Do NOT buy Memorex Lightscribe CD-R's!

dbminter

Not only that, but, there is no decent Lightscribe media at all! Taiyo Yuden doesn't make Lightscribe CD-R's, as far as I know, yet. I wish they'd make one as it's probably the only good quality one that would ever show up as HP and Memorex both use CMC for their Lightscribes. Memorex also uses CMC in their Lightscribe DVD-R's. I got some to test my Lightscribe drive for the first time, so, I only needed them as junkers. I tried burning a temporary DVD to one for my mother to play something she wanted and to my surprise the burn finished. But, NOT to my surprise, the disc failed to even be recognized as a DVD by her player. :rolleyes:

I have strange results with +R DLs and my cheapo DVD player. Before I discovered Imgburn and had a working notebook, I burned ('successfully'), DL media on it's drive with nero. These were Memorex DLs mostly, so I am sure they are CMC discs, but a few Verbatim discs too. They seem to load and play, and now though when I use Verbatims on my normal burner my player seems to mistake them for actual CD-ROMs, so instead of playing the disc it just goes into a screen showing directory listings. :wacko:

I'm not too concerned that the discs are bad, because I always verify afterwards and these are the recommended MIDs (MKM), so I am blaming the player, and unfortunately my parents have yet another cheapo player and even worse it is those f'ing VCR/DVD combos. I'm thinking of going to my local electronics store to see what the results are on testing one of my discs on the bluray players (since I'm sure you can't even find a dvdplayer anymore hooked up to the flatscreens on the sales floor).

Now that I finally got myself a means of income, I might consider a bluray player but first after having done some extensive research on it's capabilities, especially with BD-R DL media and such. I also suppose the jury is still out on LTH media, since nobody is really using those most likely due to price, but that would be the ultimate irony right there due to LTH media being produced on 'current CD/DVD media lines, thus making them less expensive' or whatever the claim was about LTH.

Still I most likely wouldn't be putting the bluray to full use, as I am very annoyed with bluray movies and their even more draconian DRM rubbish. Nevermind about HD, and buying a new TV. I probably wouldn't even go with HDMI, and just stick with component video. Thanks DRM! <_<

Though all that is a very very low priority, since my first task is when I can save up some cash is to finally buy (build) a decent computer.

And as for bluray I am more interested in the higher capacity, as I am really getting swamped with DVDs, and it would be nice to cut down on all those discs, with blurays.

Edited by Rincewind

These were Memorex DLs mostly, so I am sure they are CMC discs, but a few Verbatim discs too.

Memorex mixes the quality of their media. Sometimes, you get a good manufacturer like MKM on DVD+R or MKM on Ultra Speed CD-RW. One of the reasons I was willing to give their CD-R's a try was because they have a quality Ultra CD-RW.

I'm not too concerned that the discs are bad, because I always verify afterwards and these are the recommended MIDs (MKM), so I am blaming the player, and unfortunately my parents have yet another cheapo player and even worse it is those f'ing VCR/DVD combos.

Same with my mother's. It's a combo device. I remember a Sony one I took back because its DVD player wouldn't even recognize Sony DVD-R's!

And as for bluray I am more interested in the higher capacity, as I am really getting swamped with DVDs, and it would be nice to cut down on all those discs, with blurays.

Only reason I have a Blu-Ray player is I needed to replace my PS2 DVD player and the slim PS2's are terrible at playing recordable DVD's. So, I got a PS3. But, I don't own any Blu-Ray movies or have a Blu-Ray burner. I'd also like to have a Blu-Ray burner. Backups of Windows are now so large that it takes 4 DVD's to make a single backup!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.