Purpose of .mds file

geohei

Hi.

Basic question ...

When I create an image of a DVD, I get an .iso and a .mds file (as per configuration).

Now ... when writing back this .iso to a DVD, I can either (1.) select the .iso file (then the .mds is not used) or (2.) the .mds file (where both .iso and .mds is used).

What's the difference of the finally burned DVD between choosing the .iso file (1.) or the .mds file (2.)?

In other words ... what does the .mds file change to the burn result?

Thanks,

Hi.

Basic question ...

When I create an image of a DVD, I get an .iso and a .mds file (as per configuration).

Now ... when writing back this .iso to a DVD, I can either (1.) select the .iso file (then the .mds is not used) or (2.) the .mds file (where both .iso and .mds is used).

What's the difference of the finally burned DVD between choosing the .iso file (1.) or the .mds file (2.)?

In other words ... what does the .mds file change to the burn result?

Thanks,

The .mds (Media Descriptor) file contains info like where the layerbreak is on your DVD. ImgBurn reads the .mds file and burns your disk accordingly. This means seamless playback on your DVD player without pausing/stuttering when it goes from layer 1 to layer 2. (Obviously, dual layer DVDs have 2 layers).

The .mds (Media Descriptor) file contains info like where the layerbreak is on your DVD. ImgBurn reads the .mds file and burns your disk accordingly. This means seamless playback on your DVD player without pausing/stuttering when it goes from layer 1 to layer 2. (Obviously, dual layer DVDs have 2 layers).

Is the layer break the only reason for a .mds?

4314 Bytes (in my sample read/write) is a bit much for a layer break definition.

Thanks,

Edited by geohei

Is the layer break the only reason for a .mds?

Pretty much, yes.

4314 Bytes (in my sample read/write) is a bit much for a layer break definition.

If that's what it is then that's what it is. I'm not a programmer. I'm a forklift driver. :) Lightning_UK! can most most likely expand on why it's 4k in size if he feels the need to.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.