formatting problems

sazziei

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have another problem, when i go into nero toolkit/nero drive speed, on the drop down list of the available drives, my dvd drive is no longer there!!

its still there on the 'my computer' screen. also when go into nero toolkit/drive speed. it comes up with an error when i try to run that too.!!!

I think you may have to ditch the princo +RW's and get some Verbatim / Ricoh ones.

Even with the new firmware, your drive still doesn't like them that much (hence the failure during the erase).

EDIT:

Hang on, a minute ago you were doing DVD+RW's!

I 14:11:58 Operation Started!

I 14:11:58 Device: [1:1:0]DVDRW IDE1008 0159 (E:) (ATA)

I 14:11:58 Media Type: DVD-RW

Now your drive thinks they're DVD-RW (or you changed discs).

Either way, I can tell it doesn't like those much because you're missing extra info from the log in terms of supported write speeds and the disc manufacturer code.

its ok now thanks, got everything sorted, the final hurdle was that the burner wasnt recognising that the disc i inserted was a dvd+rw. it kept saying i had a dvd-rw. So i set about changing the book type via the burners' support website.

thanks anyway

Burning a movie size 4.35(4.681)gb on a DVD+RW:

This format thing is one of the reasons, among others, why I use the old DVDDecrypter more often.

Imgburn will format the disc first and there is nowhere in the settings to find how to deselect this feature. At least I can't.

Formatting reduces the available space on a disc for data and so a standard size movie(dvd) 4.35gb will not fit on this +RW.

Second I do not understand why a disc is to be formatted in order to burn a standard movie(dvd). I know that a DVD+RW can be edited but if there is no need for doing this, just burn by ImgBurn is a nice standard. Maybe the new ImgBurn version 2?

However the old DvdDecrypter just burns the ISO file with the full size 4.35gb movie on the disc without format and this is what Poster SAZZIEI is asking, IMHO.

Edited by wishfull

You have to format DVD+RW, there's no 2 ways about it.

Formatting may reduce the size of the disc when you're talking about hdds or anything else that allows the OS to access it directly, but not about DVD+RW.

DVD Dec was no different from ImgBurn in that it would still format a disc if it really needed to, but it would allow you to do direct overwrite on a disc where it's format status was in limbo. That's what ImgBurn wont do (yes, there is an option in v2 to get around that).

I already fully understood what the original poster was talking about and it's nothing to do with what you've just said. Their drive had/has problems with the media, nothing more.

I often burn a full DVD+RW for to take a quick look at the result of my humble work in real on a large screen.

DVD DEC never formats or aks to do a format when I burn a +RW. Only the warning that all info on disc will be overwritten, I suppose so.

I'm sure that the discs are not formatted in advance or before.

When you say: "DVD Dec was no different from ImgBurn in that it would still format a disc if it really needed to".

Meaning if the disc was not already formatted?

"You have to format DVD+RW, there's no 2 ways about it"

Never had this experience. I can, yes. But do not have to for an ISO movie(dvd) or other data burn. Why, only necessary for editing purposes.

People keep each other busy, don't they?

Gr,

You wouldn't experience it, you're the user, not the programmer.

Take it from me, DVD+RW has to be sent the 'format' command before a 'Write' command will be accepted.

You only have to look at the little info panel on the right and read the 'Formatted:' status bit.

ImgBurn does not accept 'Yes (Started)' as a valid response and will attempt a full format again - after which it will just read 'Yes'.

Once it just says 'Yes', ImgBurn WILL NOT ask you to format it again. You will then just see the 'Overwrite' prompt you're used to seeing in DVD Dec.

DVD Dec did not care about the 'Formatted:' line, so long as it didn't say 'No' (in which case the 'Write' command would fail).

Both DVD Dec and ImgBurn will format the media if it does say 'No'.

That only happens on brand spanking new media that you've just unwrapped from the case.

You wouldn't experience it, you're the user, not the programmer.

You've done a fine job as a developer of a prog like ImgBurn.

Yes, I'm a user.

So, for the user, what are these nonsense for a format about ?

Can't you just remove this info screen and tell the prog that it starts to burn? In general, this is what the user likes to happen.

Maybe V2?

Wishfull, As LUK stated a brand new DVDRW must be formatted before it can be written to. Wether or not the program you are using actually shows you this step or just does it, is that programs ( programmers choice ). I prefer to be informed whats going on in the burning proggie I'm using. At least then some novice or occassional users of said program will see why its taking a bit of time to initalize the burning stage of said program ( when program is formatting new DVDRW disc ) instead of thinking there is something wrong with the program or their methods, as a full format on a brand new disc may take some time, which a novice user may mistake as the " program hanging" :)

I do believe the majority of our users are comfortable and happy that this info screen is incorporated into our program. :thumbup:

Just my humble opinoin Wishful.................. For myself I'm glad that imgburn does this, as I believe its predecessor did also ( getting older my minds not what it used to be ) :lol:

I do believe the majority of our users are comfortable and happy that this info screen is incorporated into our program

I have to agree with kev. :) While your suggestion may appeal to new users not familiar with the original process of the program it's just that I also like to see as much info as I can about what a program is doing at all times. :thumbup:

Ref: spinningwheel - kevdriver

All very nice these remarks like: new users not familiar with the original process.... or the majority of users is comfortable and happy.....

I don't think that users like to know and see on their screen what a program is doing in real, or that every process asks for permission to execute something. They certainly do not want to be bothered by these annoying popup screens or msgs they don't understand.

These are not working conditions you would like in real life looking at a screen.

And the major part of the pc users don't care what is happening in their pc when they hit a key, newbie or pro!

I advice you to take a good look in the sub-menu Settings from IB and ask yourself how many people using this prog will understand the many possibilities you have here? Ten percent, to much?

Read the forum, top of iceberg.

Back to the format +RW.

I done a quick check and guess what?

Two new blank DVD+RW 4x 4.7gb, one with ImgBurn an one with DVDDec.

Surprise, the ImgBurn sample is demanding for a format and will not burn my ISO file without it and the DVDDec sample only informs me that all info on disc will be overwritten and after my OK it starts burning the ISO file.

Not so for ImgBurn, it really starts to format first and this is a long process for about 5 mins. A new +RW never takes so long for a format and I never saw this happen, only with ImgBurn. The format process for a DVD+RW is very different and sample: with Nero InCd it takes much less than a minute, as it should.

If I use a DVD+RW already written some data on it, the same result with both progs.

Always burning an ISO file(dvd-movie).

Conclusion:

Use ImgBurn and you can have some fresh air, coffee or whatever for an extra 5 mins till the burning is finished.

Question:

What is this all about?

Greet...,

Geez this topic is getting boring now.

DVD Decrypter would not (unless it's a bug) say it could overwrite data on a BRAND NEW DVD+RW disc. It's impossible. So either you're not being 100% truthful or the disc was not brand new.

Read my previous post (again?) containing all info about the various 'Formatted' status values that can be displayed in the info panel on the right in both ImgBurn and DVD Dec.

You don't need to explain to me how my program(s) work(s), I know it all already and understand why it does what it does, when it does it. Your 'quick check' means nothing as you clearly don't fully understand the in's and out's of this stuff.

ImgBurn is not really aimed at newbie people, it's aimed at people like me - because basically, I build it to how I want it to work.

Like many other power users, I like to know what's going on in apps and as such I make no attempt to hide anything and I provide as much info as I can, without going to the extremes. Messages for erasing discs, formatting etc. are also seen in your newbie friendly programs like Nero.

Ok, so I've never actually put a brand new (unformatted) DVD+RW into a drive and burnt with Nero, so I can't be sure it issues a formatting question/message but I've seen it issue one for erasing a disc.

If those kinds of prompts annoy you in ImgBurn, simply disable them in the settings.

I don't think that users like to know and see on their screen what a program is doing in real, or that every process asks for permission to execute something. They certainly do not want to be bothered by these annoying popup screens or msgs they don't understand.

These are not working conditions you would like in real life looking at a screen.

And the major part of the pc users don't care what is happening in their pc when they hit a key, newbie or pro!

May I then suggest that you go a write a burning program that you think users like and need?

Clearly, in your eyes, ImgBurn just ain't good enough. So, go away and some time we'll come and critique your product and let you know how it stacks up. OK?

In the meantime, please do not make out you are God and know what "people" want. That sickens me, quite frankly. All I know about what "people" want is that hundreds of thousands of people have decided (for themselves, strangely enough) that they like ImgBurn - that is a verifiable fact from the downloads. I truly don't like being told what's good for me.

Regards

Well said blu :thumbup:

I have to say that I admire the patience of Lightning UK! in dealing with this, as blu rightly points out thousands of people have d/l programs written by LUK! and some have made suggestions as to improvements or additions that could be made. It appears to me that LUK! considers these and those that are of genuine merit are implemented.

This is not one of those - I like to be able to see what IB is doing and I take comfort in the knowledge that the programs author ensures that all his programs do their tasks to the best of the ability......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.