I've been tricked

Rincewind

Well I just bought a 50 disc spindle of Verbatim DVD+R 4x-16x rated media, and 20 disc spindle of Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x from Best Buy (went there and bought them)...

:angry:

I already got a nasty surprise, the +R SL discs are:

I 10:28:51 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

:swear:

I'm already afraid now to even open the 20pk of DVD+R DL... :(

If assuming I ordered on best buy's site, there could have been a chance that I would have ended up with CMC-MAG discs anyhow... At this point there is no guarantee that if I order online from someone else, that I wouldn't get stuck with CMC-MAG discs with Verbatim printed on the disc...

I have yet to see what the DL discs are, but I am already under the impression that even Verbatim now is beginning to choose a third party for their own discs.

After all, TDK stopped making their own discs, so what are the chances that even the next TDK BD-R disc will have TDK-xxx as the disc id anyhow? I won't be surprised the next time someone buys a TDK BD-R it will say Ritek, since all TDK-DVD media is Ritek :angry:

Isn't outsourcing great?

Ok well I went ahead and opened the 20pk of DLs, and well these are actually fine, go figure:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 2.00 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

State of Last Session: Empty

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 4,173,824

Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes

Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)

Next Writable Address: 0

Supported Write Speeds: 4x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:

L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,086,912

Changeable: Yes

Physical Format Information (ADIP - L0):

Disc ID: MKM-001-00

Book Type: DVD+R DL

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Physical Format Information (ADIP - L1):

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L0):

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L1):

Performance (Write Speed):

Descriptor 1...

-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00

-> EL: 4173823 (0x003FAFFF)

-> RS: 16,620 KB/s (12x) - WS: 5,540 KB/s (4x)

So at least my DLs are good... *sigh* But I have a bad feeling now that even Verbatim SLs are no longer trustworthy, and if thats the case how long is it until we see CMC-MAG on their DLs? :(

And actually the only other 50pk of Verbatim SLs were -R, unless maybe I should have gone with -R instead for SL?

One more thing, if I am not mistaken, aren't Verbatim SLs (+ and -) supposed to be MCC-xx? Since usually MKM is for DL, or is MKM also supposed or can be for SLs too?

Edited by Rincewind

Did you buy them from a Best Buy store or Best Buy online? If you bought from a store, that might explain the reason why. It seems media destined for brick and mortar stores is more likely to use CMC or Ritek to reduce cost and increase profit.

Verbatim also uses CMC for their CD-R's, as I found out earlier in the summer. I ordered them online, though, go figure. Thankfully, the reseller from Amazon.com took them back as "defective." As long as they took them back, that's all I cared about! :lol:

I bought it from the physical store, meaning I went there myself and got both the SL and DLs.

I don't know if it matters that much if I bought it from their online store instead, since I am very sure that eventually Verbatim may just sink completely and even replace their DLs with CMC-MAG, it is only a matter of time (yea, I sound like a conspiracy nut though huh?).

After all the pattern is there, first their CD-R now are CMC, now their +R SLs are CMC (I don't know about their -Rs), so how long will it be until Verbatim DVD+R DLs are CMC-MAG? :(

-edit

By the way, these SL discs AREN'T the DataLife Plus discs (since I hear those are crap), these are the supposed regular kind of +R SLs.

-edit2

It seems media destined for brick and mortar stores is more likely to use CMC or Ritek to reduce cost and increase profit.

I wish then they could have at least gone with Ritek instead of CMC-MAG.

Edited by Rincewind

I don't consider it a conspiracy theory because I've seen it happen.

Optodisc used to make a very good quality product then, out of the clear blue, switched to CMC. I wasn't aware of CMC at the time though but came across a post that mentioned it so I checked. Sure enough, that was the problem with my discs not completing burns. But, not before I'd already been tricked into buying another 100 cake stack and replacing my Panasonic standalone DVD recorder. :angry:

Well I just burned two of the Verbatim SL discs, and all went well, successful burn and verify, chances are I might not have any issues with the SLs and yea my set top players can read whatever SL discs I throw at them (CMC, Ritek). No hiccups, skips or anything but I know DL is a different matter due to the way the discs are. My set top reads Memorex (CMC-MAG) +R DLs just fine, but this time around it doesn't like the Ritek S0-644 (TDK +R DL). No question at all about +R DL Verbatims, they work. So oddly enough CMC-MAG +R DL (Memorex) seems to be OK with this player. Also this was before I heard of CMC either, and mistakenly assumed that Memorex was still in fact Memorex.

I suppose also that for SLs it is a different matter since I actually never had a bad SL disc (CMC, Ritek).

It is strange though, since BD media is a different matter. All the logs from people on this board that burn BD media have the disc ID from the actual brand, TDK, SONY, MAXELL, VERBATIM. Though it won't be long until Ritek and CMC take over for that?

After all since TDK stopped making media themselves, what are the chances that the next BD-R 'branded as TDK', will still have the Dye/disc ID as TDK?

I can remember when Memorex used to make a quality product. 11 years ago, I bought some of their CD-RW's which still read to this very day because they weren't CMC products. Also, Memorex Ultra 24x CD-RW's they make now are a quality product because they're MCC product. And, I don't know how it is now, but, Memorex DVD+R used to be made without CMC dye in it, so, it was a decent product at one time.

Blah, already threw away the packaging it is just the cake box, but now that you do mention it, in the end I think I may have got the 'life series' anyways, and I guess thats the only thing now that brick and mortar stores want to carry, instead of the better kind.. :swear:

6208640.big.jpg

:doh:

But as seen through the imgburn output, my DLs are MKM.... Oh well then in the end it is my own fault since I did not look more closely at the packaging. :doh::blush:

It also sucks though because the discs themselves do not have the life series printed on them, they just look like normal Verbatim +R discs but the packaging obviously does, I just apparently failed to catch it.

I suppose this is how the proper package is supposed to look like?

3150v0x.jpg

:doh:

-edit

This is how the 20pk of +R DL looked like though:

VEDVDPRDB20S.JPG

Ah well, I have only myself to blame now... :blush:

Edited by Rincewind

CMC rears its ugly head again.I was going through storage and found my supply of mcc verbs also found a spindle of Ritek GO4's. Stuff I burned ages ago on the Go4's still play fine at least the couple of discs I threw in the dvd player did,I was amazed ,they must be 10 years old. I need a new computer to burn again this laptop is only good for surfing and playing solitaire :lol:

JVC sell DVD+R X16, made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan (YUDEN000 T03)

If you switch to DVD-R X16, JVC sell(TYG03), made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan. They come in regular or "Archival" - scratch proof

JVC also do some good CD's also made by Taiyo Yuden.

I used to use Verbatim DVD-R when they were Taiyo and coded TYG03, once they change to MCC004, I just looked for other brands that were coded TYG03.

I see...

I noticed in your FAQ's that you prefer +R to using -R, I always thought that -R were supposed to be more compatible with standalone players. Not a trick question, I know you know the workings of DVD's and wanted to gain some of your knowledge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.