False Virus Warning

kevdriver

Just a note to all members downloading V2 Of Imgburn. The warning of a PECompact Virus in Imgburn is FALSE.

PECompact is simply a compresion program used to compress larger programs to make them easier to download from indivisual sites. Imgburn contains NO VIRUS what-so-ever. Download Imgburn as usual.

Some anti virus scanners will pick up PECompact as a virus. IT IS NOT. Download V2 and enjoy............... :thumbup:

Footnote: This problem now has been corrected with returning to an earlier version of the PE compression program

OK, but how to tell the AV app (namely Kaspersky AV over here) to leave alone ImgBurn.exe? No matter if I select Skip or Discard it is blocked again next time I run it. So right now I'm not able to start ImgBurn at all. :angry:

EDIT: I managed to add ImgBurn.exe as an object to the "exclusion list", so it works fine now.

BTW PE Builder has anything to do with PECompact? Because Kaspersky AV itself utilizes this application to create a Rescue Disk...

Edited by erdoke

erdoke, as LUK said, this is the problem with some virus scanners. All you can do is notify the company and hopefully they will put out an update. I downloaded V2 with AVG free running and had no problems. Like any thing else, its always a catchup game to keep ones programs up to date.

Sorry not to be of more help, but your probabley not the only member with this annoying problem............ :/:(

Ok, try downloading it again from the ImgBurn mirror.

I've reverted to an older version of PECompact. (Be sure to get one direct from the server and not a cached one! - i.e. check the 2 setup files are different)

Your AV software might not moan about that one.

I think we're replying to posts at the same time here but just to make things clear, I've recompressed the ImgBurn.exe with an older version of PECompact so that one might work - especially if 1.3.0.0 loaded ok as I'm using the exact same version of PECompact again now.

Unfortunately (?) I can't find any configuration options for this "Exclusion List" in AV. With Program Files\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe added to this list, I'm not able to test the difference.

ImgBurn.exe v. 1.3.0.0 did not produce this kind of behavior with Kaspersky AV, so I agree it should be OK.

EDIT: Oh, stupid me, I only have to install ImgBurn to another directory... :blush: Back in a minute.

Edited by erdoke

just a note

i beta tested with kaspersky security suite 5 and got no complaints from kasp AV .

it DID tell me the .exe file had changed , and wanted toi know if it was OK to allow it to access the net to check for updates. other than that i had NO PROBLEMS with IB and Kasp AV

EDIT

just downlaoded the file from the ImgBurn server off the IB web site ( so i ahve the same version as everyone else), did a scan with Kaspersky security suite 6

kaspscanej4.png

all was ok, and heres a screen shot of kaspersky checking the .exe file on first run after install . this is to allow or disallow the pog from checking for updates of itself

kaspupdaterqa2.png

Strange. I have KAV Personal Pro 5 installed and I asked a friend to test with Kaspersky Internet Security 6. Both complained about ImgBurn.exe. Can't remember other false virus warnings at all, though this version was installed on my machine about a year ago.

Here is my screenshot:

ImgBurrnExe_Virus.png

Yeah, more and more false positives are being reported because the antivirus vendors are becoming more and more fucks. :lol: They don't exchange information back and forth because there is no standardization. And, there is no standardization because each company wants the lion's share of the AV pie. Thus, they all work together in relative vacuums, which means, in the end, its the users who are inconvenienced.

erdoke

all is ok now though ?

there is an upgrade from kasp 5 to 6 on there site

Yes I know, my license will expire in a couple of weeks anyway. I will try Security Suite 6 before buying.

Everything is OK with the new setup.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.