Chck BD file structure before burning

Manni01

Hi There,

As this is my first post, hello everyone.

First of all, thanks to a great program. I made a donation a while ago as I use it almost daily, and it's so good I never had to post anything. Something rare enough to be praised!

Here is a simple suggestion:

IMGBURN cleverly checks for a CERTIFICATE folder, and adds one if it's not there.

That's great, and it's enough for some software (like TMT), but other software like PDVD do a more stringent test on BD structure compliance and if the whole structure is not present, the disc is not playable. The folders most often missing are AUXDATA in BDMV, and BDJO (both in BDMV and in BDMV\BACKUP).

Could you please do a check on the whole structure and add any missing folder?

For those who wonder why some BDs are playable with PDVD and some are not, here is the structure to check (before hopefully IMGBURN does it for us :)):

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> BDMV

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> CERTIFICATE

Content of \BDMV

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> PLAYLIST

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> CLIPINF

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> STREAM

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> AUXDATA

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> META

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> BDJO

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> JAR

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> BACKUP

Content of \BDMV\BACKUP

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> PLAYLIST

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> CLIPINF

05/31/2006 05:21 AM <DIR> BDJO

If any of these dirs is missing, simply add an empty one and the BD will play fine with any software, including PDVD (providing there is not another issue of course).

Edited by Manni01

Which (if any) versions of PowerDVD have you tested this out on?

Have you checked that your modified structure is still playable on WinDVD/TMT?

What about standalone players? Sony PS3 etc?

Hi there,

When one of the mandatory folders is missing in an ISO image or a disc (even if the original folder is empty), any version of PowerDVD (including the latest one) will refuse to play it.

As long as it is empty (which is the case for many titles), TMT will be happy to play a structure which has no AUXDATA or BDJO for example.

You can try this with any bluray, and any version of TMT or PDVD. A structure with a missing empty AUXDATA will always play on TMT (again, provided the folder doesn't contain anything to start with), and will never play with PDVD.

I don't know about WinDVD, I stopped using it in 1996:).

Standalone players tend to behave like PowerDVD and refuse to play a structure if one or more of the mandatory folders is/are missing (even if empty). I haven't tested all brands, but it seems to be the case at least on Sony and Panasonic players.

Please note that this is only an issue if you try to play an ISO image (or a burnt disc).

Mediaplayers tend to be more lenient (like TMT), especially if they accept BD Folders. I assume that the latest version of PDVD11, which handles BD Folders, might be fine playing a structure with a missing folder, but it still has issues if it's a mounted BD ISO (or a burnt disc).

This is why I use PDVD to check that my ISOs are playable, but it's easy to miss a folder and to have to re-burn / re-create the ISO.

I think it would solve a lot of issues for people who burn a structure with IMGBURN without knowing this, can play the ISO or the disc with TMT but can't play it with PDVD or a standalone player.

I know the issue, so when the image doesn't work I know what to check for and how to correct it, but otherwise it really looks like a faulty image/disc.

I have never encountered a situation where adding the missing folder(s) prevents the ISO/disc from being played, with either a software, standalone or media player.

Edited by Manni01

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for implementing this in 2.5.6.0. It seems to work fine.

However, it looks like you have changed something in the default label name.

Before, it would use the source folder name (the folder containing the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders) for both the ISO default name and the label name, now it seems to be using the source folder name only for the ISO default name, and the destination folder name for the label. Any way to revert to the old naming behaviour?

Thanks!

Edited by Manni01

There isn't, no. Sorry!

It's a result of adding support for reading the potential volume name from the XML file.

I've just made changes to the code to improve things though.

Understood, but unfortunately the new code (I mean, before the changes you mentin which I I haven't seen yet!) doesn't work.

All the label names it comes up with are fancy nmes with spaces, special chracters, etc.

Volume names are usually something like BAD_TEACHER, not Bad Teacher 2011 ©

Any chance to get a simple option like volume name = file name?

You get the file name right (it's the same as the source folder by default), so why not having the option of using the same for label as before?

Otherwise is there a way to download the version before the last one (I foolishly haven't kept it)?

This is a problem with every burn, while the missing BDMV folder is an issue only once in a while, so I'd rather deal with that...

Thanks!

Edited by Manni01

The reading of the name from the XML is linked to the DVD Video option called 'Volume Label - Read DVD Text Data'.

So if that gets disabled, it won't read from the XML.

The trouble is, the code as it is in 2.5.6.0 won't fallback to the older method (I don't think) because an internal variable had been modified.

Your initial suggestion is in no way linked to this new issue you're having.

The reading of the name from the XML is linked to the DVD Video option called 'Volume Label - Read DVD Text Data'.

So if that gets disabled, it won't read from the XML.

The trouble is, the code as it is in 2.5.6.0 won't fallback to the older method (I don't think) because an internal variable had been modified.

Your initial suggestion is in no way linked to this new issue you're having.

Thanks.

I tried disabling this option (which was checked, you were right), but it now comes up with a non-related two letter volume name, not the source folder name as it used to before the update.

I have no idea what has changed in the new code, but I know that it worked fine before, and used the source folder name as defaut for both the file name and the volume label :)

If there is no way to revert to the last version, I guess I'll just have to copy and paste the file name... not a great solution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.