Can I build disc image with keeping timestamp precision in milliseconds?

yllLiBe

Hello.

I'm an ImgBurn user from Japan.

Thanks for the great software.

Or is there any reason why ImgBurn truncate timestamp in the second time scale?

I confirmed following.

1. NTFS has 100 nanosecond precision of timestamp. ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724290%28VS.85%29.aspx )
  2. I can get milliseconds of timestamp by FindFirstFile() function and FileTimeToSystemTime() function.
  3. At Cygwin Bash shell, `ls --full-time' displays nanoseconds of timestamp (ofcourse it doesn't have full resolution.)
  4. timestamp structure of UDF 1.02 has Microseconds field. ( http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/udf102.pdf )
  5. Viewing a disc image file built by ImgBurn with binary editor, Centiseconds, HundredsofMicroseconds and Microseconds field seem to be zero.

I tried to burn a disc which contains image files and thumbnail files created by certain image viewer.

But image files in the disc has a little different timestamp from original files, so the image viewer recreates thumbnails.

This is the reason I want to store timestamp in milliseconds.

Sorry for my poor English.

Sincerely yours.

No.

Or is there any reason why ImgBurn truncate timestamp in the second time scale?

I was probably too lazy to work out the conversion and didn't think milliseconds were really that big of a deal.

From what I can figure out now, the following *should* work... (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

TS->Centiseconds = SystemTime.wMilliseconds / 10;
TS->HundredsofMicroseconds = (SystemTime.wMilliseconds - (TS->Centiseconds * 10)) * 10;
TS->Microseconds = 0;

So assuming wMilliseconds is something like 551, that makes...

Centiseconds = 551 / 10

= 55

HundredsofMicroseconds = (551 - (55 * 10)) * 10

= (551 - 550) * 10

= 1 * 10

= 10

Microsecond will always be 0 because you can't invent accuracy that doesn't exist in the first place.

Thanks for your reply.

I guessed timestamp truncation may be because of some reasons for UDF specification, but now I understand it was not.

From what I can figure out now, the following *should* work... (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

(snip)

It seems to be correct, but let me show the way to get a little more precisive timestamp.

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   SYSTEMTIME SystemTime;
   FILETIME CreationTime, LastAccessTime, LastWriteTime;
   int Centiseconds;
   ULARGE_INTEGER uli;
   HANDLE h = CreateFile(L"foo", 0, 0, NULL, CREATE_ALWAYS, 0, NULL);
   GetFileTime(h, &CreationTime, &LastAccessTime, &LastWriteTime);

FileTimeToSystemTime(&LastWriteTime, &SystemTime);
   printf("A: Centiseconds: %d\n", (Centiseconds = SystemTime.wMilliseconds / 10));
   printf("A: HundredsofMicroseconds: %d\n", (SystemTime.wMilliseconds - (Centiseconds * 10)) * 10);
   printf("A: Microseconds: %d\n", 0);

uli.LowPart = LastWriteTime.dwLowDateTime;
   uli.HighPart = LastWriteTime.dwHighDateTime;
   printf("B: Centiseconds: %d\n", (uli.QuadPart / 100000) % 100);
   printf("B: HundredsofMicroseconds: %d\n", (uli.QuadPart / 1000) % 100);
   printf("B: Microseconds: %d\n", (uli.QuadPart / 10) % 100);

CloseHandle(h);
   return 0;
}

The result of above code is here.

<command prompt>
C:\Data\Make\Programs\test_nanosecond\Debug>test_nanosecond.exe
A: Centiseconds: 71
A: HundredsofMicroseconds: 80
A: Microseconds: 0
B: Centiseconds: 71
B: HundredsofMicroseconds: 87
B: Microseconds: 50

<cygwin bash shell>
$ ls --full-time foo
-rwx------+ 1 yllLiBe なし(*) 0 2011-01-05 23:17:55.718750000 +0900 foo

(*): means `no group' in English.

Case A is the way you've written above.

It uses FileTimeToSystemTime() to get a value of milliseconds.

Case B is the way to use the FILETIME structure directly which has 100-nanosecond intervals. [MSDN]

This can get a little more precisive value of timestamp.

FYI, timestamp tick looks like 0.000125 sec (= 125 microseconds) in my environment actually.

I can see the time such as HH:MM:SS.mmm125000 and HH:MM:SS.mmm750000 by `ls --full-time', but I can't see HH:MM:SS.mmm100000 and HH:MM:SS.mmm200000.

Could you consider to change timestamp conversion more precise in the next update?

Sincerely yours.

I have to run my times through a few functions before recording them in the UDF file system descriptors.

i.e. I take the file time (CreationTime/LastWriteTime/LastAccessTime as a FILETIME) and run it through FileTimeToLocalFileTime followed by FileTimeToSystemTime to end up with a SYSTEMTIME which is then used to fill out the descriptors.

None of that is going to cause a problem is it if I then start going back to the original FILETIME for the more precise values?

Anyway, I've now allowed for the extra precision (where possible) using your bit of code. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.