Sudden Problems with all VIdeo DVDs

Xmetalfanx

OK, I am having issues with Office Brand DVD-R discs, that I have used (almost exclusively ... brand-wise i mean) and never had issues with .. between CDs and either DVD-r's or DVD+R's (which both play in any of the players mentioned below) ... I have bought hundreds of "OD brand" media and went threw hundreds of DVDs and CDs and only had 1 problem when the power went out in the middle of a burn (not burner or discs fault of course)

I will try to give as much information as possible on the problem. I keep making DVDs, that no matter the programs I try, come out "successfully burnt", though they can not play on any set top player I try, not even my PC that I burnt them on anymore.

My setup player: (will have to look-up the model number later) but its say a 2007-2008 Sony player. It sounds like its trying to read the Disc, but ends up saying "can not read this media" type message. I have used Office Depot Brand media before and the first (guessing at exact number) 30-40 DVDs of this spindle without any problems... SUDDENLY it seems all the DVDs I make are no good ... 10 bad ones so far. I WANT TO MENTION all original DVDs and DVDs I burnt even a few days ago before this issue started load up instantly and have no problems at all. This seems to me to rule out the DVD player going bad.

A relative gave me a small non-name brand travel DVDs player that has the ability to be hooked up to the TV and it plays 1 out of 10 discs, but only after like 10 minutes of "loading" ... like the Sony ... all other discs (burnt before issue or original) have NO ISSUE player at all.

Phillips 5-DVD changer/surround sound system (not my dvd player, but one i tried it on) ... plays the same 1 DVD the portable player plays .. no lag on "loadup" ... all other DVDs are not even "loadable"

NO "burner" driver upgrades done and no major software (say SP) updates done recently

DVDInfo Pro (trial) everything (not counting burn date) is the same on a good DVD i have and the bad dvd.

The "name" of the media is RITEK1, UDF format is 1.02, same (2.5.3.0 though I did just upgrade to 2.5.5.0 a few minutes ago) Imgburn version (though other burning software (I will not mention rival programs here0 the same thing in the end.. Several programs say "successfully burnt" and give no indication of any errors. The same "good" burnt DVDs and "original" Dvds play fine in the laptop's (only DVD burner I have) and they load in usual time.

I am going to pickup (in a few days) a 100pk of DVDs on sale at OD this week (Ativa ... which are almost the only non "OD brand" media I have used and have used 100's of discs over the years and never had issues) for 15.99 ... even without this problem .. (if its a bad spindle i have now) .... that's a good deal anyway.

I am worried its not the DVD media itself .. cause if its not .. I am out of ideas ... I really cant seem to pinpoint the issue. I am thinking its bad media though and though I have not had any problems since a (@2006 pack of Sony DVds that it seemed that 3/4 of the spindle was bad.... tried a different brand media and it burnt a-ok ... different PC at the time though ) .. I am thinking its the same issue (media). I am just going nuts trying to check all the burner programs's settings (though nothing has been changed by me)

I have also ran multiple DVD/CD lens cleaners threw each DVD player and the burner ... the only media that is not playing is the DVD media I burn from this spindle ... like I said ... the first say 35-ish DVDs were a-ok and they STILL play on all drives/players .

I am also (probably will have sent off email by the time I get a response to this) to office depot ... I have gotten rid of a few bad DVDs so far, but as far as the spindle goes .... I still have say 50 of 100 left roughly ... even considering that sale i mentioned, and how I will buy that 100pk).... I wonder if there is anything they can do... like give me the 15.99 spindle of 100pk for say 7.99 (+tax) or something IF I CAN RETURN the spindle I have now... I will of course check their policies first. I am not even sure if (though I'd be my first bet) the media itself IS the issue.

Thanks in advanced for any info and comments

-Xmetalfanx

I will include a log of a test burn I did but unfortunately i did not safe the logs of the bad burns. Maybe I will try another DVD (do not want to use too many just in case i can get a discount if say i return 1/2 the spindle) to get a better log file for you guys to look at

ImgBurn.log

Edited by Xmetalfanx

Do a proper 8x burn.

Turn off 'Test Mode'.

Turn on 'Verify'.

Post a new log.

I have no faith in slimline drives and I wouldn't use one unless I really really REALLY had to.

RITEKF1 is just a cheapo MID/dye.

If you want to test something out properly (i.e. before throwing it away) then you need to use decent media - Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

If it doesn't produce a working disc on Verbatim / Taiyo Yuden media, get a new drive (you could try cleaning it with a cleaning disc first though).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.