Write Speed = MAX means what?

Rau

Hi

A bit of a novice question here I fear, but couldn't spot an answer in Guides or FAQ.

What is the "MAX" in the write speed settings? Is it the Maximum the drive is capable of, or something else?

I set it to MAX and noticed that the burn speed is actually 4x, whereas I note my media (Verbatim DVD+R DL) says speed is 2.4x. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks

Max can apply to both the media speed supported as well as your drive speed. If you have an older burner and the max you can burn a single layer is 8x, then you obviously can't go faster than 8x, even though said media supports speeds up to 16x. I hope that makes some sense :)

As far as your DL media is concerned, your burner cannot burn DL media any slower than 4x and so it is automatically sped up to that speed(4x), but there is nothing to worry about that.

Edited by Rincewind

As far as your DL media is concerned, your burner cannot burn DL media any slower than 4x and so it is automatically sped up to that speed(4x), but there is nothing to worry about that.

I would say it can't burn faster than 4x. It's still possible a lower write rate is supported.

Look in the disc info panel in the right side when you have inserted a disc and are in write mode. The info there will tell you the possible/supported speeds.

I would say it can't burn faster than 4x. It's still possible a lower write rate is supported.

Look in the disc info panel in the right side when you have inserted a disc and are in write mode. The info there will tell you the possible/supported speeds.

OK, when I insert a blank disc and select Write Mode, the info on righthand side of imgburn includes the line:

Supported Write Speeds: 4x

So I suppose that means that my drive can only write at that single speed? [i tried a burn setting the speed to 2.4x and it burned at 4x].

Am I likely to strike reliability problems using Verbatim DVD+R DL which specify a speed of 2.4x??

thanks

Some modern burners can't burn lower than 4x. So the only way to know is to use the burned disc.

If you have a Lite-On burner you can do a quality scan on the burned disc to know for fact how good the burn was.

Other than that, the verify option should at least tell you that it can be read.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.