Lockup during DL disc closing ("waiting for device buffer thread")

headhuntertx

I just started using ImgBurn recently and I really like it.

However, I've run into a problem the last couple of days. I have a Pioneer DVR-111D drive with firmware 1.23 and have been burning onto Verbatim DL discs (MKM-001-00). The first 4 DL images I burned were perfect. However, the next 5 I tried all ended with ImgBurn locking up during the closing/finishing stage. All the data would finish writing, the progress would get to 100%, the program buffer would empty down to 0%, but then the device buffer would not move and the program would lock up at this point. Also, the bottom-left corner of the window would say "Waiting for Device Buffer Thread".

I tried burning again the next day after a fresh reboot and 2 burns finished with no problems. I thought my problems may have been heat related or perhaps there was an interfering app. However, after that, I ran into the same problem again and made 2 more coasters.

Attached is a screenshot of the program when it locks up. I could not save a logfile because the app locks up and I have to kill it with task manager.

I was really bummed because I had just made 7 expensive coasters, but after searching this forum, I did find out that I could at least "rescue" the discs. Since all the data was written ok and just locked up during the closing of the disc, I found that if I used Tools->Drive->Close->Track and Tools->Drive->Close->Disc, then the discs came out ok!

Thanks. btw, my system is XP SP2 and I am using SPTI.

post-3612-1155001918_thumb.jpg

maybe you can post a full log please? Copy and paste the whole window, or perhaps it is stored in your ImgBurn program files folder. And that's smart about "Close Disc", cos clearly the disc is not being closed.

Regards

I would prefer to read the log without the debug info, it doesn't actually 'add' anything here and infact means I miss other bits I want to read.

It's very odd that the entire program locks up... that 'waiting' is done inside a thread and so would have no effect on the GUI at all.

Out of interest, are you able to cancel a burn without this problem?

Try it on a -RW/+RW, or use 'Test Mode' on -R media.

Just set it burning and then stop/cancel it after a minute or so.

I would prefer to read the log without the debug info, it doesn't actually 'add' anything here and infact means I miss other bits I want to read.

It's very odd that the entire program locks up... that 'waiting' is done inside a thread and so would have no effect on the GUI at all.

Out of interest, are you able to cancel a burn without this problem?

Try it on a -RW/+RW, or use 'Test Mode' on -R media.

Just set it burning and then stop/cancel it after a minute or so.

I've burned a couple of SL discs without problems, but I'll try to test some more.

Yes, once it gets to the 'waiting for device buffer thread message', the Time Elapsed will still continue to rise, until I click anywhere on the GUI. At that point, it stops counting and the rest of the app becomes unresponsive. I have to use task manager to kill it. Then, since the drive is still locked, I have to open the app again and click the eject button to eject the disc. At this point, I can then put it back in and manually finish the disc.

Perhaps a hardware problem? I also have an NEC 33550a, I'll try it out on that burner and see if it exhibits any similar problem.

Of course, I burned 2 more discs last night and they both worked perfectly fine, finalized the disc and all ;)

Thank you!

Edited by headhuntertx

I did notice you're burning via some other program, unless you're actually manually setting the layerbreak position in the settings - is that correct?

Just wondering if you get the same problem loading the ISO manually in the program.

I (nor any othe beta team) have reproduced this error so it's tricky to fix.

Code wise, everything looks as it should do.

If you can find v1.3 on the web, try that version and see if it does the same thing. (You'd have to test it a few times to be sure it wasn't fluke!)

I did notice you're burning via some other program, unless you're actually manually setting the layerbreak position in the settings - is that correct?

Just wondering if you get the same problem loading the ISO manually in the program.

I (nor any othe beta team) have reproduced this error so it's tricky to fix.

Code wise, everything looks as it should do.

If you can find v1.3 on the web, try that version and see if it does the same thing. (You'd have to test it a few times to be sure it wasn't fluke!)

I did not use any other program to load ImgBurn, I loaded the ISO directly, and yes, I did set the layer break manually.

I think I figured out what was causing my problems. Alcohol 120%! I noticed the virtual devices it creates and had a hunch it was doing something. I Googled it and saw others were having problems caused by A120 also. I not only had to uninstall the program, I had to manually delete the devices from device manager, remove the services from the registry, and delete the driver files.

So far I've burned 1 DL and 2 SL's (which I did not think had the same problems I had experienced with the DL's, but in fact did) without problems.

It must be a problem with A120 or corrupt A120 drivers. I had the same problem with Daemon Tools ages ago which L_UK had to troubleshoot for me. :) . Heaps of problems with it. It wasn't D-Tools though but a driver it used had corrupted causing chaos with damned near everything. Killing it off was the only solution. The rest of my winboxes worked fine with D-Tools running, just not the one I wanted to use. That's life, huh?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.