DL Device Buffer Problem

CrashedAgain

Shit, I just noticed something!

Not only does your graph show there's no device buffer line, but there's also no CPU activity for the first layer.

There's actually a bug (or that's what I'm calling it) in DVDInfoPro where it doesn't seem to plot the buffer level if there's no CPU data.

Any chance you could post up the IBG file that goes with the graph data screenshot you posted earlier?

If you didn't export it manually (i.e. you did 'display graph data...'), it may still be in your temp folder - called ImgBurn.ibg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's weird, BusHound specifically states it WILL run on Windows x64 - unless with all these weird naming schemes that's not the same as XP64.

Your IBG does indeed show the buffer always on 0.00 until the layerbreak sectors.

I've reported (again) the problem with cpu % usage not being displayed in the graph when the buffer is at 0 and vice versa to the dvdinfopro people.

Hopefully they'll sort it.

Without bushound working, we're stuck.

Don't have a spare partition you could stick normal XP on do you?!

Had a route around in microsoft support and managed to get Bus Hound installed.

Did a burn a found that only got a read buffer cmd right at the start, must have hit scan several hundred times but never saw a read buffer during 1st, 2nd layer or change when buffer filled. Did get one right at start though and noticed something wierd, normally the buffer fills to 100% second layer but this tim eit only filled to 96% then appeared to get stuck, usually it goes up and down as teh nec adjusts the speed. then at the end it juet went straight to 0 normally it goes down in steps. Could have something to do with Bus Hound??

As normal 1st layer was good but 2nd was worst ive ever seen. Have inclujded all logs, etc in the zip.

Hope theres something useful.

Dont know if thsi adds anything but tried another burn with dvddecrypter and the the device buffer didn't fill during the 1st layer as with imgburn, but interestingly (or perhaps not i dont know) it didnt then fill for the 2nd layer but stayed empty.

Results.zip

Edited by CrashedAgain

only capturing 16 commands in a go, I did say it would be hard to get it to see a 'read buffer capacity' command being sent! The device buffer level is only checked every so often so don't expect to see 1 per every 'write' command or anything like that. As I said before, once the device buffer thread is running, it runs until the burn finishes. There's no way it could just capture data during the 2nd layer.... so as you know layer 2 works ok (buffer wise), the command MUST be being sent during the 1st layer too.

As as side note, it seems to cutting off some of the extra data I need when you save it.

You may need to increase the 'max record' length to something higher - incase it defaults to 8 ?

16 should be enough (can't remember if the demo lets you do that or not).

Try dragging out (resizing) the 'data' column too because it's doing some weird things with word wrapping that makes it hard to read!

Just burnt a couple of SL .nrg images 1 with nero 1 with ImgBurn. Both burnt fine but ImgBurn didnt fill device buffer this time, but nero did though never went over 97%. Coul dthe problem be in teh way the programs are trying to read th ebuffer info from the drive?

• 5 months later...

Hate to beat a dead horse and revive an old thread, but I'm curious if you ever found a solution.

I'm running XP x64 and having a similar issue. Device buffer in ImgBurn or DVDDecrypter stays at 0%.

At one time I had XP x32 installed on another partition so I could test from both versions, and problem was definitely limited to x64.

I figured I had just foobared something, so I ignored it for a while, and only burned from x32. I've now recently reloaded my system from scratch. After installing XP x64 I did a test burn and it worked fine, so I thought I was in the clear. I then went about my business and loaded all my software up and problem is back, and now I don't have a 32-bit OS to burn from.

Funny thing is, every once and a while the device buffer will turn back on half way through a burn. Regardless, I now seem to get a lot more coasters.

If some one has any idea's I'd love to hear it. Like the previous poster, I'm using a NVidia nforce 4 based mobo.

Thanks.

JC

OK,

I really appreciate you taking a look. I'm trying to not have to reinstall Win XP 32-bit. Seems I'm not the first person to experience this. As noted before, this has always worked fine in 32-bit windows. Worked at first in 64-bit windows (base install), but not now !@#$?

See attached. I've included a screenshot as well, just to show the Device Buffer is pegged at 0%.

Other information that may or may not be useful.

Windows XP 64-bit SP1

LG GSA-4163 DVD burner w/ A106 firmware

MSI K8NGM2-FID MOBO (nVidia 430/6150 chipset)

nForce 8.26 drivers

I reloaded WinXP a few weeks ago. After reinstalling windows, and loading the base drivers (chipset, video, audio) I did a test burn to see if my problem was fixed. Burnt a disk no problem...

This is what I've reloaded before noticing the problem was back

iTunes 7.0.2.16 (and related QuickTime, etc.)

64-bit GEAR DVD/CD engine (required to get iTunes to burn from 64-bit)

Nero 7 Ultra (w/Scout, NMBgmonitor, NMIndexStoreSvr removed)

Symantec Antivirus 10 64-bit

Thanks again.....

JC

ImgBurn.log

screenshot.bmp

From the log it appears that the burn was succesfull is that right ? :unsure: I see what you mean from the screenshot tho - did the burn playback ok in your players ? Also if you are getting coasters now you might want to enable the verify option in ImgBurn then at least you will know straight away if there any problems.

I am out of my depth with 64bit - hopefully the boss can take a look later.

Regards

Add a new DWORD type registry entry to HKCU\Software\ImgBurn called 'OVERRIDE_DeviceBufferWithLogging'. Set it with a value of 1.

Then press F8 before the burn starts - i.e. before you press the 'start' button.

Save the log once it's finished and attach that in your next post.

NOTE: I can't remember if that option is only in this next version of ImgBurn (v2.2.0.0) but it's worth a try anyway!

Add a new DWORD type registry entry to HKCU\Software\ImgBurn called 'OVERRIDE_DeviceBufferWithLogging'. Set it with a value of 1.

Then press F8 before the burn starts - i.e. before you press the 'start' button.

Save the log once it's finished and attach that in your next post.

NOTE: I can't remember if that option is only in this next version of ImgBurn (v2.2.0.0) but it's worth a try anyway!

Tried the reg setting, and F8. Didn't seem to do much.

Anyway here is the log from the next burn.

Just an observation I've made. Every once and a while the device buffer will kick on, and I notice there is a corresponding drop in the Image Burn buffer for a second. So I think the device buffer is actually not working and it's not just a display issue.

On a side note, I tried uninstalling the GEAR filter drive to see if that helped. No go.

Thanks again,

JC

ImgBurn.log

The log shows you didn't infact press F8 (or at least not when ImgBurn was the active application).

If you had, it would say 'I/O Debug Mode Enabled!' in the log - and it doesn't.

Give it another go ;)

I'll give it another go tonight.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but this problem isn't limited to ImgBurn. Same thing happens in DVD Decrypter and Nero. I thought it was important to note that.

I'm pretty sure I must have a driver or something that XP x64 doesn't like. But it's beyond me why the only symptom is an intermittent problem with the Device Buffer in my burner.

Thanks,

JC

I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but this problem isn't limited to ImgBurn. Same thing happens in DVD Decrypter and Nero. I thought it was important to note that.

Yup, that's cool.

This additional logging will just show us if the command is ever being sent to the drive, and then what return values we're getting back.

It will help to explain why you're getting the problems you're getting.

Here we go....

Buffer command submitted at 12:32.

I 12:32:38 [0:0:0]HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B A106 (G:) (ATA)

I 12:32:38 CDB: 5C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 00

I 12:32:38 CDB Interpretation: Read Buffer Capacity

I 12:37:14 BUFFER: 00 0A 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 01 18 00

Finally got a response at 12:37 - just as the burn had finished.

It's either a threads propblem or a critical sections problem - as both come into play with the device buffer code.

If you're saying it DID work when you first reinstalled XP64, do it again and this time test the machine properly as you add each piece of software that *could* mess it up.

Wow thanks.

I appreciate your help in tracking down this issue.

I was trying to save myself the trouble of reloading my PC, so on a whim I tried loading VSO's 64-bit Patin Couffin driver. Two burns later and no problems. Not enough to be sure the problem is finally gone, but so far so good.

Maybe this info could help the original poster as well. Problem seemed similar in nature.

Thanks a lot for all you help,

JS

Sorry, are you saying you loaded the driver from scratch or were updating one?

I'm sure adding a driver shouldn't fix these things!

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I was originally using Microsoft SPTI as the interface for ImgBurn. When I saw that VSO had a 64 bit Patin Couffin driver, I installed it and switch ImgBurn to use that driver as the interface. I thought maybe something I installed hosed the SPTI driver.

My following two test burns worked flawlessly. This may very well be a coincidence. I'll switch back and forth between the two drivers to confirm.

post-3670-1168376030_thumb.jpg

post-3670-1168376039_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.