lightning UK. Respond.

Do you see the nature of what it's come to though? I understand your points Rincewind and they are valid to a degree, but does it make much sense to uncheck the box that says "I agree to the license agreement" to your average user? It causes confusion and adds unnecessary ads. I've donated before but lightning UK has no removed them. It's certainly not a good start to encourage donations.

I don't use Winamp, so I can't testify to that.

Lightning UK. Respond.

A demand to respond? Hmm... that's unlikely to win any popularity points. At any rate, in my capacity as a beta tester, professional forklift operator and amateur BBQ chef, I find myself uniquely qualified to respond to your query in a format that doesn't tax your mental faculties.

1. ImgBurn is freeware

2. To offset server costs, monies to host this service must come from somewhere

3. The offered toolbar is "somewhere"

4. If you've neither the brains nor the wit to read the "terms and conditions", you have but three (3) options available to you:

Option 4a: Accept and install the toolbar.

Option 4b: Decline and install Imgburn only.

Option 4c: Dig a hole and toss your computer into it. This option is for those who lack the mental acuity to manage something as complicated as a PC.

Now, given your obvious ability to read, your understanding that server costs must be paid for by someone and that you are unlikely to throw your computer into a ditch in the foreseeable future, why not cut Lightning_UK a bit of slack? Afterall, your use of this program has cost you nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

Shamus, glad to see you about mate...and still in rare form :thumbup:

Ah Shamus good to see you in great form :lol: ,gone for awhile but looks like alls well,browsing through looking upthe old crew good to see you also Spinner :thumbup: lots of catching up to do

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.