More info on "unable to set layer break position"

Gonzo

I recently bought 100 DVD-R DL discs and every time I burn one, I get the "unable to set layer break position". I have seen on this forum people say definitely "you cannot set a layer break position" and "get only DVD+R DL discs" yet I know that I can play back a movie I burn on -R DL discs.

Questions, some of them existential:

a) What is the purpose of selling DVD-R DL discs if they cannot be used to burn double-layer movies? And more importantly, what is the purpose of -R DL blank discs at all?

B) Seeing as the last post I saw on this was sometime in 2008, is this addressed in a recent patch? I have 2.5.2.0.

Thanks

a) just like there's DVD-R and DVD+R, there's DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL, they're competing formats with some different characteristics: DVD-R DL has slightly less sectors (i.e. less space) available and it has the layerbreak at a fixed position, where with DVD+R DL you can set the layerbreak to your liking as long as L1 isn't larger than L0.

B) there's no way to change the layerbreak on DVD-R DL media simply because the standard doesn't allow it. And your version of ImgBurn is old.

ImgBurn knows all of the above mentioned limitations and it'll take that into account when you're building a DVD-Video disc, so you don't need to worry too much about it. It's also worth noting that DVD-R DL is an inferior standard, and as such, it didn't get many attention from burner manufacturers nor DVD readers, so you might run into some trouble with it in the future.

Make sure you 'Build' your images with ImgBurn.

Don't burn an existing DL DVD Video image (ISO) unless it has been build for burning onto DVD-R DL with everything lined up nicely with the -R DL fixed layer break position.

The fact you're seeing that message at all means that's probably not the case :)

The old "inferior standard" ploy. You don't know what the answer is.

I have the first Pioneer DVD burner which burns only -R discs so I know all about -R and +R and from what I read about them, there is no difference in the playback. It's another way to try to confuse the buyer like HD DVD and Blu Ray. Modern burners burn on both. The truth is, the error "cannot set layer break position" is bogus. There must be 20 posts on here about it and Imgburn should remove the error or change the wording to be less draconian.

It works, it's fine, life goes on.

a) just like there's DVD-R and DVD+R, there's DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL, they're competing formats with some different characteristics: DVD-R DL has slightly less sectors (i.e. less space) available and it has the layerbreak at a fixed position, where with DVD+R DL you can set the layerbreak to your liking as long as L1 isn't larger than L0.

B) there's no way to change the layerbreak on DVD-R DL media simply because the standard doesn't allow it. And your version of ImgBurn is old.

ImgBurn knows all of the above mentioned limitations and it'll take that into account when you're building a DVD-Video disc, so you don't need to worry too much about it. It's also worth noting that DVD-R DL is an inferior standard, and as such, it didn't get many attention from burner manufacturers nor DVD readers, so you might run into some trouble with it in the future.

The old "inferior standard" ploy. You don't know what the answer is.

Sounds a bit combative response no? I venture to guess that even LUK would agree about why +R DL would be preferred over -R DL, after all he wrote the program and I venture to guess has more experience in dealing with optical media.

I have the first Pioneer DVD burner which burns only -R discs so I know all about -R and +R and from what I read about them, there is no difference in the playback. It's another way to try to confuse the buyer like HD DVD and Blu Ray. Modern burners burn on both.

+R and -R DL is not the same, neither are +R and -R single layers. Just because you can playback both standards, doesn't mean that there are not subtle differences in how each is burned. The "it plays fine" argument is ignoring the underlying differences. Also I don't find anything confusing about HD DVD and Bluray, those are two different formats, albeit that use the same blue laser beam, however in different wavelengths.

Also if you claimed to have read up on these formats, you would know that DVD + and - came about because there was a split in agreeing on a standard, not necessarily on purpose to 'confuse the consumer'. Also, there is no such + or - format in HD-DVD or bluray.

The truth is, the error "cannot set layer break position" is bogus

Really? I would guarantee that any other program that you burn a -R DL and have it set an arbitrary layer break position will give you some kind of hint that it is not possible. Imgburn is designed to tell the user what is happening 'verbatim' compared to other programs that choose to hide most of the details.

But, since you perhaps fancy yourself an expert, please do elaborate how is the 'error' a 'bogus' one?

Edited by Rincewind

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.