Verification fails

Salami

Hi all & Huh :'(

This weird :blink:

I try to post my problem description including the imgburn log, and then I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora) Server at forum.imgburn.com Port 80

But when I type in this text I am allowed to post it?

Is the forum filtering some stuff I accidentally posted and which I am not aware of?

:teehee:

Edited by Salami

you might have some words / combination of letters in your post that the server won't allow for. Sorry but that's out of my control.

Wow you are fast :lol:

I'll try adding it as a plain text file then?

This was my main text:

Hi all,

I'm having some problems burning an iso created with dvddecrypter (latest version). Igmburn also is at the latest version. I'm using Verbatim DL +R on a Philips DVDR1660, patched to the latest firmware (P1.5). The burning seems to be going ok according to the log, but the verification doesn't. Consequently, I also can't read the DVD (XP says "insert valid disk").

Before using Verbatim I used Imation DVDs, but this went wrong at burn itself, not at the verification. So it seems I'm one step further now; the burn went right. But the verification didn't. I have no clue what the error message: Failed to read Sector 0 - Logical Block Address out of Range

means, so I thought I'd post my troubles here.

I'm appreciating help very much ;-)

Thanks in advance & bye,

Mike

Edited by Salami

According to CDFreaks you can cross flash your drive to a BenQ 1650. Since your firmware is the newest you might want to try that...unless anyone else has a better idea. ;)

Thank you, Spinningweel, for trying to help me out :thumbup:

But: what does "cross flashing" mean :wacko:

Is that simply using the BenQ firmware to flash this drive, or is it something else? Is it absolutely safe to do this? (Could you perhaps give me the link to the concerning thread :w00t: )

Would Lightning perhaps be willing to explain what the error message means exactly? (I take it he defined it :teehee: )

Hmm weird, the log would seam to suggest that it basically hasn't burnt anything! DVDInfoPro confirms that by still listing all that free space.

Not sure where your MDS came from either but it's broken as the layerbreak position it contains is not valid.

Hmm weird, the log would seam to suggest that it basically hasn't burnt anything! DVDInfoPro confirms that by still listing all that free space.

Not sure where your MDS came from either but it's broken as the layerbreak position it contains is not valid.

Hi Lightning,

Thanks for getting back to me :)

I've used a certain program called dvddecrypter. Maybe you've heard of it :ninja:

Just kidding :w00t:

Well, at least that would explain why I can't even access the disk at all after having "burned" it.

I could open and extract the ISO without any problems (using winrar; that eats about anything :D ). I can try to create a new ISO, but how do I know if it's ok then? I've tried to run imgburn in test mode, but although I customized imgburn for that (choosing BenQ as the drive and imgburn returning that the setting was changed succesfully), when I try to do it the program returns the message that testmode is not possible and that it will be an actual burn. I don't want to spoil the costly DVDs if I can prevent it, so is there a way to check the ISO and MDS are ok?

Thanks for your help :)

PS Somewhere else it is suggested to use CloneCD, and not dvddecrypter & imgburn because the latter wouldn't be capable of handling my copy attempt; would you happen to agree with that (probably a stupid question since you're the author of these two programs :blush: )

Edited by Salami

The layerbreak position being wrong wouldn't stop it burning

It looks like you have a drive/firmware/media issue here.

Unless your drive works just like a benq and can perform test writes on DVD + (plus) format media, it shouldn't be able to burn... but not burn (if you get what I mean).

Certainly straight from a system reboot the unique 'test mode on plus format media' feature of BenQ drives should not be active and it should actually burn the media.

To test an mds/iso, just mount the mds in daemon tools.

EDIT: ImgBurn can't 'READ' anything, so in that sense, yes it's not capable of handling a copy attempt.

Of course that has nothing to do with burning though!

It looks like you have a drive/firmware/media issue here.

:( The drive is brand new, I've flashed the firmware from 1.3 to 1.5 without any errors, I've switched from Imation to Verbatim, and the drive did burn a single layer +R succesfully (same way, dvddecrypter ripped the disk and burned it. I've switched to imgburn because dvddecrypter couldn't write the dual layer successfully). Would you then still think it's a drive/media/firmware issue?

it shouldn't be able to burn... but not burn (if you get what I mean).

:blink: No, I don't :(

To test an mds/iso, just mount the mds in daemon tools.

I forgot to mention I tried that also and that also went fine.

EDIT: ImgBurn can't 'READ' anything, so in that sense, yes it's not capable of handling a copy attempt.

Of course that has nothing to do with burning though!

:blink: I don't understand what you are saying :(

What would you suggest for me to be next step?

Thanks in advance :)

PS As a matter of fact I forgot to say what I'm trying to burn; maybe this is relevant. I have a Pioneer DVD navigation system in one of my cars and I just bought the newest navigation DVD (270 Euros). When that would damage I would need to buy a new one for the full retail price. As the laws in my country allow me to make a backup copy for personal use (which is not considered a copyright infringement) this is what I am now trying to do. The single layer disk I burned succesfully is also a navigation DVD, but it's from the built in navigation system in my wife's car. I actually bought the Philips burner to be able to do this and skip future large replacement costs (Pioneer tricked me into this one time already).

Edited by Salami

What I mean is that you're burning to DVD+R DL and the burn looks like it's going ok and actually happening, but then nothing gets written to the disc.

Hence it's burning but not burning.

DVD - (minus) media supports a thing called 'Test Mode' where the drive can actually perform that function for real. It will look like it's burning but the drive has specifically been told not to turn the laser up to full power and burn the media.

DVD + (plus) media does not support the 'Test Mode' function.

BenQ drives have a unique feature whereby they've developed their own version of Test Mode that does work on DVD+ media.

It pretty much looks like your drive just can't burn to that double layer media. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps the drive is faulty? Perhaps you have a bad batch of media?

so the original disc is ptp?

Hi Cornholio7,

Thanks for replying. What do you mean with ptp? If you mean P2P, like in filesharing network, the answer is no.

It is an original disk I bought directly from Pioneer, and want to backup before it gets damaged and Pioneer charges me the full price (270 EUR = 300 US$). Like said, I created an ISO and MDS of this disk with dvddecrypter, and want to burn that one with imgburn.

Like said, in my country, Belgium, laws explicitly state it is completely legal to duplicate a disk you originally bought yourself for your own private use; so I'm not violating any laws.

If you mean something else with ptp, I have no clue :(

Edited by Salami

Thank you very much for replying, Lightning :)

It is all clear to me now :ph34r:

It pretty much looks like your drive just can't burn to that double layer media. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps the drive is faulty? Perhaps you have a bad batch of media?

That leaves me with only one question then before I remove it from the comp and go back to the store; is it possible that this drive can burn single layer perfectly but does not burn dual layer? Is that technically possible?

Thanks again for your help :buba:

:)

What do you mean with ptp?

hi

i mean Parallel Track Path. i seem to remember a thread in a lost forum about navigation discs and the problem then was the original disc was ptp , dual layer+r media is otp, Opposite Track Path.

i cant remember the outcome of this , i was just trying to find out if the original was ptp :)

I can't really say for sure if single layer could work fine but DL not. I don't pretend to know exactly how drives work on the inside, nor how their firmwares work!

First of all, I'd find someone else (probably over at cdfreaks) with the same drive you have and see if they can burn DL ok.

Then perhaps buy some more media from a different source (Another few Verbatim discs but might be an idea, but I'd also get something else just to test with).

Of course if it's not a problem to just return the drive for another one, you might aswell try that!

If you can, try your drive in another pc too.

What do you mean with ptp?

hi

i mean Parallel Track Path. i seem to remember a thread in a lost forum about navigation discs and the problem then was the original disc was ptp , dual layer+r media is otp, Opposite Track Path.

i cant remember the outcome of this , i was just trying to find out if the original was ptp :)

That's the thread I remember too mate - I am 99% certain that in the end we discovered that the disc was PTP and thus not able to be backed up.

hi

i mean Parallel Track Path. i seem to remember a thread in a lost forum about navigation discs and the problem then was the original disc was ptp , dual layer+r media is otp, Opposite Track Path. i cant remember the outcome of this , i was just trying to find out if the original was ptp :)

Hi Cornholio7,

Thanks for the explanation. I think this disk *can* be backed up, since I have been offered illegal disks of this version. I didn't buy those, but a friend of mine bought one and reported it worked.

First of all, I'd find someone else (probably over at cdfreaks) with the same drive you have and see if they can burn DL ok.

Thank you for the suggestion: I will do that :)

(It was this thread btw that got me started in the first place: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=137886)

Then perhaps buy some more media from a different source (Another few Verbatim discs but might be an idea, but I'd also get something else just to test with).

Ya. I already tried the Imations, they also didn't work. Problem is, over here the disks can't be bought per 1 piece; you need to buy a box of 5 (imation) or 10 (Verbatim). It gets expensive :(

If you can, try your drive in another pc too.

I will try that as well.

Of course if it's not a problem to just return the drive for another one, you might aswell try that!

I will try that at if all else fails.

I'm starting to very seriously dislike all this dual layer stuff; on reading on other boards as well, it's easy to see this is by fat mature technology as single layer is :angry:

We consumers appear to be the prototypers (which makes me wonder right now: is Dual Layer a Microsoft product ? :lol: )

:(

Edited by Salami

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.