Gun Control

spinningwheel

with half a brain and some really common items ie car antenna ,oldstyle bottle/can opener, tape and rubberbands and a block of wood you can make a gun ,or is it preferable to do the lock in the sock a rock, machete, baseball bat,tree branch and a million other things .If someone is out to really hurt you can you stop them when they dont care what happens to themselves (you can read suicide bombers here ) theres no way short of killing that person to protect yourself
I really don't want to debate this topic but, to take a different stance I offer that a number of the killings (such as drive-by shootings) would not happen if it were not for guns. There are some people that will not take a chance on coming up to someone to either fight, stab etc. them. But they will shoot them from a distance. I'm not saying that a majority of those killed by guns would still be alive if there were no guns but I believe, from what I have read in newspapers and seen on the news, that a good number of those people would be.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone can chart the homicide rate in the US per capita over the years (very long term). I bet it has increased markedly as guns became more and more available to people, who, in fact, didn't have half a brain.

Regards

Someone can chart the homicide rate in the US per capita over the years (very long term). I bet it has increased markedly as guns became more and more available to people, who, in fact, didn't have half a brain.

Regards

I'm sure it has. That's the reason I'm for some sort of gun control.

Christ...and all I did was post an email I received from a right winger friend of mine..... :'(

Or.....maybe......I wanted to stir the nest to see what happened..... ;)

Just for the record; I'm a firm believer that the Second Ammendment was put in place to prevent the Federal, State or Local Governments from UNRESONABLY attempting to control the ownership of firearms by PRIVATE citizens in this country...sorry MJ. England dates back damn near to the beginning of civilization, Australia came to be what it is today partly because of what the English used it for, America also became what she is 200+ years ago partly because of England and Europe influences in general. We're not perfect, hell, we're not even in the right a lot of times, but we are what we are...and some of that has to be directly attributal to the fact that there are so many firearms in this country. We have the Constitutional law and the guarantee of a means to protect ourselves and our beliefs. The fact that a minescule minority of illegal gun users make the statistical charts frightening does not give the government, or any other group, the right to ban or overly control ownership.

<2nd Ammendment right(s) rant over>

seeing as how Americas freedon was acheived using the gun its no wonder the right to bear arms was made an amendment. I don't think any country in the world that became free became that way because the occupying force just decided to go home it was always through armed struggle always will be

@polo - India?

And 230 years have transpired since the force that was necessary to wrest your country from the poms was exerted. You now have a system which can - and does - replace its government easily. This was not true before independence, where you were simply a colony.

Regards

How about the right to bare arms? And belly buttons? And tits?

Regards

how about the right to arm bears

would that work ? cause after someone has used the "right to bear arms" , how will the bear be able to hold an arm ? :lol: or did you mean sew arms onto bears :whistling:

Just for the record; I'm a firm believer that the Second Ammendment was put in place to prevent the Federal, State or Local Governments from UNRESONABLY attempting to control the ownership of firearms by PRIVATE citizens in this country...sorry MJ. England dates back damn near to the beginning of civilization, Australia came to be what it is today partly because of what the English used it for, America also became what she is 200+ years ago partly because of England and Europe influences in general. We're not perfect, hell, we're not even in the right a lot of times, but we are what we are...and some of that has to be directly attributal to the fact that there are so many firearms in this country. We have the Constitutional law and the guarantee of a means to protect ourselves and our beliefs. The fact that a minescule minority of illegal gun users make the statistical charts frightening does not give the government, or any other group, the right to ban or overly control ownership.

I fully agree spinner, it's the generalisation that pisses me right off, I mean fuck, there must thousands of firearm owners in Australia, but because a handfull of idiots decide to do the wrong thing, we all get labelled idiots, or at least put in the same catagory.

I have NEVER conciderd my firearms as a mean of self defence, the thought never enters my head, however, I do enjoy getting the odd rabbit for the pot, and or putting the odd animal out of suffering as was the case a couple of days ago where a kangaroo got caught in one of my fences and broke it's leg.

Most legitimate firearm owners are decent law abiding citizens that have a passion for owning firearms, this could vary from a collecter, to a target shooter to a hunter, so I don't understand why we have to give it up simply because some nutcase went bananas.

@spinner

a double trailer set up behind 1 semi trailer/tractor truck , roadtrain style. but of a fooker to park in walmart for the weekly shopping trip though

bdoublewc5.png lengths are for Australian rules

the kind of vehicle i have to use when i go on the pull for a couple of these delightfull nimble ladies after a night on the town . do i have to post the picture again ?? :lol: , you know, this one

abu20musab20alzarqawiuk3.jpg

roadtrain style

Thanks volvo. We have double bottoms here-simply a tractor with 2 trailers with a max of 80 ft. But that roadtrain thing is mind boggling as 65% of Interstate ( Freeway, Expressway, usually a 2,3 or 4 lane divided highway ) accidents are caused by singles or doubles who only comprise 45% of all road traffic. Hense why they hate the enforcement aimed at them. ;)

Heston was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1998, and it went into remission the next year following a course of radiation treatment. In August 2002, Heston publicly announced that he was diagnosed as suffering from symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.[1] In July 2003, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award, from President George W. Bush at the White House. In March 2005, various newspapers reported that family and friends of Heston were apparently shocked by the rapid progression of his illness, and that he is sometimes unable to get out of bed. In August 2005, a rumor circulated that Heston had been hospitalized with pneumonia at a Los Angeles hospital, but this was never confirmed by the family. In April 2006, various news sources reported that Heston's illness is at an advanced stage and his family are worried he may not survive the year.

and re the NRA:

In the 1980s, however, Heston began to support more conservative and libertarian positions on such issues as affirmative action and gun rights. He has campaigned for Republican candidates and Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.

180px-Colddead-fp.jpg magnify-clip.pngHeston giving his well-known speech, when responding to those in favor of gun control, he proclaimed they would have to "pry it from my cold, dead hands".He is an honorary life member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), and was its president and spokesman from 1998 until his resignation in 2003. As NRA president he is perhaps best known, while raising an antique Sharps Rifle over his head at the 2000 NRA convention, for saying that presidential candidate Al Gore would take away his Second Amendment rights "from my cold, dead hands". (In announcing his resignation in 2003, he would again raise a rifle over his head, this time repeating only the famous five words of his 2000 speech.) Heston has been harshly criticized by advocates of gun control. Michael Moore interviewed Heston in his home in the 2002 documentary film Bowling for Columbine asking questions of him regarding NRA meeting being held in Denver, Colorado in April 1999, shortly after the Columbine high school massacre in nearby Littleton and the very publicized shooting and death of 6-year-old Kayla Rolland in her first grade classroom near Flint, Michigan, Moore's home town. This scene in the movie is famous for Michael Moore presenting it in a way that implies that Charlton Heston, and indeed, the NRA are racist (Heston's comments more likely were meant to mean that racism, not the presence of minorities, was the cause of increasing levels of violence during the latter half of the 20th Century). [citation needed] Many of the festivities and activities of the convention in Denver were cancelled; an annual meeting was still held in compliance with NRA bylaws, as well as the applicable federal and New York state laws for a corporation such as the NRA, [2], but Heston still gave a controversial speech despite the heightened sensitivity of the Denver and Littleton communities

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.