Question about Pioneer DVR-219BK

Adapter

Hi!

Well I hope that you will all forgive me for joining this forum solely because I need some advice about replace the Pioneer DVR-116D which just died after a long and productive life.

I have had several Pioneer DVR-1xx drives and they have all given me exemplary service. I would like to simply buy another such drive but the only Pioneer drive which I can locate for sale, at a reasonable price, is the DVR-219BK. I would far prefer a PATA drive as I have no more free SATA ports but if necessary I will buy an add-on card for more SATA ports.

I can not find any reviews of the DVR-219BK, and the user reviews seems to be very mixed, to say the least - although the problems are more about build quality than burn quality.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the DVR-219BK? Or perhaps someone would like to recommend a good burner with good compatibility characteristics? (As I said, I would prefer a PATA drive but I understand that that makes me a Luddite, and I am prepared to get a SATA drive.)

Thanks in advance!

Pioneer stopped making their own DVD drives after the 117/217 series, now they're rebranded QSI models and have a Mediatek chipset - same as the new LiteOn 'B' models.

Unlike the LiteOn models though, I understand the Pioneer can't do disc quality scans in CDSpeed / Opti Drive Control / DVDInfoPro.

The MyCE forums probably have some threads on the 219, take a look over there.

Hi again!

Thank you for the advice of going to the MyCE forums. I found a few threads that enabled me to make what is, more or less, an informed choice. For anyone interested, I opted for a Sony Optiarc AD-7260. Although, to be honest, it is not as though it had features that were far beyond any other available burner. I bought it because it seemed to be a good drive, because there do not seem to be any drives that are better than it, because it supported all the modes which I use, and it was (and is) both easy to find and inexpensive. (Although I would always be willing to pay whatever it would cost to be able to reliably back up my data.)

Thank you again!

A.

but if necessary I will buy an add-on card for more SATA ports.

Just make sure you buy one that is playing nice with burners. Not all do that.

Ah-ha! Now that is something that I did not know!

Would you care to make any suggestions, either about cards that are good, or cards that are best avoided?

Thank you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.