Burning DVD-DL

armagedon

I just bought "Batman Begins" this morning and like to make a backup copy "kidproof"'. I use "dVd dECRYPTOR" (last version) to transfer the film to disk and DVD Shrink with Nero (latest) to burn it on a DVD+DL disk (That's my first dual-layer). Everything went fine. The problem that it play well on PCs but not so well on my table Panasonic DVD player (recent). It's recognised by the Panasonic which play the previews and the menu but will not play the movie.

I saw that IMGBurn has a new version. But before reburning (DL are expensive) i like to have an idea where the problem lies. Is it because of the +R format that the Panasonic does not officially support or new DVD copy protection ?

My burner is an LG GSA4160B. Do i need "bit setting" of some sort.

TX

i would not trust my d/l's to nero.

if you choose the .mds file , change the booktype (bitsetting) to -ROM and use verbatim discs and burn with imgburn you should have a working disc.

the burner you have, probably will not remember the booktype set ,after a re-boot

Edited by cornholio7

i would not trust my d/l's to nero.

if you choose the .mds file , change the booktype (bitsetting) to -ROM and use verbatim discs and burn with imgburn you should have a working disc.

the burner you have, probably will not remember the booktype set ,after a re-boot

ok, i use ImgTool (0.91.6) to create an ISO image (splitted 1GB files Fat32). It refuse to decypher the DVD (errors) but works with the DVD Decrypter files created previously.

Now i tried to change the bitsetting of my LG DVD burner in IMGBurn and it says it failed. Maybe it's not supported. The DL is a Fujifilm recognised as a Ricoh booktype=DVD-ROM by IMGBurn.

so i'm not sure if a want to blast another DL.

Edited by armagedon

Here is an extract from the Mt. Fuji Command Manual for Multimedia Devices - Version 6.

4.17.4 Recording mode for DVD-R Dual Layer media

DVD-R Dual Layer media makes use of sequential recording as well as Single Layer discs. DVD-R Dual Layer media supports three kind of recording modes. They are Disc-at-Once (DAO) recording, Incremental recording, and Layer Jump recording. Once a recording mode is determined, the recording mode shall not be changed afterwards.

4.17.4.1 DAO recording

DAO recording is supported by DVD-R Dual Layer media by using Format 1 RMD. Lead-in through Lead-out is recorded in one recording action. The Middle Area on L0 and L1 may be recorded after Lead-out is written. The Layer Jump Address is fixed location and is not changeable.

When DAO recording is used, all unrecorded user Data Area shall be recorded. When the amount of user data to be recorded is less than the capacity of L0, the Shifted Middle Area may be used as an exceptional case.

As corny said above - if your spending the cash on DL discs don't buy anything other than Verbatim DL's - they are the only reliable ones out there - even Ritek's don't have a good reputation.....

ok guys, i finally manage to get a perfect copy using ImgBurn and the Fuji +DL. I had to set the DVD-ROM bit.

The Fuji were on special at a canadian store (Future Shop) $10 Cdn(x3). Now the Memorex are on special too. I'll see if they work fine too.

Tx

ok guys, i finally manage to get a perfect copy using ImgBurn and the Fuji +DL. I had to set the DVD-ROM bit.

The Fuji were on special at a canadian store (Future Shop) $10 Cdn(x3). Now the Memorex are on special too. I'll see if they work fine too.

Tx

They won't. =))

When we were testing the PgcEdit burn function, we came ot the exact same conclusion about -R DLs. They don't have a fixed # of sectors or something. We concluded that -Rs were just a troublesome format. Stick to +Rs and set the booktype to DVD_ROM.

Regards

Tx

They won't. =))

We shall see next month (Nov.1). My next project (+DL) is Star Wars:Revenge of the Syths.

I plan to try also Imgtool Burn which bypass ISO files creation :)

Edited by armagedon

Are you allergic to Verbatim DVD+R DL's ? :lol: To me its easier to use a disc that has proven to be reliable in tests by members here rather than pioneering with different brands......

Your choice though - good luck !

it's not that. I normally don't bother with DL. Dvd Shrink does a marvelous job with compression to a normal SL. Like i said, those were on special price. If Verbatim ever does, i'll grab them. But i'm not spending $8(cdn) a pop for one disk. :wacko:

I have had success with Ritek D01 dye. Every one so far has burned fine and played in most of my players. It seems my Sony NS585 doesn't like any DL media whereas, my older Sony NS900 is fine with them.

I am going to try Traxdata next which uses Ricoh dye. Verbatims are still expensive at ?4 each.

I have had success with Ritek D01 dye. Every one so far has burned fine and played in most of my players. It seems my Sony NS585 doesn't like any DL media whereas, my older Sony NS900 is fine with them.

I am going to try Traxdata next which uses Ricoh dye. Verbatims are still expensive at ?4 each.

yes, i could not resist and made a +DL copie of my Spiderman movie with the Memorex (Ritek:D01) using ImgBurn. Absolutely no problem to report. Great program.

I guess with brand name, it depend more on the capability of your burner and it's firmware.

When we were testing the PgcEdit burn function, we came ot the exact same conclusion about -R DLs. They don't have a fixed # of sectors or something. We concluded that -Rs were just a troublesome format. Stick to +Rs and set the booktype to DVD_ROM.

Regards

So does that 'conclusion' mean that ImgBurn will never support -R DLs or that we just need to calculate the layer break manually and enter it in the Tools | Settings | Write | Options window?

Just curious...

The program supports burning onto dvd-r dl just fine.

The problem here is why the actual dvd-r dl standard, which doesn't appear to support moving the layer break position - where as dvd+r dl DOES allow it.

Kind sir,

I'm not trying to be as thick as a brick here, but does your response imply that even if I manually set the layer break in Settings that it's not going to have any effect during the burn cycle?

I had a Pioneer A09 and now have a next-gen Pioneer 110D using the latest 1.22 firmware. ImgBurn does indeed work with the drive and normal -R media, but my results to date with -R DLs have been ahem... a costly lesson in frustration. It's been rather a 'wallet-wrenching' experience having to ultimately toss multiple $5 Verbatim -R DLs in the recycling bin. (I stopped after 4...)

I've used both DVDDexxxxer and ImgBurn with lackluster results due to the layer break issue and for the record, Nero hasn't worked with -R DLs either. Images have been tried that were ISOs created with ImgTool Classic and VIDEO_TS files that actually contained he LB information in the VIDEO_TS.xxx file (can't recall the exact file.) Layer 0 plays fine, but in every instance, switching to Layer 1, either while viewing a movie or trying to access extras that reside on L1, locks up both my computer and Pioneer 578A home deck.

I did read through all the threads here before posting and am still a bit confused as to what direction to take going down the road. ImgBurn has 'book' settings for various drives, but the Pioneer isn't listed, so I'm assuming that even using a +R DL will produce disappointing results as the 110D can't be bit-set (true?)

In your valued opinion, would it be a safe assumption to say that at the moment my Pioneer drive is only good for burning 8+ gigs of raw data backups from my hard drives on -R DL media until the standard changes to accomodate moving the layer break position? :'(

Thanks for your patience...

Just curious Babbit - why have you not tried +Rs. I have several burns on Verbatim DL +R, all of them perfect. Can FF and rewind thru the LB.

Setting the LB where you want to is easy with +R. And you can set the booktype. I really think this is the better format.

Regards

Just curious Babbit - why have you not tried +Rs. I have several burns on Verbatim DL +R, all of them perfect. Can FF and rewind thru the LB.

Setting the LB where you want to is easy with +R. And you can set the booktype. I really think this is the better format.

Regards

Greetings blutach,

Actually, I went out yesterday and picked up a 10 pak of Verbatim +R DLs. I had also done some additional research on the web and located a 1.22 firmware upgrade for the Pioneer 110D by The Dangerous Brothers that was a hybrid mixture of the standard Pioneer 1.22 (no bitsetting) and Buffalo 8.20 (OEMed 110D with bitsetting) firmware (CROSS822.ZIP) Flashed the drive and all was good. No support for the 110D as far as ImgBurn and bitsetting, but maybe that will change upon his Lordship learning about the availability of this new firmware release.

Indeed, the +R DLs worked like a charm, but as mentioned, there's no current way to set the Booktype from within ImgBurn. Is there some other method you're using?

As for the better format, I'm still not convinced. From everything I've read, DVD-R is still the closest thing you can get to a pressed DVD, moreso than DVD+R, which is why I held out so long for the Pioneer 109/110 units. Even the oldest home DVD decks and PS2s that I've tossed -Rs into have never hiccuped once during playback. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for +Rs.

Anyway, it's really been an eyeopener to discover (via this forum) that -R DLs don't function similarly to +R DLs in regards to the Layer Break. How Pioneer could overlook something that critical is beyond comprehension. Hopefully that little oversight will get remedied in the near future, along with newer firmware. Otherwise I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing with these -R DLs... :whistling:

Thanks for taking time to reply and perhaps his Lordship will even grace us with a comment about bitsetting support in a future version of ImgBurn. Best regards, eh?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.